What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Yesterday**

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: 7 O'clock SS (2)
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Clubman
Balm: Nivea sensitive

I don't know how many times I've heard the R89 head being the same as the Edwin Jagger. Honestly, I think the Muhle (for my face) is more efficient. I'm glad I'm getting to try it out. The head also seems just a tad lighter, which makes it seem every so slightly less robust than the Edwin Jagger head.

I'm surprised that I've found any difference at all. Again, I keep reading everywhere that they are the same head. Same style, yes. In a blind test I'll be able to tell them apart.

9/10.

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Schick M2 Adjustable on 4
Blade: Schick "Chick" injector
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. No weepers, no irritation and no cuts. Very efficient comfortable shave.

Yesterday, a 24-hour beard:

Gillette postwar fat-handled Tech in champagne gold/Derby Premium blade (2)

La Toja stick

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No shower, just a face and throat wash, so I did the hot towel routine over a little La Toja, then lathered up my face for real. A very smooth shave, pass 1 WTG, then pass 2 on throat only, ATG with a little XTG cleanup. Verdict: 9.6.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, Nov22nd 2020

Razor: Schick Champion injector theme series L type-Mfg,1976,Schick was a sponsor of the Montreal Olympic games. Mild range.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade for these mild razors
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm tuxedo knot with black marble handle- Excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Soap: Gillette Pure shave cream & Tabac remnants of soap- great lather qualities with nice mild scent.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face CeraVe hand bar cleanser + dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 8.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :thumbup: great shave with my Schick injector Champion L type, theme series.

Sunday Schick shave, Nov 22nd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Nov23, 2020

Razor: Everready British 1912- Mfg 1936-65, excellent mid range and it delivered a beautiful shave this morning.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity & smooths out nicely when used + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender:001_wub:- excellent lather qualities with a masculine scent.(might be discontinued?)
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24 mm synthetic- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Everready British 1912 with a coated Gem blade.

MMMonday, Nov 23rd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I should have rated the shave a zero out of ten. I woke up to find that the spots have gotten worse and painful to the touch. It's definitely gonna a lot of days before i shave again.

Just a question. Is your yaqi brush new? Did you clean it before using it?

All my yaqi had a very intense odour when I purchased them. It took me more than 4 days to clean it (3-4 times a day, leave it with shampoo till next cleaning etc) with shampoo and other ecological detergents to make this odour to vanish.

With other brushes it takes mostly a day. They may have some or none odour, but yaqi is very intense.

Maybe you have sensitive skin and maybe a reason might be a new brush, or your ATG pass had too much "passion".

I always clean my brushes before using them.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Flying Wing (White Bullet Tip) 1950
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (2)
Brush: Yaqi - Rainbow 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Sapinificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Reserve - Classic
39D768C8-011F-41F6-B6BA-BD8F484A158D.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Hi-Ho Silver...bullet tip
Actually, its my white, bullet tip flying wing, and one of my very favorite “go to” razors. It always gives me a smooth irritation free shave. Shaves comfortably against the grain and can get up close and personal inside my nostrils. The acute Personna blade was only on its second shave, so it took me down to a nice BBS toot-sweet.

Another fabulous dense creamy lather today with my Varesino Desert Vetiver. Now that I’ve figured out why my lathers were hit and miss, I’ve been impressing the hell out of myself with luxurious lathers from soaps that I had been bypassing because of my own ignorance and inexperience.

They tightened up the lockdown again today, so I’m all shaved up, smelling fine and no place to go.

Last edited:
Just a question. Is your yaqi brush new? Did you clean it before using it?

All my yaqi had a very intense odour when I purchased them. It took me more than 4 days to clean it (3-4 times a day, leave it with shampoo till next cleaning etc) with shampoo and other ecological detergents to make this odour to vanish.

With other brushes it takes mostly a day. They may have some or none odour, but yaqi is very intense.

