What's new

What is Stonehaven exactly?

If we stove Stonehaven I expect angels with harps descending down, followed by the rumble of the earth, the blinding of bright lights and then......

we just create something even MORE difficult to get.

My guess, we create Butera Kingfisher haha

So I finally scored a half pound of Stonehaven... first time for me. It's pretty darned unique stuff, no doubt on that. The tin/bag note is so heavy, dark, fruity... it's almost too intense. Yet the smoke is super gentle and light, with just hints of the scent from the flakes in the smoke. Such a weird set of extremes for a pipe tobacco.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This reminds me, I still have a flake left from a sample I received. I need to get around to smoking it.

Yep. This, I'm afraid. Nothing else is similar. Uni Flake? Enjoyable in its own way, but not close. I've heard Rattray's Wallace Flake from a couple people now, so that may be worth looking into. Dogged persistence has helped me accrue a good stash of Stonehaven, though, so I've pretty much stopped trying to find anything "like" it. I smoke other blends that I like, several of which are in the same general realm, and I pull out the Stonehaven when I feel like a special bowl.
A follow up:

Reviewing my cellar on tobaccocellar.com, I realized that I have finished four 4 oz. jars of Stonehaven - one pound - over the last four years. With five pounds sitting in my cellar now, either:

a) I already have enough to last me for the next 20 years; or,

b) I need to start finding more "special occasions" to smoke Stonehaven, like days that end in -y.

I think the choice is obvious. :001_cool:

A follow up:

Reviewing my cellar on tobaccocellar.com, I realized that I have finished four 4 oz. jars of Stonehaven - one pound - over the last four years. With five pounds sitting in my cellar now, either:

b) I need to start finding more "special occasions" to smoke Stonehaven, like days that end in -y.

Definitely an obvious choice there. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A follow up:

c) Epic PIF

I fixed that for you :biggrin:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A follow up:

c) Epic PIF to TexLaw.

I fixed it better.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Interesting read! I've got 30 pounds of baccy cellared and 3 of it is Stonehaven. Honestly, it's not my favorite (That would be Ramsgate..) but two blends might scratch your itch. One is reasonable the other... Not so much. The reasonable blend would be Sam Gawiths Lakeland Dark. It is described as unscented 1792 Flake and to me it's like Peterson Irish Flake and MacBaren's Old Dark Fired had a baby. Sweet and smokey with a soild wallop of nic...
The unreasonable one is Edgeworth Sliced. I have a weakness for "Vintage" pipe tobacco and with 30 years (UK production) on it Edgeworth stomps all over Stonehaven. There is a newer Danish version (2000's vintage) but I havent popped ones of those tins yet... Sadly, a 100g tinm starts at about $40.00and can get stupid from there.

Top Bottom