What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20201204_082207.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1970 P3 Super Adjustable 109
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten

Razor: Feather SS (Kamisori Shavette)
Blade: Feather ProGuard (3)
Brush: Dscosmetic - SHD Manchurian GelTip (26mm)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Spearhead Shaving - Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Dr. Jon’s Cedar & Rose
D9EBBE5E-654A-4301-8DC7-3313CEB4B6FF.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
5F02094B-A276-4F8C-908E-9346A350C66D.jpeg
It took me a year to get to shave #3 with my Feather SS. Shave #1 was bloody and brutal, but I believe #2 (six months later) was an improvement.
Another six months has passed, and after following Vaporstang’s daily and unrelenting stoicism in the face of physical danger and mutilation, I pulled up my big boy pants and faced my demon.

Well, that went pretty darn good. I must have learned something. No nicks or cuts. No 🩸 at all. I got 99% of a BBS which amazed me. The aftershave splash gave my neck a good sting, but nothing lasting.
Im absolutely loving this Seaforth Heather soap both in lathering qualities and scent. Moving up towards the #1 spot. I believe it really aided me in not hacking myself up.

Im actually feeling pretty darn proud of myself. I wonder if now the straight razor guys will let me hang with them?

Dont cut your nose off!

Rating 9.0/10

Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (3)
Brush: Yaqi R1740-S Naples Tuxedo
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: West Coast Shaving Chypre
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Toner
Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
View attachment 1190912
View attachment 1190914
It took me a year to get to shave #3 with my Feather SS. Shave #1 was bloody and brutal, but I believe #2 (six months later) was an improvement.
Another six months has passed, and after following Vaporstang’s daily and unrelenting stoicism in the face of physical danger and mutilation, I pulled up my big boy pants and faced my demon.

Well, that went pretty darn good. I must have learned something. No nicks or cuts. No 🩸 at all. I got 99% of a BBS which amazed me. The aftershave splash gave my neck a good sting, but nothing lasting.
Im absolutely loving this Seaforth Heather soap both in lathering qualities and scent. Moving up towards the #1 spot. I believe it really aided me in not hacking myself up.

Im actually feeling pretty darn proud of myself. I wonder if now the straight razor guys will let me hang with them?

Dont cut your nose off!

Good for you. I've shelved my shavettes. At least for a while. The shaves I'm getting from my safety razors are just too good to pass up for a sub-par, bloody shave. I salute you!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber (Silk Tallow formula)
Brush: Maggards synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (4)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootleger's Bay Rum

DFS/BBS from the Karve OC. The Cerby Premium is starting to impress the heck out of me. Shave #4 and it still feels like its got another shave in it. Ghost Town Barber is a new acquisition. I love the scent...it's like Zingari Man The Wanderer with a faint ozone, smoke and leather scent mixed in. Anyway, that's what my nose picks up, YMMV. That might sound like a bad combination, but I really like it. My wife loved it also which is important to me. The performance was very good, lathered fairly easily and protection provided was good. The lather was not a fluffy, creamy, but more of a wet silky cream...if that makes sense. Of course...first use of it...dialing in a new soap is sometimes hit or miss.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20201205.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Challenge Razor Works
Brush: Boar
Soap: Via Barberia

Fantastic shave this morning. Finished putting a keen edge this razor and it was a pleasure to use. Back on this new soap from Omega, smells great, usually not too concerned with fragrance, but this stuff really appeals to me. Stetson dials it up to 11. Happy Saturday!
9/10

2471DC3C-FE50-40E9-A5E0-875B96E8A9D7.jpeg

9/10

Last edited:
Saturday Night relaxing shave :

Razor : Razorock BBS Stainless Steel
Soap : Wickham Spice Trader
Pre shave : Sweet Almond Oil
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Black (2)
Brush : Pearl Synthetic (* correction 22 m)
Aftershave : Old Spice Original and later Nivea Sensitive Balm

I used BBS again and today I went for ATG pass under my chin and for the first time in my life the hair were cut properly, without tugging.
Since this region is my irritation prone area, I didn't push my luck and finished my shave with 2 passes and selective areas ATG.

This razor does demand sharper blades and I may have to go for BIC Chrome Platinum if it continues to undermine the 7 O'clock Black 😂.
Today I worked with the soap better and loaded a bit more soap while swirling and added more water drop by drop in the bowl.
It is performing better than last time and I think, by next week I'll have a lot better understanding of the soap behaviour.

Shave rating :8.25/10
Rating as compared to the shaves that I'm used to getting.

View attachment 1190912
View attachment 1190914

Dont cut your nose off!

Congratulations! Glad you got a great and bloodless shave!

