What's new

What do you guys use here downunder for a shave bowl and where did you get it? Lather Shots included

Wow. Great looking razor. A bit large for me. Both my straights are 6/8
Ralf Aust 6/8 French point with schorkopf, full hollow
JWG Steelworks 6/8 French point half hollow
Of the modern straights, the JWG is quite compact compared to the Aust - I only got it a couple of weeks ago and it gives quite a different shave from the RA. I'm still a novice with straights. 15-20 shave so far and starting to get better, closer shaves. I have 4 vintage blades around 60-80 years old that I am cleaning and polishing. I hope to replace the scales with something more modern (acrylic) when I get the time. I guess I'm hooked.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What sort of honing stone do you use to keep them sharp?

I have a set of water stone when I started but I'm a JNAT junkie.
Wakasa Jnat and a progression of Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro & Koma nagura.

When I first started, I made a home made paddle strop with using my poor man's strop. One side is loaded with Chromium oxide and the other with a diamond paste. I called it Excalibur. She's not pretty but she's works well. I still use it for to touch up the edge between honing.
20170826_203433.jpg

I have a set of water stone when I started but I'm a JNAT junkie.
Wakasa Jnat and a progression of Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro & Koma nagura.

When I first started, I made a home made paddle strop with using my poor man's strop. One side is loaded with Chromium oxide and the other with a diamond paste. I called it Excalibur. She's not pretty but she's works well. I still use it for to touch up the edge between honing.
View attachment 815772

Nice! that's a great collection. I've just bought a few vintage straights and a belgium coticule. I think jnats work similar to belgium coticules? I've watched a few youtube videos on how to hone and I've gotten the vintage razor projects on the road :001_rolle

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think jnats work similar to belgium coticules?

Similar as far as working on a slurry but JNAT's work with a different nagura's giving different stages of progression. I almost went with a coti but went down the Jnat rabbit hole......no money left for a coti. :(
I must say I do like a coticules edge.

What I did when learning to hone was buy some average straights off Trade Me. Play with it on the hone for a while, sell and get another one to play with. I called it tag and release, as I always sold for the same price I bought it for. My goal was to lean honing not make a profit from it.
No one wants to muck up their nice razors, so a few cheapies is a good way to get hone time.

Gratuitous lather pic - Sunday 27 Aug 2017

Another day with NZ made Saba shaving soap, but with the Lime this time. Used the Byron Black Aluminium with 22mm synthetic knot again due to the success I had with it and the Saba Orange Delight yesterday.

Same process as with the Orange Delight, ie some effort to load the brush using the Merkur_man technique, then transfer to my lather bowl to finish off. Scent was as good as Phil suggested - like you've just cut fresh limes. Yummy. Similar shave results with the smooth, slick and cushioning lather. Another keeper from Saba.

Last edited:
I haven’t tried it yet... Where did you get it?

Gifts and Care (Spain) seem to have the best prices for European gear. Shipping to NZ is reasonable too. Some of the UK dealers also have the new Proraso range but they are more expensive. Other than that I think Shaving.ie (Ireland) had it just after it was first released.

Gifts and Care (Spain) seem to have the best prices for European gear. Shipping to NZ is reasonable too. Some of the UK dealers also have the new Proraso range but they are more expensive. Other than that I think Shaving.ie (Ireland) had it just after it was first released.
I used Gift and Care for my last order and was happy with them. Less happy with myself for ordering the wrong thing.

PS: For some blades they have bundles of 40 or 50, I haven't seen anyone else do that.

I used Gift and Care for my last order and was happy with them. Less happy with myself for ordering the wrong thing.
PS: For some blades they have bundles of 40 or 50, I haven't seen anyone else do that.

Yeah, I'm a fan. I used shaving.ie quite a lot for a while but go to G&C first these days. I guess they are the reason I like La Toja and Lea so much too.

Gratuitous lather pic - Sunday 27 Aug 2017

Another day with NZ made Saba shaving soap, but with the Lime this time. Used the Byron Black Aluminium with 22mm synthetic knot again due to the success I had with it and the Saba Orange Delight yesterday.

Same process as with the Orange Delight, ie some effort to load the brush using the Merkur_man technique, then transfer to my lather bowl to finish off. Scent was as good as Phil suggested - like you've just cut fresh limes. Yummy. Similar shave results with the smooth, slick and cushioning lather. Another keeper from Saba.
You're getting good results with those new brushes Alex and I'm tempted to make up a couple myself. From memory they were both 22mm Maggard black synthetics, what depth did you have for the bore in the handles?

Top Bottom