What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Slantember shave #12
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close. Very pleasant shave.
The RR DE1 shave yesterday was not as close as I thought.☹️ But, the slant fixed that problem. :001_smile

Rating: 9.8/10

IMG_2951.JPG

9.9/10
Razor:GEM OCMM/Gem PTFE
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
AS:Stirling Executive Man

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 7/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Charcoal Goods SS LvL2
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stirling Spice

Just a tough morning. Not feeling well. I forced myself to do two passes and just let it go. Not any of the hardware or software...all of that was first class. It was me. One of those mornings. No blood or problems, just not feeling well overall. Tomorrow is another day and another shave.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200914.jpg

JCarr

So today I used a new Derby extra and this time I spent a little more prep time. I specifically wanted to compare the results to yesterday's shave.

Washed my face with glycolic cleanser, and held a hot towel to my face for about 2 minutes. Otherwise the same procedure, except maybe I was a little more carful with the pressure.

A cut at the corner of my chin and many little blood dots all over my chin. However I was much more comfortable and much closer then yesterday's shave. Still not as comfortable as the prior #7 Wilkinson blade.

6/10

Is that your first spin with a Derby Extra?

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Facial Scrub
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- TOBS Grapefruit cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane L'Homme Cologne Cedrat Gel-Cream
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette 1958 TV Special Super Speed
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8/10
Final shave using my TOBS cream and another pleasant shave. After catching a few nicks with this razor and a BIC last week (plus some delayed irritation) I decided to try it with a less sharp 7'Clock Yellow until I get used to it. The pairing gave a nice smooth shave from a three pass shave with no nicks, irritation (so far) or feedback from the Alum block.
I'll be trying out a Meissner Pink Grapefruit soap sample next, so it will be interesting to see how its scent and performance compares to TOBS.

JCarr

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower w/ a little conditioner on my whiskers​
Two pass shave w/ touch-up: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar w/ 24 mm Plisson​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​
Rating: 9.0/10 A couple of minor nicks and no irritation
  • A nice shave overall
  • This was my keenest edged razor. It seems to have lost a little bit on the sharpness. I will try stropping with paste to see if it resurrects it. If not, it is time to try my hand at honing (on other "more expendable" SRs first). I have been putting this off, but it is time.....
  • I really, really like this soap - and this brush. I am thinking ahead to what I to do to replace it, whether a direct replacement, or another scent in the same Col Conk family

Which Colonel Conk was it?

Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Proraso White
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem Stainless (6)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

Experimented with ATG (which always is a mistake) because I want to be cool like people who chase BBS. After cleaning myself with my styptic, I came to the conclusion that I'll never be cool. :)

It's okay.

I'll still give this shave a 9/10. Great post-shave feel and slathered on way too much Aqua Velva, which is fine by me.

Mondays shave compl.jpg

It’s the start of a new week and two different soaps will be used this week. The first one is Klar Seifen Rasiwerseife. The brush today is an AP Shaving Tuxedo syn. The razor is my Karve SB with the C Plate. The blade is a Treet Platinum. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and L’Occitane aftershave balm. The fragrance is Jimmy Choo Man Intense.

A perfect 10/10 shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Sept 14th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf(Peerless model 17 nibs safety bar) Excellent mid range, Very smooth for a hybrid safety bar. Glade I purchased this one, solid brass.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) Excellent blade, smooth shave today!
Soap: Razorock XXX, I really enjoy this one and will repurchase soon. Great scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic, excellent brush to lather with and those cloud like soft tips!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 orCCS,DFS,BBs, + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with Gem MMCP(Peerless model).

MMMonday, Sept 14th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & Think safe in these times!

9/10. Second shave with the 6c, this time moved from the 3 plate to the 4 plate. Very good shave, kicking the butt of the Razorock BBS I had. Still struggling a little more with nicks or weepers than I'm used to....one of those things were you finish the shave, think "Ahhhh...so nice", luck up in the mirror and...."what the, where'd you little weeping fellas come from?" Oh well. I'm sure its technique, I'm new yet.

