What's new

what is a "pass"

I start at a sideburn and make short (2 - 3 inch) strokes. I stay in an area until I don't hear the sound of cutting anymore, then move down and repeat. Then do the other side. Then I feel my face and usually detect some stubble along the jaw line. I re-lather and hit the stubble again, with XTG and ATG strokes. Is that one pass and a clean-up? Multiple passes because I night go over a small area several times? How do you count "passes"?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Passes are something that Michael Vick used to throw on a football field, but will soon receive in the grey motel.

Sounds like you're overshaving. One pass consists of one stroke over each area of the face. Try not to make multiple strokes without relathering in between to avoid irritation.

I start at a sideburn and make short (2 - 3 inch) strokes. I stay in an area until I don't hear the sound of cutting anymore, then move down and repeat. Then do the other side. Then I feel my face and usually detect some stubble along the jaw line. I re-lather and hit the stubble again, with XTG and ATG strokes. Is that one pass and a clean-up? Multiple passes because I night go over a small area several times? How do you count "passes"?

Roman --

A great starting point to learn about 'passes' and wet-shaving techniques is to view Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on YouTube on the net. Follow up by reading Leisureguy's shave blog.

These will get you off on the right foot.

-- John Gehman

Essentially, when you do a pass, this means you've shaved your beard once entirely. Wet shaving involves shaving in passes with each pass reducing, though not necessarily eliminating, the amount of stubble on your face (direct quote from mantic's video:tongue: ).

Only go over your face once, using slightly overlapping strokes, then relather. Otherwise you are overshaving. The idea behind wet shaving or traditional shaving is to always keep some kind of barrier between your face and the blade. Now, if you have a modern multiblade razor, it has lubrication strips to try to cover over the sin of overshaving, but you simply cannot overshave with a razor like a double edge or injector without risking the wrath of the Shaving Gods.

Top Bottom