What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday morning shave

Razor: Feather AC
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Synthetic
Soap: Cella
DD9B0C94-B702-45A7-AC67-95815A4F730E.jpeg

9/10

8.5/10. Could have been better if I had more time. People needed to use the bathroom..haha

Razor: Merkur 24C

Blade: LORD Super Stainless. 1st time trying this.
Will wait 2 days before I give this a try again. It was nothing special when I used it.

Soap: Stirling Queen of Hearts

Was just getting started with the soap before I was interrupted
IMG_0111.jpg

Razor: Schick D Injector Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
PSX_20200912_100910.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- TOBS Grapefruit cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- BIC Chrome Platinum (4)
- Omega 50014

Shave Rating: 8/10
Fourth shave with TOBS Grapefruit for a Sunday single pass shave. A nice pleasant and irritation free shave. I should get at least one more shave out of this sample before moving on and would definitely pick up a tub or tube of this in the future.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Lukewarm rinse.
New Derby blade.
Boker razor.
Lather and Wood cream.
5/10

2 pass WTG AGT. Used lukewarm water to rinse the razor. A few nicks and adrasions. Not a comfortable shave. Not a very close shave.

So today I used a new Derby extra and this time I spent a little more prep time. I specifically wanted to compare the results to yesterday's shave.

Washed my face with glycolic cleanser, and held a hot towel to my face for about 2 minutes. Otherwise the same procedure, except maybe I was a little more carful with the pressure.

A cut at the corner of my chin and many little blood dots all over my chin. However I was much more comfortable and much closer then yesterday's shave. Still not as comfortable as the prior #7 Wilkinson blade.

👎

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower w/ a little conditioner on my whiskers​
Two pass shave w/ touch-up: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar w/ 24 mm Plisson​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​
Rating: 9.0/10 A couple of minor nicks and no irritation
  • A nice shave overall
  • This was my keenest edged razor. It seems to have lost a little bit on the sharpness. I will try stropping with paste to see if it resurrects it. If not, it is time to try my hand at honing (on other "more expendable" SRs first). I have been putting this off, but it is time.....
  • I really, really like this soap - and this brush. I am thinking ahead to what I to do to replace it, whether a direct replacement, or another scent in the same Col Conk family

So, I'm testing out blades because it's time for a bulk buy.

Razor: Fatip Grande
Blade: Astra SP (2nd Use), I only used them when I first started shaving giving them another go.
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Proraso Red
WTG, XTG, ATG

7.5: Not the smoothest shave, but nice and close. Nice post-shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20200913_112943_2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight (Shavemac 26/52 D01-3 Band)
Lather: Speick Stick
Aftershave: Speick
Fragrance: G Eàu Bronze EDT Spray (Belcam Version Of Acqua Di Gio Absolu)

WTG, ATG. Minor XTG touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really awesome shave!

Razor: Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close and pleasant shave.

Rating: 9.8/10

Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (3)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Rating: 8.5

Tonight's shave on 30 hours of stubble. DFS+ after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, especially under the lower lip and on the upper lip, where I could feel stubble going ATG after the shave. Shave felt fairly rough tonight, with one nick above the upper lip.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This was my keenest edged razor. It seems to have lost a little bit on the sharpness. I will try stropping with paste to see if it resurrects it. If not, it is time to try my hand at honing (on other "more expendable" SRs first). I have been putting this off, but it is time
+1 I feel that just stropping isn’t cutting it for me anymore. Started researching stones and honing. I’m not there yet, but that’s probably where I’m headed. Taking it slow as I only recently started using SR again. Even with an unsteady hand I still really enjoy it.

Mon 14 Slantember SOTD
Soap Rasozero Agrumella
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge 1st time use
Post & Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Today's lather contains abit too much water but still slick enough with nice mild lemony scent...
Shave with slant razor pair with 1st time use the famous Gillette yellow blade. Initial impression was just meehhh..
Considered just ok the smoothness and comfort. Efficiency is a tad below the green blade. Have to try again tomorrow. 3 passes with 1 weeper on the chin. Reasonably close...between bbs & dfs.
Post & aftershave was excellent.
Rating 9/10
20200913_183229.jpg

20200914_070025.jpg

Monday Shave - A BBS with a few weepers - 9/10

Pre Shave - Face wash using Truefitt & Hill No. 10 face scrub along with Warm water
Brush - Trigodon Tuxedo Knot synthetic shaving brush
Shaving Soap - Pink Woolf Seabuckthorn & Aloe Vera Shaving Soap
Razor - Merkur 34C HD
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue on 1st use
Post Shave - Running cold water splash along with application of alum
Aftershave - Pink Woolf Seabuckthorn & Aloe Vera Aftershave Balm

So after long I shaved on a Monday morning. A good shave on Monday sets the mood for the week and definitely helps beating the Monday blues. I got a great shave today using all tried and tested products. Did a 3 pass shave where first and second passes were great. It was during the third pass in the quest of achieving a BBS I pressed the razor a bit hard near the chin area and above upper lip and got a few weeepers! Otherwise a fantastic 3 pass shave with BBS achieved!

The alum gave sufficient feedback as expected and further application of aftershave cooled the face down while making it soft and supple. The subtle fragrance of the aftershave is lingering even after 4 hours of shave thereby definitely keeping me on high spirits.

A 9/10 BBS shave which could have been better had I not pressed the razor hard during the third pass thereby gifting myself a few weepers!

Next shave is due on Wednesday. Thank you 🙏🏽
8D9F621C-8306-48A3-9831-B9DEFBE512CE.jpeg

48-hour beard

Vintage Hoffritz Slant, Rockwell blade (2) (more on this in a moment)

La Toja stick

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

After my poor shave with the Rockwell blade on Saturday, I wanted to try the blade again. It was just possible I hadn't tightened the razor down after loading the blade last week. So, same setup, shower, soap, and razor, checked for tightness.

The first pass was not very pleasant. I ditched the blade for a Rapira Super Stainless. The two are not directly comparable; the Rapira went to work on a beard that had already been reduced, while the Rockwell was tackling a full 48-hour set of bristles. But passes 2 and 3 went much better. Near-BBS, verdict 9.2.

Daily Shave: 14 September 2020

No picture today

Prep: Dial Liquid Soap face wash Razor: Viking Chieftain Brush: Viking Badger
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow #5 / #3
Passes: 2 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen in the Container Store tin, using rain water.
Rating: 9.0 BBS Today, I had virtually no stubble, or nicks, but did have a few tiny weepers.

Top Bottom