What's new

What happened when I boiled a razor

Thought this might be of interest to other newbies. It seems like common sense to disinfect a used razor. I read the cleaning and disinfecting wiki here, asked some questions, and disinfected most of my used razors with a Barbicide solution. The wiki, and a number of threads cautioned strongly against boiling a razor, saying it could cause permanent damage. So naturally I had to try it on at least one. :wink2: Not a gold plated one, though.

I picked a Gillette travel tech, probably nickel plate (?), which looked practically untouched. Very shiny, in a plastic travel case that didn't show any wear. You can imagine somebody getting this as a present 40 years ago, then sticking it in a drawer and never using it until it got sold at an estate sale.

Put it in vigorously boiling water and left it for a bit over five minutes. Turned off the heat, let it cool down, and whoa! The two pieces of the head didn't look any different, but the handle was now a very dingy, dull, gray. Didn't look actually horrible, but no longer matched the head.

Happy ending, after a liberal application of MAAS and elbow grease, I got the handle back to its original shiny state. The cleaning rag turned black. No permanent harm done, and if I didn't kill all the germs, I bet I at least scared them. But I don't think I'll try boiling again.

Oh, I just used scrubbin' bubbles on the travel case.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for that input, it's helpful reading when someone can actually see what happens.

Truly, in this modern age of germicides and disinfectants - there is absolutely no reason to go old school on cleaning a razor.

The razor might be an antique, but there is no reason to use antique cleaning methods.

I thought I read something saying to line the pan with aluminum foil before boiling a razor and that all the ionized particles would stick to the foil and not the razor.

Or maybe I just dreamed that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I thought I read something saying to line the pan with aluminum foil before boiling a razor and that all the ionized particles would stick to the foil and not the razor.

Or maybe I just dreamed that.

That's line a pan with foil and add baking soda, then pour in boiling water, then add a Silver Plated razor to remove the tarnish.

Note that the boiling water is added, not that the razor is boiled. The temperature is already dropping below boiling point when the razor is added.

I find that TarnX works 300 percent better than this solution, and no mess, no fuss, no danger from hot liquids.

It's a razor not a potato, hot soapy water and a old toothbrush are all that's needed.
10 minute Barbicide soak will kill any nastiness that the germaphobics might be afraid off.:confused1

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The travel Tech razors I've seen have aluminum handles. Clean, bare aluminum reacts with oxygen (dissolved in the water) to form a thin oxide coating.

For other razors, I see no reason to boil but I also have a tough time understanding how a quick dunk in 212 degree water would harm a nickel plated razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I boiled my Micromatic mostly to get old soap scum off it. Is there a better method?

Yep.
Scrubbing Bubbles or a 10 minute soak in this liquid cleaner;
(Not so good for Gold Plated Razors - the Citric Acid reacts with the laquer and turns it reddish, the longer the exposre, the more red)

I've cleaned up quite a few old razors over the years...though i am a new member...googleing for ideas has led me to B&B threads often...scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush has always worked well...I learned...the hard way...what so many metal polish's can do to nickel and gold plate!!! BUT I never considered boiling a razor....I think of it this way...thin metal parts + heat = warping. Not to mention the finish...but like I said...I killed a nice razor by rubbing right thru the nickel plating!! I have to believe the three piece razors with stamped plates would warp in extreme heat. Regardless....too many other options to even consider boiling!!

cc

The travel Tech razors I've seen have aluminum handles. Clean, bare aluminum reacts with oxygen (dissolved in the water) to form a thin oxide coating.

For other razors, I see no reason to boil but I also have a tough time understanding how a quick dunk in 212 degree water would harm a nickel plated razor.

What he said....aluminum oxide coating after boiling...the same thing happens to aluminum pots and pans.

What he said....aluminum oxide coating after boiling...the same thing happens to aluminum pots and pans.
Well, that explains why the handle was affected differently than the head. Still would stay away from boiling in future, but just wanted to try it once.

I have the Quicksilver cleaning system that uses the aluminum perforated plate and Borax and boiling water. Has anyone else used this and what is it not safe for?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have the Quicksilver cleaning system that uses the aluminum perforated plate and Borax and boiling water. Has anyone else used this and what is it not safe for?

I think there is a distinct difference in pouring boiling water on something as opposed to the continued heat of actually boiling it.

I wouldn't use that on any of the razors that have plastic or plastic parts, nor would I use it on a laquered Gold Razor, but I think it would probably be fine for most others, although unnecessary.

A silver Plated might benefit from the treatment, but as I said before - why?
The chemical cleaners work fine, they are not dangerous (it's citric acid) and you don't have to mess around with pouring boiling water on anything.

Even the Silver Plated razors can be cleaned perfectly (following the proper directions) with TarnX.

I don't see the attraction in making something so much more complex than it needs to be, I guess is what I'm saying.

I stuck both my Fatboy and Slim in a measuring cup of boiling water for 10 minutes when I got them. No damage, dulling, or any other effects whatsoever. I did this because I didn't want to have to spend $20 for Barbicide.

If something is getting dulled, I would imagine it might have something to do with the hardness of the water..perhaps minerals coalescing around the handle?

After all, if boiling water is damaging to metal, why wouldn't all of our pots melt?

In any case, for my next razor I'm simply going to dunk 'em in diluted bleach routine. Should be as effective as Barbicide at a microfraction of the cost.

Jeff in Boston

The first razor I got ('59 SS) was from someone who said they cleaned and sanitized it, so I didn't do anything with it after I got it. Of course after shaving for a few months and being on here, I couldn't help but want to try other razors. I bought a lot of 7 razors from ebay cheap and just got them this weekend. They were definitely used and some quite worse for wear (gunk-wise). Anyway, I boiled water (in a glass Visions pot) and then took it off the stove and let it sit for a minute. Then I put the razors in and let them soak for about 10 minutes. Then I dumped them out and sprayed them down with scrubbing bubbles and let that sit for about 10 minutes and then scrubbed the heck out of them. Sprayed down, sit for ten minutes and then scrubbed again and rinsed. All looked better afterwards and nothing was discolored or anything. The slim adjustable shined up really nice as did the '52 SS. I had to test out the '52 SS, so before I used it I dipped it in 91% alcohol. After the hot water, 2x scrubbing bubbles and alcohol dip, I feel I'm pretty safe. It might not be the best sanitizing job, but I think as far as being safe for the razor and etc, I did pretty good.

As far as boiling, I don't think I'd boil them in the water, but taking it off the heat and putting them into the boiled water shouldn't be as bad. If you figure when you are boiling water and your razors are sunk to the bottom or the pot, the heat is directly on them... I wouldn't think that would be good.

It's a razor not a potato, hot soapy water and a old toothbrush are all that's needed.
10 minute Barbicide soak will kill any nastiness that the germaphobics might be afraid off.:confused1

:lol: That's awesome! And Barbicide is the strongest cleaning agent you can buy, pretty much. They even use a variant of it to sterilize stuff in hospitals. Check out their website, there is a huge list of the stuff it kills.

:lol: That's awesome! And Barbicide is the strongest cleaning agent you can buy, pretty much. They even use a variant of it to sterilize stuff in hospitals. Check out their website, there is a huge list of the stuff it kills.

And while reading the web site, check the active ingredient anti pathogen. Then have a look at the active ingredient in Scrubbing Bubbles...

Top Bottom