What's new

What Hair Products Did You Use Today?

lockhart's heavy.jpg

Today, I’m using Lockhart’s Authentic Heavy Hold pomade. This is a heavy wax-based pomade sold by Steve Lockhart out of Michigan. Lockhart’s Heavy comes in a 4 oz. container, and it’s got to be one of the heaviest pomades I’ve used as for as weight goes. When you pick up the tin, it weighs a TON compared to other heavy hold pomades.

The interesting thing about Lockhart’s Heavy is the hold isn’t really a heavy hold. It’s actually a firm hold. It’s an odd thing. You would think that with Lockhart’s Heavy being such a heavy wax pomade that it would have a heavy hold. Don’t get me wrong; it’s good pomade, but it doesn’t have a super strong hold. So if you need your hair to be held in place, Lockhart’s Heavy might not be the one for you. I still like it. It’s a great pomade for getting volume to the front of my hair. That’s about it. It’s not good at holding down the sides of my hair. I use Murray’s Superior or Murray’s Xtra Heavy to pin down my sides. Lockhart’s Heavy is just good for getting volume in the front of my hair to create a pompadour. Lockhart’s does sell a heavy hold pomade, called 'X Gonzo Heavy Hold pomade.' It doesn’t get a lot of attention like Lockhart’s Goon Grease, Heavy Hold and Medium hold pomades do. I think it’s because Gonzo is more for hardcore heavy hold users that require a super heavy hold for a demanding hair style. Gonzo is a real heavy hold pomade. Lockhart's Heavy is more like Goon Grease in terms of it being a firm hold. It's great if you like using a hair blower.

I've been using a lot of Murray's lately. As usual, I've been working a ton of 18-hour work days. Haven't been thinking too much about my hair. I just throw on Murray's and leave home early in the morning. I don't have time to look in the mirror. On the weekends, my girlfriend is dragging me around and doing a lot of sight seeing. Went to Mt. Rushmore last weekend. It was interesting. I loaded my hair up with Murray's and didn't have any issues.

vaseline57.jpg

I'm using Vaseline Hair Tonic today. This is a very, very, very old product from 60 years ago. Vaseline Hair Tonic was used by Elvis Presley during his early days of his career in the 50s. It gives your hair an incredible shine, making it easy to comb and also helps dry hair and scalp. I use it more or less just to degrease from pomade, but I do use it from time to time just for styling my hair.

Ingredients:
Mineral Oil, Perfume, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Cost: You have to search around. I got it on EBAY for $10 for 100ml bottle. An alternative to Vaseline Tonic is Tres Flores Brilliantine Liquid. It goes for around half the price.

Here are some other fine hair oil products:

Tres Flores Brilliantine liquid
Jeris with oil
Masters with oil

high life medium.jpg

I'm using High Life Medium pomade today. This is a wax pomade that uses jojoba and emu oil rather than lanolin. The effect is it doesn't leave your hair greasy or gooey in the way that lanolin does. High Like Medium has got be one the best pomades I've ever used for volume. It seems to strengthen my hair, making it stand up rather than flatten out when I use it.

High Life Medium has great hold without giving the stiff feel to it. My hair feels dry and yet pliable with High Life Medium in it. On the second day of using this pomade, my hair is messier, as I'm using a clay pomade. I can move my hair to whatever shape I want and this glorious pomade keeps it in that position. High Life Medium has become my new favorite. It's much different from the heavy pomades I've been using. It kind of reminds me of Murray's Superior, but better in some ways. It's like having Murray's in my hair on the second day of use. On the first day of using Murray's, my hair looks good, but it's a lot more firm. On the second day after I've slept with the pomade in my hair, I the the messy hair look. High Life Medium is a little more expensive than Murray's at $8 per 3.5oz tin compared to $3 for a 3 oz tin of Murray's Superior.

High Life Medium has a decent shine. It's not great, but good enough to make your hair look natural. It's not like some products that strip away all shine, leaving your hair looking like your wearing a toupee. It's more of a natural shine. It's definitely not Royal Crown type of shine.

Washing out High Life Medium takes some effort because of the wax content. I always use mineral oil in my hair the day I wash it out, so it's completely dissolved by the time I take a shower.

I rate High Life Medium as a 10 out of 10 for a medium pomade. It's a great pomade. This would be a good alternative for the gents with thinning hair. It definitely creates volume, making one's hair stand up and seem thicker rather than clumping it up and flattening it out. High Life Medium is definitely a lot less expensive than purchasing a clay pomade for $20.

Today I'm using Vaseline tonic once again. I wanted my hair to have a deep shine for tonight. I need the Elvis Presley look tonight and this stuff does the trick. I'm going to a play with my beautiful Ann Bankcroft look alike girlfriend and I want hair to look the absolute best. Vaseline tonic is a VERY good hair oil. It contains only a handful of ingredients unlike some of the many water pomades that are on the market. I'm a minimalist when it comes to hair products. Vaseline tonic is as old school as you're going to get. The product contains mineral oil and a few other ingredients. Nothing major.

Vaseline tonic is incredibly easy to wash out. The same goes for products like Jeris with Oil and Tres Flores Brilliantine liquid. I use Head and Shoulders shampoo, and I lather and rinse x 2. It takes literally a second to lather a second time. It's not rocket science. I then use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner to strip whatever oil is remaining. Afterwards, my hair looks squeaky clean.

I could see myself using Vaseline Tonic daily. I get so many stares from women when I have this stuff in my hair. My hair looks shiny and wet when I'm using Vaseline tonic. It's good for achieving the 'just out of the shower' look. Tres Flores Brilliantine Liquid also gives me the same look. It's light in the hair and it feels nice.

The only downside of using Vaseline Tonic is the need to wash it out before I go to sleep. It's kind of oily, and I don't like to sleep with it in my hair because it gets on my pillows and blankets. But it's so easy washing it out. It's a great product if you want to look your absolute best. Washing it out at night is a minor sacrifice to how good it makes my hair look during the day.

Top Bottom