What's new

what do I have here ? I'm confused

Please excuse the newb as I am still learning and even though this may seem like a dumb question please bare with me I really do appreciate the advice of you more experienced shavers. So in my never ending quest #1 to find a local place other than rite aid or cvs that sells any sort of traditional shaving gear I ran across a place called Sally's beauty supply. first of all I was embarrassed as heck to even walk in with the loads of woman going in ( though in hind sight if I was single I think it would have been a great pick up spot ). To my amazement they had a little bit of what I was looking for some of which I knew off the bat ie. Pinaud bay rum, vanilla, Lilac, and reserve as well as Pinaud talc. I was off to a good start. Unfortunatly the ladies working there had little knowledge of mens shave gear but tried their best and knew they had a few blades a De razor as well. they did say off the bat these items were more geared towards barbers. So they show me their blades and they had feathers 100 for $38 !!!! then I got sad as they were for the Feather shavette( single edge) they also had Derby extra and Personna ( blue ? ) maybe and this where my confusion and question comes in. If you look at the picture below the green Derby extra package says Derby extra super stainless and on the bottom Chormium-cermaic- platimnum - tungsten edges. I received these blades when I ordered my Edwin jagger De89 and have been using them in my rotation. Now the ones I bought from Sally's are the orange Derby blades and they say just stainless steel but on the package corner it says platinum but nowhere on the "blade holder" does it make mention of this now that said for 1.25 for 10 blades I'm not complaining it's just I want to know what I am using here. Second question and I think through a bit of searching have figured this out but regarding the Personna blades which ones are they ? I know the make reds, Israeli's , medical grades, and barber grades. I believe based on pictures I have seen on the internet that these are the barber series..... am I correct on this ? I by minimum know they are made in the USA a stamp on the back is indicating this clearly. Any info or advice / opinions on my urchase are greatly appreciated. FWIW my blade of preference is the Astra SP or the shark Irridiums ...... I also do like and don't throw tomatoes at me the green Derby's in this picture and think they kind of get a bad rap but work fairly well on me. I'm just trying to try new stuff and see how it works. thanks for any input on what I actually have here. $blade photo.JPG

I've seen those orange Derbys before but not often. Can't remember if they're the same or different from the green.

Yeah that's what has me confused...... it says as you see in the picture in the upper left corner it says Platinum but the blade it says is stainless steel. I believe what they mean is that maybe its a stainless blade with platinum on the edge for a smoother cutting edge. and that is a big maybe. I'm also VERY curious about the persona blades as to what " class" so to speak they are so I can get a good idea if they work for me so I can get them again or not and not confuse them with the other Personna blades some people seem to think are good for the price and or quality of the shave. any more info out there from other members would be greatly appreciated. I'm not using them yet so any more opinion out there before I do ?

Top Bottom