What's new

What USA company made drugstore brand razor blades in the 1970s?

I got a vintage Gillette razor from eBay over a year ago. The seller included a pack of drugstore brand blades in a package where the blades slide out of a little box (used blades go in the bottom of the little box). There are no markings on the blades other than painted arrows showing the direction to push the blades out of the box and painted "made in USA" on the blades. I'm guessing they were from the 1970s because they were in a plastic/cardboard package that had no UPC code printed on it.

Does anyone know which company made razor blades for drugstores in the 1970s?

By the way, these vintage stainless steel blades are the smoothest I've ever used. I used one and couldn't even tell I was shaving, since I felt nothing. The shave was perfect, though.

I'm not sure about the 70s but I know a lot of them more recently have been Personna.

A lot of those blade cases don't have much information on them; I wouldn't expect them to have a UPC code even today.

A picture might help though.

Most likely personna depending on packaging but in addition to the big three (Gillette, Schick, Personna) a forth smaller manufacturer was able to survive the transition to stainless. UFI Industries Inc in New York NY went bankrupt sometime around 1973, The Scottish plant producing the original Perma-sharp blades.

I'm not sure about the 70s but I know a lot of them more recently have been Personna.

A lot of those blade cases don't have much information on them; I wouldn't expect them to have a UPC code even today.

A picture might help though.
This is all I have. The cardboard package is gone, but it didn't say anything relevant.

Attachments

• 20240125_155328-01.jpeg
    20240125_155328-01.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240125_155342-01.jpeg
    20240125_155342-01.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
This is all I have. The cardboard package is gone, but it didn't say anything relevant.
The patent number of that dispenser was for a patent held by American Safety Razor, which was the manufacturer of Personna for awhile. So, probably Personna.

Interesting to think about being the person who patented that dispenser but that's a different topic.

The patent number of that dispenser was for a patent held by American Safety Razor, which was the manufacturer of Personna for awhile. So, probably Personna.

Interesting to think about being the person who patented that dispenser but that's a different topic.
Would current Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep blades be similar to those vintage blades?

Top Bottom