What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Rockwell 6c 5/2 plate
Brush: 20 year old VDH Boar
Blade: Wizamet
Pre: African Black Soap facewash
Lather: Aleppo Olive Oil soap

Wanted to see how well the 5 plate would cut today WTG. Did Ok but not as close as some other razors I use. I almost never go ATG but tried it today with the 2 plate. It did really well for me. This razor is very mild on the face. I'm liking it so far.

Solid 8. I would have been better off using the 2 plate to start with (a couple of WTG passes would have come close to 1 on the 5 plate) and not having to swap things around mid shave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash. Cremo Classic Shave Cream (tube, applied by hand.)
Soap: Alexander Simpson Bay Rum Shave Cream
Brush: AP Shave Co. Cashmere synthetic
Razor: Blackland Blackbird SS OC
Blade:. Wilkinson Sword (Germany) (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash, Thayers Witch Hazel and Aloe (lemon scent), Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Barberry Coast Bay Rum afteshave splash and edp

I was very much looking forward to this shave. Have been reading so many good things about the Blackbird razor on the B&B forums. I would rate this shave very high...my face is very smooth. The Blackbird is an efficient razor, but it's more comfortable to shave with than my R41. I'll use it for several consecutive shaves before switching up to get a good feel for it. The shave angle on it seemed almost intuitive to me...pretty much riding the cap to get the most out of the blade. Again, my face is very smooth right now with no blood or irritation. The Simpson shave cream whipped up nicely this morning...and I could smell it here and there through my COVID no smell/taste thing. So, Blackland Blackbird...thumbs up! 👍 🙂

No picture today.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

05 December 2022

GRUME_DEC

1670242770838.jpeg

Prep: Old Spice Bar Soap face wash Mexico Now in blue travel bottle
Razor(s): WCS84S Germany / China
Brush: Grey Dog Ohio
Bowl: WCS Timeless Blue Plastic USA
Blade: Derby Extra Turkey Blade # 1 of 7 Shave # 5
Lathering: Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent USA using 1/4 cup nuked rain water
Passes:
  • WTG
  • ATG, XTG and WTG, as required.
  • Buffing as required
Cleanup:
  • Rinsed and dried face
  • Witch Hazel
  • Alum Stick
  • Pinaud Clubman (USA)
Rating(s) and Comments:
Today’s shave rated 9.0 / DFS, moderate buffing required for a smooth face. Blade is ‘hinting’ it is getting dull, but no need to change out at this time.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Barrister & Mann Leviathan
Brush
B&B Essential Boar
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
RR Stealth Slant
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer
Rating
8.5/10
Comments
Today I used my RR Stealth Slant. In the past, I have gotten nice shaves with this razor. However, I have used GSB, Personna Lab, or Med Prep blades. Today I tried a Wizamet. That was a big mistake. The shave was close and BBS. However, I could feel some irritation on my neck. I will give the combo another try on Tuesday. The B&M soap with the B&B Essential made for a very slick, rich lather.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, December 5th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless variant)- Mfg 1946, mid range, this model has the 17 nib safety bar which give a different face feel then the regular MMCP + very enjoyable shave this morning. Rigs shim used also.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, vanilla, light tobacco scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysteries space" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gem MMCP with a coated Gem blade.
Very enjoyable no drama shave this morning!

SOTD Dec 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

308D849C-DBA9-436F-AFF2-8CADFD1C214B.jpeg

Optical Illusion shave

Maggard’s Slant
Astra SP
Vulfix Grosvenor
Stirling Christmas Eve ( inside repurposed soap container )
Nivea Deep AS
9.9/10

Second shave with the slant head and it is still going well. I did pretty much my full routine today and it’s a BBS. So far I haven’t had any mishaps so I am very happy. It was my first use of the Christmas Eve sample soap and it was a delightful scent that didn’t clash with the previous contents of the Noble Otter soap container. Nivea Deep tied it all up.

For a $9 Black Friday deal that Maggard’s slant head punches far above its weight.

