What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: lukewarm towel, Proraso red pre-shave (left it on for about 2 mins while I made lather)
Blade: Astra SP #4
Razor: Ikon Tek
Brush: Muhle Vivo black fiber v2
Soap: SV Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, SV Opuntia

The hardware and software I used today was chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm ATG, XTG, WTG (except I went mustache and gotee WTG, XTG, ATG). And ATG cleanup pass along the jawline.

Very disappointing shave today. Especially since yesterday's shave went so well. Except for using a maybe dud G7B and rusty Astra SP, this is the first time I've got a *real* nick. Lots of little weepers and a nick on my upper lip thats still a drop of blood after alum and a shower.

Interestingly, the Astra SP didn't seem to have any trouble going mustache AGT, no weepers there.

Alum's revenge was strong today, some burn, so I'm going with yes there was some irritation. Luckily my skin feels OK now, not great, but just OK

👎

1607108073475.jpeg

Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger
Cream: Trumper Violet
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS

8/10: Classic, all the way around. An enjoyable shave, but not one that competes with today’s products, for me.

I’ll still use this cream until it runs out (though I have a lot...). This is the real, proper Violet scent before it was reformulated about 8-10 years ago. It’s still intoxicating, just not in a product with the same slickness or post-shave as the artisan soaps today.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Facial Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Bath House Cuban Cedar & Lime soap + Glycerin

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Kiehls Age Defender Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- BIC Chrome Platinum (5)
- Edwin Jagger Synthetic

Shave Rating: 9/10
The only complaint I've had with this soap is with its slickness so I decided to add some glycerin to the lather. Definite improvement in slickness today, will definitely be adding glycerin again.
Between the added glycerin and the hyaluronic acid my skin is feeling very soft and hydrated.
One cut today caused be the razor taking the top off of a spot, but other than that an enjoyable shave with no irritation.

Razor: Blackbird SB
Blade: Wizamet super iridium (1)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Signature Soaps Unscented Goats Milk
Rating: 10

Super close bbs shave with no nicks, cuts or irritation. The Blackbird is great to use on a daily basis and 14 hours after the shave I can barely feel any stubble returning.

My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth (Accidently included it in the photo)​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Karve Brass 3-1/2" SB Plate C​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 8.8/10 An Okay shave...
  • One minuscule nick that disappeared with the rinse. Same spot as yesterday
  • No irritation
  • I had a really close shave yesterday, so I opted for a 1 pass shave today
  • I was disappointed in how under my nose and under my lip turned out, even with it being only a 1 pass shave. I was trying to pay extra attention to those areas
  • I didn't quite get the water, brush, and soap working together very well. I usually use this brush on hard soaps and it works great. I think I over compensated because I was using the soft soap
  • Oops! For some reason I included my Tony Miller strop in my picture setup (but I did not strop my DE - LOL). I forgot to include the Thayers in the picture yesterday. I must be distracted....
proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Clubman Friday
DecemBoar 2020 #4
20201204_151708~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Proraso Blue Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Canoe

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Excellent shave. :cool:

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Pre-Shave: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
Lather: Cella Bio Organic
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

Fifteenth shave with this new acquisition.

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very, very close and very, very pleasant shave.

The 3ONE6 and the GSB pair well!!! The Cella was awesome. Another @Marco recommendation.

Rating: 10/10

Thäter 4670/5 w/ Stirling Ozark Mountain
Timeless Ti .68 w/ Astra SP (3)
Alum & Stirling Haverford Balm
6/10
Distracted today, which lead to some minor irritation and not the closest shave. Still impressed by the Timeless which is so comfortable but I will need to end the honeymoon soon and start paying a bit more attention to technique.
PXL_20201205_010935144.PORTRAIT.jpg

Sat 5th SOTD
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Yaqi Slant
Blade SuperMax Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers
Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Awesome soap!! Super nice scent with creamy and slick lather! Love Stirling!!
This shave with the aggressive slant razor was finally tamed using a shim (thanks @ouchyfoot for the tip) and a mild but good blade. The immediate feel was much smoother and comfortable without any blade chattering. Wtg & xtg was very smooth and then the real test was the atg on the chin & around the lips especially the upper lip. Wow..!! Smooth, comfortable, and without issues. 3passes for a very close mostly BBS result with 2 late creepers. Really efficient shave today beating yesterday's Karve F plate easily. Excellent post and aftershaves. Rating 9.8/10
20201205_111816.jpg

Prep: Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D2)
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + BRUT Original AS
Rating : 9.8/10
Very very nice BBS in 2.5 passes !!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I never give a 10/10 as that would mean it can never get any better.
Well over many, many years of watching dives being judged that is certainly one well respected approach. Another approach is that a ten meets all of the elements and has no observed basis for deduction. Over time both aspects would evolve as divers, coaches, and boards got better. I wonder how the standards of today compare with fifty or a hundred years ago! My AS-D2 certainly has traits that were missing in my Schick injector when I was learning how to shave, and the notion of a three pass shave would have seemed novel. Everyone I knew used two. Ah, evolution!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Pre-Shave: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
Lather: Cella Bio Organic
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

Fifteenth shave with this new acquisition.

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very, very close and very, very pleasant shave.

The 3ONE6 and the GSB pair well!!! The Cella was awesome. Another @Marco recommendation.

Rating: 10/10

Sir, the proper name is Cella Extra Extra Bio. ;)

Top Bottom