What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20201107_080343.jpg

Razor: Schick G1 Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Brandy Spice
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5. Nice shave!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday morning shave

Razor: Super Speed
Blade: GSB
Brush: Boar
Soap: PdP No.63

A fine morning shave. This is my 2nd Semogue 1520 with handle finish and paint chipping problems. Returned the 1st, tried my hand at handle restoration for the 2nd. It’s a nice brush, with a quality boar knot that I didn’t want to part with again, it just looks different now. Happy Sunday!
1236EF24-C922-46B6-82A0-8EE59614F584.jpeg

9/10

Sunday morning shave

Razor: Super Speed
Blade: GSB
Brush: Boar
Soap: PdP No.63

A fine morning shave. This is my 2nd Semogue 1520 with handle finish and paint chipping problems. Returned the 1st, tried my hand at handle restoration for the 2nd. It’s a nice brush, with a quality boar knot that I didn’t want to part with again, it just looks different now. Happy Sunday!
View attachment 1261136
9/10
Love what you did with the brush handle!

Soap: Cella
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller steerhide
Brush: Simpson T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR

Got a pair of Simpson brushes to play around with now! It’s nice to be back home and nice to use the straight razor again. After using DE again while away I’m realizing that I have room to improve when it comes to closeness in my neck hallows with the straight. Challenge accepted.

8/10

Mostly Cloudy Sunday Shave:

Fatip OC Slant Piccolo
BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
PAA Starcraft synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap
Provence Sante Verlaine shave soap
Dickinson's witch hazel w/ Pereja Limon Kolonya
Pre de Provence balm

Clean, very close shave; accidental BBS

Always great results with the Provence Sante soaps. The Pre de Provence balm was probably not needed, but I like using just a tiny amount of it.

Razor: Mühle R102
Blade: Lord - New Platinum (2)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Green Tea Foam Cleanser
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop"
238B5A51-B7EC-4A46-AA4D-FC1A0EB836F1.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not?
Okay, we’ll start off with the fact that this razor is really a Mühle R41 head with a white resin handle. Some people are terrified of the R41, and some love it. I myself have never been scared of it, I have other razors that are more agressive. This razor can bring me to a BBS faster than any razor I own. My problem is that I’m not sure if I really enjoy the shave itself.
No matter what blade or angle I use, especially on my neck, it feels tuggy like a shaving with a dull old blade. In spite of that, when I feel my neck afterwards, it’s as smooth and clean as can be. Post shave face feel is also nice with no irritation.
I was wondering if blade flex was the problem, so I shimmed the top, which will not affect the blade gap, only stiffen the edge. That didn’t seem to change anything so I’m stuck with the decision if getting a fast super efficient close shave is worth the unenjoyable tugging and pulling sensation. I know this isn't just me as I have read many other reviews that other R41 owners have this exact same problem.

New SC
Treet DuraSharp (Yellow)
MWF
DIY brush (Oumo knot, synth)

The smoothness of these blades tames the SC a little bit - plenty of time available, three pass BBS. Very rarely bother chasing it, but just felt like it today.

No alum sting so easily a 10.

Oh and is there honestly a better looking razor than the SC with the proper (red brass) cap?

20210502_201712.jpg

20210502_201654.jpg

20210502_193759.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210502_120200~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector OC
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Aftershave: Reuzel
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

Outstanding kit! :thumbup:

Outstanding shave! :cool:

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C
- BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
- Omega 50014

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Quick two pass shave today and ended up finishing my sample of Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit soap. I really like the the performance and post-shave feel of Meißner Tremonia but it smells nothing like Grapefruit (you can only really smell the eucalyptus in it). The soaps are hard to come by in the UK these days but I have another sample (Indian Flavour) and Gifts and Care still stock them albeit expensive.
Overall a pleasant irrigation free shave with no feedback from the Alum Block.

