What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Schick injector
Blade: Schick
Bowl: Fine
Brush: Muhle
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Avon Bay Rum

I haven't used any of my injector razors lately, but this shave reminded me why I enjoy using them so much. Great shave! 9.8/10
IMG_3282 (2).JPG

I do that every shave and I always find stubble along my jawline when I rinse. Been doing this for years and never have figured out why this happens. I even thought that if I gave that area extra attention on my last pass it wouldn't happen. Nope, the stubble would be a bit finer, like going from 100 grit sandpaper to 200, but still there.
That's a good way to describe it: "...stubble would be a bit finer, like going from 100 grit sandpaper to 200, but still there." Like you say, that stubble never really goes away, it only gets finer. And the finer it gets, the greater the irritation. heh. I'm pretty happy when I get ~90% BBS, but a DFS is worthy to shoot for.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221204_114342~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: Zenith B34 Butterscotch Chubby
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Le Père Lucien Oud-Santal
Aftershave: RazoRock Tuscan Oud
Fragrance: Classic Match Oud EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12035954

Razor: English 'LAUREL' OC, c. Early 30's
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush: Yaqi Ferrari 26mm Synthetic
Cream: Palmolive Classic
A/S Balm: Boots The Chemist Freshwood

IMG_20221204_204109818.jpg

Took the 'Laurel' English OC out for a spin today. This one of the many excellent English razor examples that came out in the Interwar period. Laurel were a Sheffield company that were particularly well known for the 'Ladies Boudoir' razor range.

This is basically a version of a Gillette Pocket Edition Old Type. It would have appeared after the shenangans of the Gillette patent 'issues' of the very early 1930's. It is nickelled with some heft. Build quality is excellent.

I got a nice lather on with the usual Palmolive, fast becoming my go-to cream and the Yaqi synethetic which is a huge, well-behaved lather machine.

Slapped in a Nacet on shave 3, and commenced a first pass. The Laurel is a very efficient razor, but is somewhat mild for an Old type design. I can't quite make it out. The top cap is very thin. Anyway the first pass set things up nicely.

Pass two XTG was amazingly mild yet highly efficient. Again laziness of technique did show up though. The writer is not the taught-faced, toned sex bomb of the 1980's, but sadly a slack-faced stink bomb of the 2020's. Stretching of face is critical for me to get a SSF shave nowadays, but I am in denial. A couple of areas of jawline were therefore not left as smooth as I would have liked. Elsewhere however, and on moustache area, an optimum result was achieved.

The final ATG pass was weeper-free perfection, even on the moustache area. Again the odd mildness of the Laurel masking an almost Piccolo like efficiency was clear. An excellent result, and a highly comfortable and enjoyable shave.

9/10 (docking a point for right jawline)

Happy shaves Gents!

Razor: Blackbird Ti
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf 26mm
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Soap: B&M Famine
Score: 10/10
CCS
I had a great shave 1 pass WTG then touch ups. I lathered my bowl and brush in less than 30 seconds I spent longer perfecting the lather application to my whiskers. I made sure to inhale the scent and meditate. What can I say Famine is some great stuff. The blade delivered a sharp shave it was a no nonsense 1 pass with great smoothness. I got slickness when I was washing the soap off. Every step of the way this shave was thoughtless. My brush is oversized but its firm backbone with soft feeling tips makes it a treat. The Famine splash scent lasted hours, when it was still present I covered it up with Le Grande Chypre balm to grease up my skin for the cold outdoors.

Rating: 9/10: Losing a point for more buffing than usual. Still, a fantastic shave!
Sunday December 03, 2022
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Razor: Henson AL13 +++
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
IMG_1784.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
Ti95OC with @Rosseforp GTCB handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (6) Ninja side down
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Shave Chaser CK-6
ASL: Shave Chaser
20221204_114948[1].jpg

What a difference a baseplate makes. Working on five days of stubble, today's noon shave was absolute bliss.