Enjoyed a nice shave with little to no irritation which is rare for me. I FINALLY allowed myself to stop chasing the BBS, which usually means after 3 passes I do continuous touch ups and buffing and angles I darn well know only results in nicks for me. Today I made like Elsa and let it go.....and it was fine.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I find the stubble I feel right after a shave isn't as noticeable maybe 2 hours later....

Pre: Shower, "Doctored" Stirling Coniferous pre-shave oil (added eucalyptus and lavender essential oils)
Brush: Razorock Chrome tip (feather soft brush)
Bowl: Dough Smith pottery shave bowl, got off etsy with a tip from a member, love it
Soap: Stirling Babershop
Razor: Rockwell 6c, plate #4
Blade: Astra SP (2)
IMG_7507.jpg

Sept. 14, 2020 - Sunday Fresh
Last Evening's shave

Return back to the RFB after trying it out a couple times before. I was not too impressed with the feel of an open comb razor initially. However, the razor feels very much like an Tech - mild and smooth for all passes. I stuck with the platinum blade here but will likely try a Feather blade to get better shaves (as I have with the other vintage razors so far). OC was fine yesterday - I think I prefer the feel of a solid plate but that might be because I'm used to it. I'll give this razor a go for a week or two.

Albizia is a lovely scent that I'm enjoying quite a bit. For a sunny day out, even though it was cooler outside, this scent is clean and refreshing. It's quite 'green' without any prominent floral notes. Not too strong or overpowering either. Overall, a great mix of products and my skin is decently smooth this morning.

Have a good Monday!

proxy.php

1600095279020.jpeg

Brush: Elite Razor 24mm Manchurian, Whipped Dog Luna Handle
Soap: Stirling Island Man
Razor: Rockwell 6C, R3
Blade: Gillette “Swede”
AS: Stirling Island Man

9/10: I’m sure I could continue to climb up the Rockwell scale, but I don’t see the point when the shaves are as close as they’ve been at R2 and R3.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
pre...hot water
soap...TOBS sandalwood
brush...Kent BK4
razor...EJ DE89
blade...Personna Israeli red...day two...immensely better than day one
hot shower
after shave...4711 cologne...a big, new bottle!

I note others mention nicks. FWIW I cannot recall a nick with this combination, even when doing two passes plus touch up in under three minutes. If there are bleedings newbies out there I recommend it.

8.5/10
image.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
70s Super Speed
Shark SS (9)
Simpsons M6 Manchurian
Proraso 'red' Sandalwood soap
Thayers Medicated Hazel
kanon Norwegian Wood after shave
9/10

After yesterday's shave I was ready to toss the Shark. I didn't. I've learned to be patient with new Manchurians. I've had a couple that start rough but open up and soften after a few shaves. This one felt like it was on the lower end of the Best spectrum the first couple shaves but I'm starting to notice improvement. This was only the fifth use of the brush. Proraso red and kanon Norwegian Wood are the cheapest yet best sandalwood combo I've ever used.

Pre-shave:- Wrights Coal Tar Soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- None

Brush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Home Brew shaving soap

Razor/Blade:- Wilkinson Classic and Wilkinson 7 o’clock Permasharp
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix
Fragrance:- Lacoste
2a.jpg

I am back from a vacation a bit off the grid. It can be peaceful out in the middle of no where from time to time and I did shave but no picture proof. :)

Today was a 48 hour beard as I took Sunday off to shorten up the wake up process to get back on the road. It was day 4 on my coated Person a blade. I used my trusty 1912 and lathered up some Stirling soap along with some splash and edt. It was AWESOME. No real need for a clean up I all but nailed a BBS in three passes. Pretty fun when it comes together like that.

9.3/10

KM

IMG_20200914_063457.jpg

Top Bottom