E101C7E4-82AF-4908-9E11-1499348898D0.jpeg

Pre: Proraso red
Brush: AP Shave Co cashmere
Blade: Kai(1)
Razor: Schick Krona
Lather: PAA CaD sample
Rating: 9.5 DFS

I’m really digging this razor. Not the closest or longest lasting shave, but the most worry free razor I’ve tried. No post shave products. Face feels great and smells great too. :thumbup:

My Sunday Afternon Shave
Prep: Warm shower
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap w/ Bowl​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Pre de Provence - Bergamot & Thyme After Shave Balm w/ Shea Butter​
9.9/10 No irritation!
  • One nick that disappeared with my shower (see next bullet)
  • I decided to shave before my shower just to change things up. I only did a one-pass shave. Of course, my shave was not a close as the whiskers weren't as soaked - as expected. (In the past, I have shaved pre-shower when I wanted to get a "rougher" shave.)
  • I was too lazy to snap any pics today... I hope everyone had a great weekend!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Hot face cloth soak (no shower) - Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Pinaud Clubman synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Lemon-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Glory and Shine Lime and Bergamot post shave balm

Evening shave...couldn't wait for the morning...stubble was visible and driving me nuts. Two days growth...busy weekend. Beautiful shave with the Lupo SS SB .72. Third shave for the German Wilkinson Sword...feeling just fine...it wants more action. Face and neck are smooth as glass. I dialed in Zingari Man The Wanderer well this evening, provided plenty of protective slickness. This scent has always been one of my favorites...very hard to describe, but it's excellent. Home run by Zingari Man. Decided to pull out a product I'd bought a while back and never used, Glory and Shine's Lime and Bergamot post shave balm. Now...I'm not much for aftershave balms...but this not only smells wonderfully lime-ey...but my face soaked this stuff up like it was a man dying of thirst in the dessert who's handed a five gallon bottle of Gatorade. When I put this on, I could see the product...it was a visible white'ish film...and after smoothing it over a couple of times with my hands...like magic, it was gone...absorbed by my skin. Uhhh...yup...that worked. Lime is a refreshing scent and this product's scent is pleasing to my nose.

I feel greatly relieved.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210502.jpg

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Rating: 9.0

Good shave this afternoon on one day of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, but I forgot to respect the GEM blade on its first use, when it is much sharper than on shave #20. This led to some burning and redness when I used a little pressure going ATG under the nose and resulted in a few painless and unfelt nicks on the neck and under the lower lip. On the positive side, the new blade mowed down the stubble effortlessly and quickly, and my face was smooth as glass afterwards.

I hadn't used Williams soap in several months, so I let it bloom in warm water for a few minutes before use. As expected, the resulting lather was slicker than ever, and it became invisible on my face after a few minutes (which happens sometimes with Williams) - but the lather was still there, helping the blade glide along and cut without resistance.

Mon 3rd SOTD
Soap Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor GEM Clog Pruf
Blade GEM Stainless 7th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Proraso Green Splash
Excellent soap choice for a hot humid day. Very nice cooling and fizzy pineapple scent. Lather was thickly creamy and very slick.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was smooth and comfortable in general except for the atg pass on the upper lips. Still managed 3passes without any issues for a bbs to dfs result. Further cooling from the aftershaves was awesome. Rating 9.5/10!
20210503_090132-jpg.1261301

Attachments

• 20210503_090132.jpg
    20210503_090132.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 79
It's pretty rare that I get four full, comfortable shaves out of a DE blade. Could the Kai manage?

tempImageKIHeim.jpg

Yes! I had even closer results (something like a BBS- in most areas) than the last three shaves with this razor, although my skin also felt a little more "scraped dry."

I am really digging the Razorock German 37 slant these days. There is plenty of blade feel without any harshness. It's a very efficient razor without feeling aggressive. ATG passes on the neck in difficult directions are a breeze with this razor, unlike everything else in my den.

It's pairing very well with this Kai blade currently. I hope other blades will work just as well, because these are pretty expensive--about $0.60 each even buying them in bulk, 100 at a time.

However, if I can get a 5th or even a 6th shave out of one of these, that would help balance it out. The Kai blades also have the happy feature of entirely lacking any wax or glue. It's the little things...

Rating: 8.9/10

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
8E246A4B-D992-4CAE-A7E4-CA3BB3C34D47.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
Soap
Noble Otter Barrbarr , USA 🇺🇸
Brush
Yaqi Sagrada Badger 22mm, China 🇨🇳
Razor
Wolfman WR2 1.05, Canada 🇨🇦
Blade