The little orange Omega whipped up an astonishing amount of freakin' awesome lather in my Captain's Choice bowl and I could tell on the first downward stroke of the Ti95OC that I was in the comfort zone.

I spent a good amount of time on the first pass as the Ti95 just wanted to keep removing stubble on each successive buffing stroke, the blade feel minimal but there.
The soft endearing feel of the titanium is so much more present with the open comb than it is with the SB, I just wanted to keep shaving.

The second ATG pass was just as comfortable as the WTG pass, the Ti95 begging me to keep shaving so I did. Not with reckless abandon mind you, but every direction that can be imagined and maybe a few more.
I freestyled on the ATG and came away unscathed so I lathered up with the orange Omega, still full with a voluminous amazing amount of lather, and went for a third pass, mostly WTG and just kept shaving and shaving until there was nothing left to shave.

And I mean nothing.

I completely forgot the Witch hazel my face felt so wonderful after the shave and steeped in the Menthol coolness the Shave Chaser delivers, then the Witch hazel, another splash of Shave Chaser then Nivea balm to put the finishing touch on the best shave I have had in a long, long time.

Yeah, this was a Damn Comfortable Shave.

~doug~

tempImageE25mbk.jpg

Brush: 26mm SynBad
Lather: B&M Cologne Russe
Blade: Feather ProGuard (5)
Razor: Vector

Cologne Russe is an intense scent. I'd describe it as old, opulent, and spicy. This was my second use of it today and it's already growing on me. The Ghost Town Barber splash is a lovely finish to any shave. I had a weeper and medium to high aftershave feedback, so let's score it a 9.3.

image.jpg

10/10 bbs evening shave
Got a tiny weeper but it disappeared.
Used the Gillette 7oclock yellow and was fighting with it. First pass was tugging and not fun 🧐
However I just stayed extra careful and mowed down three passes super smooth.
2.5 days beard growth 😁
Was excited for this one.

Once cleaning up I checked the blade and wow the sticky glue to hold the blade is smeared over the blade edge. No wonder this blade didn’t feel well. Would have been worse if I put the blade in upside down. Yikes.

I’ll gonna give this blade another chance and if it doesn’t produce a smooth shave I’m done with the Gillette blades for now.

On a positive note:
Captains choice scuttle is marvelous highly recommended. Just don’t drop it!

Stirling soap is stellar.
I’m gonna miss this tub when it’s gone!

The Christmas Eve splash gave me the sting and chill I was looking for.

Closed the garage door with witch Hazel.

Now my face is super soft and it smells like I’m Christmas tree shopping.

🎄

Last edited:
Mon 5
Soap & Aftershave Barrister & Mann The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Wade & Butcher 13/16 Wedge
This soap scent is really strong...together with the matching balm...wow! The lather was acceptable...
This razor was refreshed on the La Lune with water & oil and yeah, can feel some improvement...smooth & comfortable enough but need to be keener. Will try again. As it is, the shave was enjoyable in 3passes for a dfs-ccs-sas finish. Rating 9.5
20221205_105240.jpg

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club SR Non Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional Blade (D3)
Brush : Custom Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

Rating : 9.46/10

Very close and very comfortable BBS ! :001_wub: :straight:

Honorary shave for GongGong - Doug's @Rosseforp late father-in-law. May he play MahJong in peace with his buddies.

Date
365 days of shaving342/338
(100%)
GRUME December5/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and touch up pass (XTG)
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95 SC
Timor (6)
Eddison (11)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Small weeper on the right side of the road)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes to today’s shave:

For this honorary shave I brought out the big guns. The R41 took the lead for the first pass. The Timeless took the excellent first pass over the BBS finish line together with the Eddison blade.

Floïd's was nice and Nivea was nourishing. Nice kickstart of the week!

Enjoy your day!

Additional shave notes can be found here

Top Bottom