Razor: Weber stainless polished head, with stainless Weber bulldog handle; "vintage" since Weber is out of production
Blade: Israeli Personna in red packaging; Platinum Chrome printed on blade, identical in appearance to Israeli-made blades in blue packaging (shave #2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Tabac
Rating: 9.9

This afternoon's shave on two days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no burning or irritation, but one small nick below the lower lip in the same spot as on Thursday. Great shave.

Since I hadn't used the Tabac puck in quite some time, I added some hot water on top of the puck and let it sit a few minutes to hydrate the soap before pouring it off and making the lather, just like what I do with Williams. This worked great and produced a very slick lather.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: lukewarm towel, Proraso red pre-shave (left it on for about 3 mins while I made lather)
Blade: Shark SS #1
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: RR 400
Soap: GFT Spanish leather
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, B&M Reserve

The hardware and software I used today was chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG. And ATG cleanup pass along the jawline.

Great shave today. Spent some extra time slowly adding a few drops of water to the GFT, using distilled water. It's taken me quite a while, but I finally figured out how to make good slick lather with GFT. Spanish leather is a nice mild scent, I like it.

The Shark SS was sharp and smooth. Not sure about blade longevity, but if I go by results this blade is in my top 5 blades. I know it's popularity is YMMV, maybe it has to do with the razor? R41 + Shark SS is a great combination, IMO.

Achieved a close shave (very close and smooth on jawline, but still rough under the chin) with almost zero perceptible alum burn. Only 1 weeper and it vanished on it own, no cuts nicks no abrasion no redness. Skin feels good. I'm going with no irritation.

I'm really happy with the results:

👍

Eben Stone

Staff member
Today I worked with the soap better and loaded a bit more soap while swirling and added more water drop by drop in the bowl.
It is performing better than last time and I think, by next week I'll have a lot better understanding of the soap behaviour.

Adding a few drops of water at a time works well for me. Took me 2 months to figure that out. :mad2: It's the *only* way I can get useful lather with GFT. My other soaps and creams don't seem so finicky.

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Soap Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Parker Adjustable Injector
Blade: Tatonic (Personna) Injector
Brush: Zenith Kotibe Silvertip
Soap: Speick Stick
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.0/10 Descent two pass DFS shave, minimal buffing on chin. No weepers, no irritation and no cuts. Not the most efficient shave, but did not open up any prior weepers. Wasn't going to shave or was going to pull out a cartridge razor and looked down and saw the Parker in a stand and said "Why Not".

Wonderful, leisurely Saturday shave; Rating: 9.7/10- DFS, two-pass plus touch up- no irritation, one tiny nick:

Razor: Feather DX AC Japanese style
Blade: Kai Protouch MG (3)- comfy, easy to use blade, still shaving well
Brush: Omega Jade boar
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio- the proper name to keep Sir Marco happy :001_rolle - fine face lather today
Post shave: alum block, rinse, Fine L'Orange Noir

Enjoy your weekend!

PXL_20201205_185930287.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20201205_124310~2.jpg

Razor: ATT CR1 Copper Base + H1 Stainless Cap (ATT Copper handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Zenith B16 Aluminum (24mm Boar)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: La Toja Cream
Aftershave: La Toja

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really nice shave. :cool:

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient by Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Toner: Lucky Tiger​
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor’easter Menthol - Original Developmental Formula (First time using!)​
Rating: 9.0/10 A very close shave!
  • First time using this AS. I usually don't use AS with alcohol, so I felt the sting when applying
  • A couple of minor nicks that disappeared with my rinse
  • A very close shave but I missed a small patch under my lip
  • I got my (SR trouble area) very nicely today
  • I love this soap! @Colonel Conk I have the unscented version waiting in queue for when this one runs out. (This scent is very mild and I like it, but I wanted to try the unscented version as kind of a "blank canvas".)
  • I love this brush! @Rudy Vey
  • I actually won the Rudy Vey brush and Col. Conk soap in a new member GAW earlier this year. I have to say that they are both excellent and match together excellently!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Omega
Aftershave: VIBR

Love me some Proraso, but after using Red the past 2 days, I really noticed how slick Stirling is in comparison.

The more I use the Muhle, the more I appreciate it. I can see it being a daily shaver.

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Pre-Shave: Cetaphil Facial Cleanser
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

Seventeenth shave with this new acquisition.

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very, very close and very, very pleasant shave.

The 3ONE6 and the GSB pair well!!! The Cella was awesome.

Rating: 10/10

Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Omega
Aftershave: VIBR

Love me some Proraso, but after using Red the past 2 days, I really noticed how slick Stirling is in comparison.

The more I use the Muhle, the more I appreciate it. I can see it being a daily shaver.
The Muhle R89 is really very decent. I could easily make it my daily driver.:thumbup:

Top Bottom