What's new

WTG doesn't do anything. Some advice.

I have been DE shaving for over a month now and, for the most part, I would say I have the technique dialed in - still have learning, of course. However, one thing I have discovered is that a WTG pass seems to do absolutely nothing for me. Sure, it removes the lather and there is audible and tactile feedback, but as for removing whiskers, nope. When I go XTG, then there is reduction.

I am using a Merkur 34C, which some would say is a mild razor, others upper-mild or mid-aggressive. I have a sampler of blades that I have been testing and while I haven't touched the Feather blade yet, the ones I have used range from mild to pretty sharp:

Astra SP
Astra SS
Dorco ST-301
Personna Blue Platinum
Shark SS
Shark SC
Bolzano Superinox
Sharp 7am
Lord Platinum
Treet Platinum
Derby Extra
Derby Premium

Theoretically, out of these blades so far, there should be decent stubble removal on a WTG pass. The first time using a blade I would try WTG to see if the issue was due to sharpness or lack thereof, but the pass didn't produce. Standard WTG/XTG/ATG with lots of touch up would give me a CCS (maybe) but for the most part as SAS. Second and later shaves I would do an XTG pass first (in either direction) which would do a good amount of removal, then XTG the other way, then ATG. That would give me a DFS/CCS depending on the blade, BBS/DFS if I had time and really worked it.

I know that some might just say "well do what works for you," but I wonder about why I see and hear others all talking about the WTG doing the major removal (and many online videos show people plowing down days' worth of growth on WTG) and I can't even get any.

Could the 34C be too mild a razor for me? While my whiskers aren't crazy or wiry, there is gray, and they have gotten thicker/coarser. Should I jump to the Feather blade to see if I need a super sharp blade? Should I try to use a shim to see if that provides additional aggressiveness? Or should I just ditch the WTG and go XTG/XTG/ATG and be done with worrying?

Thoughts?

WTG using a 34C and proper blade angle should easily remove some hair. If it's not then you are doing something wrong. Some of the blades you mentioned are not my favorites but most of them should cut whiskers. My guess is you have a technique issue at play here.

NOTE: not everyone has beard hair that grows straight down. You may want to let a couple days grow out, then map your beard. That used to be a standard thing for people to do but got pushed by the wayside somehow. There used to be a printout for it.

The 34C has a very narrow cutting window so you are missing the right angle. Play a bit with the handle up or down to see when it starts cutting. I like mine with a Bic Chrome Platinum or Wizamet.

10DD17FF-130E-4680-A304-8A330E51EB2B.jpeg

WTG using a 34C and proper blade angle should easily remove some hair. If it's not then you are doing something wrong. Some of the blades you mentioned are not my favorites but most of them should cut whiskers. My guess is you have a technique issue at play here.
The interesting thing is that doing a WTG on the face is one of the easiest to see if the technique and blade angle is proper. I can have the head at the proper angle, going WTG, and really, not much is removed. I have tried it with both long and short strokes. That's what has me so baffled here.

NOTE: not everyone has beard hair that grows straight down. You may want to let a couple days grow out, then map your beard. That used to be a standard thing for people to do but got pushed by the wayside somehow. There used to be a printout for it.
I have mapped my beard and that's how I follow it for the types of passes.

BTW, appreciate the input. 🙂

Last edited:
If it's not removing anything, your angle or techinique is wrong. WTG at any stage of a shave, should remove stubble.

Try doing a first pass WTG and see what it does.

I do a 2 pass. WTG/ATG. Each pass removes significant whiskers and leaves me with a quick, irritation free, smooth shave.

Last edited:
The 34C has a very narrow cutting window so you are missing the right angle. Play a bit with the handle up or down to see when it starts cutting.
I can try to adjust a bit, but for a WTG pass I can see the cap/blade/base and its angle and according to all I've seen regarding this, I have it proper. When doing an XTG, you can't really see all that and it is mostly by feel, yet I can get good removal on that pass.

