What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10 (11 is off the scale, but this shave deserved it.)
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: PAA Classico Bay Rum (Regular Crown King Formula)
Brush: Captain's Choice Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Voshkod (1) - AMAZING!
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Soap Commander Purpose (Bay Rum) splash

Fantastic shave! Will have to see about the longevity of this blade, but the Voshkod performed brilliantly in the Lupo...just superb. Going to pull up the sharpness profile on this blade and compare it to some others that have done well in the Lupo. The Classico Bay Rum was dialed in perfectly...smells great and provided plenty of slick protection. There was quite a bit left over in the bowl when I was done shaving. No blood or injuries at all...just smooth sailing and a smooth face and neck. Have had the Soap Commander Purpose Bay Rum splash for quite a while. As Bay Rum goes, it's ok. There's an undercurrent of spiciness that's just detectable...a faint spicy gum drop type Bay Rum scent. I used it this morning like Charles Bronson uses Mandom. Singing the praises of Voshkod this morning.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210505.jpg

Looked back at how I had scored this blade early on as I remember having used a Voshkod over a year ago. I scored it high back then, but never returned to it. My mistake. The sharpness profile is pretty good...not Feather sharp, but not bad and it gets a bit sharper as the coating wears off. Going to look at prices on the Voshkod. It may become the blade of choice for me if the longevity is decent, the price is reasonable and it doesn't cause weepers with subsequent shaves.

Last edited:
05 May 2021
20210505_063252.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S √
Van der Hagen
Cream Of The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia – Italy
Old Spice Original –India
Old Spice Musk – India
Proraso Green –Italy √ (using rain water)
Brushes For The Shave:
Omega 11126 -- Prep with Old Spice Bar soap
Gray Dog-- Today’s shave
Blade For The Shave:
Voskhod Shave #2
Passes:
WTG and then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum rub downs.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?
Rating:
9.8 BBS A great shave on this cool crisp spring morning. Today, I had no remaining stubble at all, or weepers. I ‘pinged’ myself for one minor clumsiness nick.

Razor: Razorock Hawk V2
Blade: Feather SoftGuard (3)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka 2 band Badger
Soap: Wickham Shamrock Tweed
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Baker Street (sample)

The Shave: W/X/A (plus 2nd ATG goatee area) for a great BBS - shave. The SoftGuard is very smooth and mild to use but I needed the extra pass in the heaviest growth area.
I love using the ridiculously large Moka 2 band, nice performer, big handle, soft but present tips, just overall a very nice brush. I’m going to jinx myself and say this was a 9.5 shave. (See what happens tomorrow.
62D9A2D7-6037-40DE-AC27-748B4680DDBB.jpeg
B87168C1-F055-435C-94B2-58B94AE042F3.jpeg
F0EF1B78-1E5E-444F-A531-D8B3A181DED8.jpeg

Another 36-hour beard today:

'53 Gillette Super Speed/new Derby Premium blade

La Toja stick soap

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Proraso Green aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Pre-shower again: I washed my face and throat with Dial soap, applied the La Toja and face-lathered, and wielded the razor after 3 minutes. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG and XTG, and a bit of cleanup. The Proraso, Assured, and powder came after teh shower. The Derby is not the sharpest of blades, true; but I generally use this razor only 1-2 times a month, so it won't be in the rotation much. A smooth shave.

Verdict: 9.4.

1620222050599.jpeg

Brush: Oumo 24mm Manchuria SHD
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Weinstrasse
Razor: Rockwell 6S / R5
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium

10/10: Once again, a great shave returning to the Rockwell. This complex scent has really grown on me. While Oumo knots can be inconsistent, this one I got last year was perfect in shape and characteristics. It is a little on the smaller side for what I use most often, but I don’t find it lacking at all.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That is really cool and strange looking!

Let us know--it would be great to know if unscented options can be dressed up that way. I'm mixing two soaps together these days and having fun with the result; maybe that would be another approach.

