What's new

What is a saloon box?

I was looking at bulk DE blades on West Coast's site and they show the Gillette Black 7 O'clock blade in two configurations. Though the price was the same one configuration looked like the standard cardboard tuck box, but the other configuration was in something called a black saloon box. What is a saloon box? - inquiring minds want to know.

They use "saloon" where we say "salon". It's basically a bulk box meant for sale to barbers and beauty shops, because normal people don't buy blades 100 at a time.

black saloon box
These are the blades made in India and the saloon box is a metal box they ship in. The box was / is used for pencils and geometry items for school kids. Have not got the full details on this.
gillette black.jpg

“Salon” box makes more sense than saloon box, but “saloon” was what was on the WCS website description.

“Salon” box makes more sense than saloon box, but “saloon” was what was on the WCS website description.

Yes, that's because the product is from India and that is how Indians describe this product. Indian English is a rather nonstandard thing to those of us raised in the US.

I work in information technology, a field also well occupied by people from the subcontinent, so I'm pretty used to the way they treat the English language. It can be simultaneously charming and annoying. Please do the needful. :)

Yes, that's because the product is from India and that is how Indians describe this product. Indian English is a rather nonstandard thing to those of us raised in the US.

I work in information technology, a field also well occupied by people from the subcontinent, so I'm pretty used to the way they treat the English language. It can be simultaneously charming and annoying. Please do the needful. :)
Thanks for the Indian angle. In context I can now see the use of “saloon” because those particular blades are made in India. Live and learn. :)

@Laird,

@RayClem,
We're not crazy, we're the only sane ones. Everyone else is brainwashed by the advertising.:biggrin:

Most of us are OCD. We are Obsessed with getting a great shave. We get downright compulsive when it comes to buying razors, razor blades, brushes, soaps, etc. That is where the Disorders come in: RAD, RBAD, SBAD, SAD, etc. Thus, to the rest of the world, we are crazy, but in reality, we may be the only sane ones.

Top Bottom