Maybe you have sensitive skin and maybe a reason might be a new brush, or your ATG pass had too much "passion".

I always clean my brushes before using them.

Are you talking about a badger yaqi brush? Mine is synthetic and had zero scent out of the box. I did shampoo it before the first time using it but it was unnecessary.

I don't know what happened with the irritation. I always use a very light touch when DE shaving. The only new thing i used was the merkur blade.

1606152137227.jpeg

Brush: Chisel & Hound / 26mm Declaration Grooming B10
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Paganini’s Violin
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette Swede (2008)

10/10: Great efficiency from this razor. The Soft Heart base has such a great finish to it. B10 is still a joy to use, Even if it isn’t the easiest. It’s still a faster tool than a lot of brushes I’ve used.

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Spiffo Super Badger
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
- Blade: Derby Premium (2)
- Soap: NO Two Kings
- Aftershave:
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose

Derbys give one of the best first shaves of any blade I have tried. Unfortunately the quality of subsequent shaves drops off very quickly. 2 shaves and the bin for me for most Derby blades.

Noble Otter soaps perform very well IMO. Two Kings isn’t my favourite scent (too much rose) but it is growing on me. I love the performance though. Rawr is a much better scent and one of my favourites.

Spiffo is such an underrated maker IMO and this 24mm Super might be my favourite brush. I will be buying a couple more if Santa doesn’t step up this year. 😜

8.5/10

PSX_20201122_073557.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel, Noxema facial cleanser, Shave Secret (4 drops)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword #2
Razor: Gillette New LC
Brush: Muhle black fiber v2
Soap: SJoL cedarwood and clarysage
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, SJoL cedarwood and clarysage

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

48 hour whiskers.
3 pass: lukewarm ATG, XTG, WTG. And a mostly unnecessary ATG pass along the jawline.

Basically a repeat of Saturday's first pass AGT shave.

As usual, the SJoL performed great, awesome slickness and cushion. The cedarwood and clarysage scent is very nice.

The Wilkinson is very sharp and very smooth. I might have to re-evaluate where it rates on my 1-10 list of blades. The New LC + Wilkinson is a great combination. The New LC isn't quite as efficient as I like, it doesn't have enough blade feel.

A few little weepers at the corner of my lips by going mustache AGT. Otherwise no cuts, no nicks, no abrasions, no razor burn, no skin redness. Alum's revenge was very weak today, almost no perciptible alum burn. I'm going with zero irritation.

👍

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Monday morning shave

Razor: Johan Engstrom Frameback
Brush: Badger
Soap: Tabac

A wonderful old world shave this morning. Freshly honed Swedish gem was a pleasure. My only badger brush really loads up the soap, resulting in a very creamy lather this morning. Old Spice to kick off the week!

354540FD-15D0-4521-84AA-55EC98D4D47D.jpeg

9/10

Everything as usual, except for the razor: I had an aristocratic shave for I used the Gillette one piece
model with that name.

Plus the Aftershave, Prorasso for sensitive skin.

The razor lost much of its golden plating, but it still looks beautiful.

BBS with a little pressure, for that reason 8 / 10.

20201123_151450.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday
20201122_210632~2.jpg

Razor: GEM MMOC (with bumps)
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm BOSS v1 Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Fragrance: Shades of Blue for Men EdT Spray (Belcam version of Light Blue Pour Homme)

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Comments on today's kit:

GEM MMOC (with bumps): Once mastered, the MMOC provides outstanding and effortless results. I really like this razor!

Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan): Wow! First impression is that this is an excellent brush and will definitely be in my close rotation. Easily whipped up mounds of lather in the bowl and on my face. Splays nicely and has the right (for me) amount of backbone.

TFS Rasozero Agrumella soap: Pressed a small amount into the bottom of the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl and whipped up mounds of beautiful lather. I definitely have to explore more of the TFS offerings.

Outstanding shave! :)

Top Bottom