Last edited:
Yaqi Rainbow brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Mühle blade (5th use)
Truefitt and Hill Authentic no 10 cream
Personal Barber Coconut and Lavender cream
Surgi Corp International Razor
Paul Smith aftershave lotion and
Nivea Protect and care balm

After yesterday’s luxury Sunday Shave, today I decided to go “Budget”
The Surgi razor is made in Pakistan. Cost me £10 around $12 so if that isn’t budget I don’t know what is.
I bought it for the wooden handle to try on other razors but only got around to trying the complete razor today. Is “Budget” just another word for cheap and nasty?

The head looks like a copy of the standard EJ DE89/Mühle R89 head but on closer inspection, the top cap and bottom plate are considerably thicker. I’ve enclosed a couple of extra pics for anyone interested.

I did a “budget” cream mix for my lather. The Authentic no 10 cream is Truefitt and Hills less expensive cream but mixed with the Personal Barber more soap like cream I got a lovely lather in a few seconds.

So how was the shave?

I had my trusty Merkur 20C on standby just in case the Mühle blade in the Surgi razor cut me to ribbons.

Well, for a $12 razor, it was excellent and gave me an exceptional shave. Smooth, assured, well balanced, just as efficient, if not slightly more so than the DE89 or R89 heads. Ok the wooden handle wasn’t as grippy as other handles in my collection but the shape compensates for that.

The Surgi razor is a perfect beginner or travelling razor. For me, the head is exceptionally good for the price and I’ll definitely use the razor with different handles in the future. This is proof to me that “budget” definitely doesn’t always mean “cheap and nasty.” A great shave today. Smooth, close and effortless.

Score 10/10. No fuss BBS. 2 passes. Zero irritation.

6B567AA3-6F97-46C9-A342-6548F5D7B460.jpeg

510FEC82-4CBA-4403-9A7D-F7AECB9A57E6.jpeg

Attachments

• B038CAD4-2D6F-478F-86C0-31FE6461BF70.jpeg
    B038CAD4-2D6F-478F-86C0-31FE6461BF70.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 5
• Merkur Progress (New razor).
• Bic (new).
• Executive shaving preshave oil.
• Shave Nation badger
• Captain’s Choice copper bowl.
• Thayers Witch Hazel post shave face.
• Nivea post shave balm for face, nose, ears.
• Stirling Soap Company Noir aftershave.

What a difference 24 hours and a new Bic blade makes…….Judge is awarding perfect 10 for this smooth and efficient shave. I used a 4-4-4 notch for my WTG, XTG, and ATG on cheeks with buffing…Thanks out to Markdad2 for the Bic advice!
30D172F4-B743-47B6-A82A-DB2A84066C3B.jpeg
2BDF4465-E6E0-4971-831F-0EF6E68E5732.jpeg

Razor: 1849's Gillette tech razor

Blade: Gillette silver blue (1)
Brush: Custom boar
Pre-shave: Hot shower using baby wash on face and head with facial scrubber
Lather: Clubman soap in tub
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white
Passes: 3
Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Clubman whisky woods
6 - Balm: Nivea men sensitive skin

NOTES: It was an easy going shave. The Clubman soap is fairly thin but slick enough. Light feedback with alum block and aftershave splash. First time using the Nivea balm, it's light, non-greasy and pleasant sports scent. First time using the clubman shave soap, it's decent and scent is classic and light. 9/10

Attachments

• 20221205_070025.jpg
    20221205_070025.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 10

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Monday’s shave
Gillette Super Speed
Asco platinum 3rd use. This turned out to be a great blade.
Soap Commander Vision
APShave synthetic brush
Thayers witch hazel
PAA Cad aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback. Face-low. Neck-low.
Another close comfortable shave with the Asco platinum.
9.5/10

C455202A-1AB5-49FD-B671-7FB2E3D35645.jpeg

Monday shave

Cella Cream Da Barba (red) shave cream
Omega 10066 Boar brush (5)
Yates/WSC Winning razor
Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Omega alum block
Thayers Witch Hazel, rose petal

This was the usual three pass shave. Some buffing was required to achieve the desired shave results.

The Winning razor produced a terrific shave... again! It's amazing how mild this razor is, but it gave a great BBS shave with NO irritation, even on the neck.

10/10 Marvelous!

Enjoy your shave and your day! :badger:

Top Bottom