I will see if playing around with angle and saying, "screw it!" to what should be proper works! 🙂

If it's not removing anything, your angle or techinique is wrong. WTG at any stage of a shave, should remove stubble.
I know! WTG should do something, that's what has me so perplexed. Apparently, no problem with XTG or ATG angle/technique, but the simple one?

Try doing a first pass WTG and see what it does.
Um, that's what I was doing and not getting anything. Hence, the topic.

I know! WTG should do something, that's what has me so perplexed. Apparently, no problem with XTG or ATG angle/technique, but the simple one?

Um, that's what I was doing and not getting anything. Hence, the topic.
Sorry, I was thinking you were talking about ATG in my mind.

A WTG pass on pass 1 has to remove something, unless you have wicked poor angle or technique. No one has that coarse beard hair.

I can try to adjust a bit, but for a WTG pass I can see the cap/blade/base and its angle and according to all I've seen regarding this, I have it proper.

Don't worry about how it looks. When it's right you will feel it. If it isn't shaving cleanly but is snagging and uncomfortable then either the angle isn't quite right and / or a sharper blade is needed. If there is no sensation at all, the angle is way out.

None of those blades would make it into my category of "blades I like to use with mild razors" except maybe the ASP - I mean, I can use them but I have 1000s of shaves under my belt. Try a Feather - that was always my favourite in the 34c, and my 34c is the older and more aggressive version. See if it makes a difference but go carefully - it's much sharper than the blades you have been using.

When was your 34C bought. @Goblin made an observation that the recent years have been made milder than the ones a decade or more ago.

+1
You need sharper blades for it.
I purchased it in September. So, that would make it extremely new.

Several of the blades I have used would be considered sharp like the Astras or Personna. I still have Gillette Platinum, Wilkinson Sword, Perma-Sharp, and the Feather to try.

Yes, I have it mapped. No, it is not north to south all over.
So you catch the stubble XTG and ATG just not WTG? How are the results overall? Do you still feel stubble once you finished?

I would still say it’s the angle and a sharper blade makes it easier to find it. Perma-Sharp is a good one the Feather maybe for a little later.

So you catch the stubble XTG and ATG just not WTG? How are the results overall? Do you still feel stubble once you finished?

I would still say it’s the angle and a sharper blade makes it easier to find it. Perma-Sharp is a good one the Feather maybe for a little later.
Yep - XTG in either direction does a decent job at removal. Then with the other XTG and then ATG I have a pretty good shave. Might need a touch-up here or there for stubborn areas (far sides of the neck). But other than that, it's a good shave. And XTG passes are difficult to see the actual angle.

What I will do tomorrow morning, still using the Sharp 7am blade (since it will only be shave #2 on it and supposedly any blade should work), is to play around with the WTG razor angle (as suggested by many, thanks!) without looking at it, and just go by "feel". Perhaps what I am viewing as being the proper contact angle (30 deg) with both safety bar and cap touching the skin isn't actually what is going on. 🤔

Try a Feather - that was always my favourite in the 34c, and my 34c is the older and more aggressive version.
When was the model changed and what was the blade gap difference? I bought one in 2016 as a backup razor, seems to be a "normal" razor though I never measured the blade gap or anything.

When was the model changed and what was the blade gap difference? I bought one in 2016 as a backup razor, seems to be a "normal" razor though I never measured the blade gap or anything.

I can't remember exactly when it changed but I think 2016 would be the older one. Eyeballing new and old side by side, new looks to be circa 3/4 or 2/3 the gap of the old one, although I never measured either and sold the new one instead of using it (purchased it as a back up but since it wasn't the same anymore there was no point).

If you have a round, fully threaded post, it's old. If your post has flat, unthreaded bits on either side, it's new.

If doing x and against shaves you well.......keep doing it.....and keep the lather.....

Or at some point try a different razor?

Something doesn't add up. When you have the angle correct, you should hear whiskers being cut. Wait till you have significant stubble, then try your WTG strokes again. Try starting with just the razor guard touching the skin, then rotate the handle gradually upward (toward the horizontal) until you hear the whiskers being cut. This is the same for everybody.

Top Bottom