Well, I should have put in a new Kai blade, but I wanted to try a Wizamet Iridium Super for the first time and things weren't great:

View attachment 1262116

This was a very irritating shave. I can think of two reasons:

1) The blade's coating may be different than I've ever used and possibly not a good fit for my skin.

2) More likely: switching from a Kai blade, which is wider and thus offers a little more blade exposure, this normal-sized blade almost felt like it wasn't even there. I think I may have compensated by pressing down to recover that blade feel (which I like) and just took off way too much skin.

This may be telling me that I can be very successful with a razor that offers some blade exposure, as I've learned a lot about managing angle and pressure. I will go back to a Kai blade to test this theory.

Rating: Nope/10
I use the Polsilver Super iridium and looking into the coating I found Iridium is a super hard metal and it is meant to give the blade fine edge more strength. I always found the first shave rough until about the 2-3rd shave the coating has smoothed out.
What I have done for years now when using my Polsilver SI is cork it once and it works well it seems. I have a lot of them so I improvised and really enjoy the blade now, might be worth considering.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, May5th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> Excellent mid range, easy to manipulate around the face, carefree shave mostly. Best performance Razorock razor consistently I own in my Den.
Blade: Gillette Astra SS (4) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice refreshing clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Red Zebra :001_wub: , Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash the whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 + a Gillette Astra SS blade

DE SOTD, Wed, May 5th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C Razor
- Gillette King C Blade (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 9/10
Another excellent shave with the Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum sample. I am really liking the performance of this soap and the scent is a really warm and spicy bay rum. Definitely one I will need to get a full tub of with matching aftershave balm!
The King C combination provided another close and irritation free shave and no feedback from the Alum block today.

Wednesday quick early shave, we went out to breakfast this morning. Single pass shave with some ATG clean up, 8+/10, CCS:

Pre-shave: quick shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN- two-dot head
Blade: Feather AC Pro (9)- blade is now shaving much different than when new, but still capable when coupled with the Canada Soap.
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- plenty of lather with a short load.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- not sure why, but after using a few days in a row it just seems to get better. @ouchyfoot- thanks again for turning me on to this soap. I'm really enjoying it!
Post-shave: cold rinse, small splash of Fine American Blend AS.

May your blade be smooth and your hands steady!

PXL_20210505_121907060.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (1)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Handle SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Stick, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice Mindless Shave.

Last edited:
Lupo .95,PAA Cavendish,Simpson chubby1 super,Gillette 7o'clock green (1),Thayers cucumber,prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,prorasso green. 3rd shave with the Lupo.95 3 days growth and the best shave yet.Smooth,comfortable,close,no cuts,no weepers or irritation.I used my Gamechanger .84 last shave to compare and the Lupo.95 knocks it off top spot.I can't fault this razor in fact it's my RAD killer i can't see a shave getting any better.It was just a closer shave after 3 passes with less pickups in the usual places and quicker to get them.Superb razor absolutely love it.BBS shave 10/10
20210505_161852[1].jpg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch hazel / Osage Rub

After not using Osage Rub for almost 2 weeks, I think I went a little overboard! Yikers.... *wipes tears*

Pretty sweet brush. Been doing sacrificial lathers with it to defunk it and decided it was defunked enough to at least use it with Arko (couldn't care less if the animal scent interfered with it). It will be interesting to see how this brush changes over time, if it even does. Usually on a first use of a brush my lather isn't on par with what I want, but today it was pretty close. I'll have to load it longer because of how packed the bristles are. Had just the right amount of scritch and softness. I didn't even feel the need to splay it at all. VERY nice birthday gift.

8/10. Nicked my adams apple.

Late post about an early shave. Wonderful lather whipped up from Haslinger sheep with a Yaqi monster brush. Great shave, two days growth gone easily without any nicks, weepers or irritation. DFS, very close to BBS. Scores 10/10

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG R5, XTG R4, ATG and touch ups R3
Blade: Personna Red (2)
Soap: Haslinger sheep
Brush: Yaqi monster
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Top Bottom