What's new

What Is Rotation?

Hello Gents!
'Rotation' must be one of the mostly widely used terms in wet shaving. I understand obviously that it means using items in a fixed order which is then repeated, and that this applies to Razors, soaps, the works.

However I have found no actual explanation as to what a rotation should be, in terms of time, items best rotated or not, or anything beyond the term itself.

So, can anyone advise just what is 'best practice' in rotation of razors, blades, soaps etc, and how others go about it?

I have still very little to rotate, but my razor collection is growing modestly, so that my razor use choice is already out of whack. I have 6 razors, about 6 different blade types, 4 soaps, 2 brushes, 2 aftershaves with one coming, and one balm. A solution is obviously to stop acquiring stuff and get very familiar with what you have.

Any tips on what a typical rotation should be?

Last edited:
For me, rotation is freestyle.

I rotate blades when they are starting to dull, or when I simply yearn for something new.

I rotate razors when I have a little more growth, or when I simply feel like dragging one out for the day.

I rotate soaps, well... you get the idea by now! :)

Shaving is pleasurable (at least it should be): part of that pleasure comes from combining all of the parts of the experience on the day and seeing what alchemy arises.

I'm sure others, especially those with impressive den inventories, will have more formal methods, but we all end up in the same place.

I'm with you on one thing: for me, a smaller den makes things simpler. I wouldn't want to be paralyzed by choice, or to feel that I had hardware or software sitting around gathering dust. But that is just my peculiar personality. :p

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hello Gents!
'Rotation' must be one of the mostly widely used terms in wet shaving. I understand obviously that it means using items in a fixed order which is then repeated, and that this applies to Razors, soaps, the works.

However I have found no actual explanation as to what a rotation should be, in terms of time, items best rotated or not, or anything beyond the term itself.

So, can anyone advise just what is 'best practice' in rotation of razors, blades, soaps etc, and how others go about it?

I have still very little to rotate, but my razor collection is growing modestly, so that my razor use choice is already out of whack. I have 6 razors, about 6 different blade types, 4 soaps, 2 brushes, 2 aftershaves with one coming, and one balm. A solution is obviously to stop acquiring stuff and get very familiar with what you have.

Any tips on what a typical rotation should be?

I think us Brits tend to think of "rotations", as fixed dogmatic systems. However, across the pond, "in rotation" seems to be more like us saying "in circulation" i.e getting used, but not all the time. As best as I can determine anyway.

However, every time I read it, my brain automatically defaults to the dogmatic system interpretation too, so you're certainly not alone in your confusion. I used to wonder (and often still do when my brain is stuck in British mode) why the heck people had to rely on having systems for everything, and couldn't just pick up whatever they felt like using, and just use that...

I rotate through different soaps, creams, razors and blades 100% on what I feel like doing. Sometimes I like to use something multiple times in a row and sometimes I like to use it once and then try something else. Lately I have gotten into the habit of using the same razor and blade multiple times in a row to see how it performs shave to shave. When I switch after each shave it doesn't give me the same reference point. But IMO it is totally up to you how you want to rotate. Some members enjoy lots of variety and others prefer using their favorite items more frequently.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think us Brits tend to think of "rotations", as fixed dogmatic systems. However, across the pond, "in rotation" seems to be more like us saying "in circulation" i.e getting used, but not all the time. As best as I can determine anyway.

However, every time I read it, my brain automatically defaults to the dogmatic system interpretation too, so you're certainly not alone in your confusion. I used to wonder (and often still do when my brain is stuck in British mode) why the heck people had to rely on having systems for everything, and couldn't just pick up whatever they felt like using, and just use that...
Yes, rotation for me = in active circulation. The razors, brushes and soaps I’m currently using in no particular order are in my rotation. Right?

For me, it’s using something different with each shave, aside from blades as I do 3-4 shaves, but once I change it, it’s a different brand.

I have my favourites so I use some soaps and AS more than others, but they all get use, just at different rates.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Must be a British thing. Aussies consider it the same as @Ravenonrock does above.

Currently I try to use every razor 3 times in a row. I always change the brush and use one of 2-3 open soaps or creams. I’m near the bottom of a 400ml Vitos AS so I use it for the majority of my shaves until it’s gone.
577AB47F-7CD8-4460-9475-8EF59FCE4EF8.jpeg

C70A6438-CB2E-45B8-9E54-B9A6A2A0262E.jpeg

9E675A8B-C1FC-485C-8E11-7BF0F0F284BE.jpeg

Last edited:
My brushes are used in strict rotation (i.e., what I now understand to be the British version). I tend to stick with whichever blade I happen to be using (picked haphazardly from a small bowl) but may pick a different razor depending on the day’s activities. All of my razors are in rotation (American version), with some being used more than others depending on the vagaries of life. The soaps are mostly in British-style rotation, but I may switch it up a little depending on which brush is up that day. I do try to pick a balm that doesn’t conflict with the soap of the day.

As others have said, it is supposed to be fun....not a math problem.

In my case, ’rotation’ means that the product is in the stack of stuff that gets used.

I do not rotate razors these days, down to a ‘daily driver’ plus a ‘travel razor.’

Blades are another story! I have a ‘top tier’ which get used frequently, ’a mid tier’ which get used occasionally, and some ‘bottom tier‘ blades that I keep if I like the graphics.

Brushes, soaps, AS are in rotation’ (basically whatever strikes my fancy on a given AM) or get passed on.

I think us Brits tend to think of "rotations", as fixed dogmatic systems.
I'm British and I think of it in a very informal way. There are typically 5 or 6 razors that I have on my bathroom windowsill with blades in, ready to be picked up and used, and others stored in a box in a cupboard. The former are in my rotation as they get used randomly but regularly, depending on my mood and how the shave is going.

Top Bottom