What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20221204_090650.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Sun Soaps Walnut/Maple w/Yaqi Two-band badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Lather: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating ten

I generally prefer safety bar to open comb razors, but tonight I grabbed my $12 1920s Old Type, just for a change. I used a spare Razor Emporium replica ball end handle, as the original is fubar.

My Old Types are my favourite OC razors and always give a pleasant shave.

I skipped any preshave hoodoo without even thinking about it. I had dropped my prep to just splashing warm water on my face but, thinking back, I haven't even bothered with that for my most recent shaves. It makes no difference to my shaves, I'm certain of that.

I bowl lathered some TOBS Sandlewood cream with hot water and applied it liberally to my dry face. Three passes with the Old Type (Astra SP blade) and I was left with what feels BBS, or so close to it that it doesn't matter. This was slightly closer than yesterday's shave with a Tech and even better than I'd expected, so 10/10.

20220923_173136.jpg

Razor: 1849's Gillette tech razor

Blade: Gillette silver blue (1)
Brush: Custom boar
Pre-shave: Hot shower using baby wash on face and head with facial scrubber
Lather: Clubman soap in tub
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white
Passes: 3
Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Clubman whisky woods
6 - Balm: Nivea men sensitive skin

NOTES: It was an easy going shave. The Clubman soap is fairly thin but slick enough. Light feedback with alum block and aftershave splash. First time using the Nivea balm, it's light, non-greasy and pleasant sports scent. First time using the clubman shave soap, it's decent and scent is classic and light. 9/10
That's a pretty rare Tech! ;)

full

Razor: Razorock Lupo .95 OC
Blade: Feather ( 2nd use)
Brush: Chisel & Hound handle w/AP Shave Co. G5C - 26mm @ 50mm
Soap: Sheep by Stirling Soap Co. (face lather)
Post-Shave: Thayers, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented w/menthol)

Two Pass w/ ATG Cleanup.

Rating: 9 DFS+++

Comments:
I rated the shave a nine, but overall it felt like a 10. Nine due to a few weepers that disappeared by the end of the shave. The razor felt so smooth. But what stood out the most, was the lather. From my limited experience, sheep tallow is like no other. I can't pin it down. It's not just the post-shave feel. It lathers thick and feels good on the skin. Yet there's something more. It's got that je ne sais quoi overall quality. Many would shy away from the unscented due to some of the reviews on the Stirling site. I put off trying Sheep due to those reviews. But when I finally bought it, I sort of expected it to smell gamey. But it's not gamey. Yet it does have a subtle smell of rendered fat. Not in a bad way -- a subtle smell of the fat from a cooked roast. The fat you would save for use later. That's not an offensiveness smell to me. And I don't even notice it when I'm shaving. So anyway, a darn fine shave today.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Rainy Monday evening shave ---

Pre-shave: Weleda Gentle Cleansing Foam

Soap: Arko mixed with Yardley Wild Rose

Bowl: Timeless Blue

Brush: Hawkins & Brimble Synthetic

Razor: Timeless Ti Crown/ATT X1

Blade: KAI Protouch MG

Aftershave: Lustray Spice (GF loves this one ❤️)

Eye gel: Neutrogena Hydro Boost

Another flawless shave. Skin feels soft and smooth with the Arko/Yardley mix again. No weepers or irritation.

Now playing:

R (1).jpg

R.jpg

💈SOTD // Wolfman Ti WR2 SB 1.35 WRH 3/7 // MdC Fougère Soap // Ethos Clean Splash // Simpson M7 Manchurian // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Perma-Sharp // Tom Ford Beau de Jour
2C31E83F-2E2A-444C-AD8B-6BF7C7146755.jpeg

💯/💯
😍🐺😎🐺🙌

Early shave, Late post! Another fantastic result was had this morning.

I took today off of work because of an unpleasant dentist appointment this morning. I was however able to get just about all of my holiday shopping completed today without worrying about running straight to work afterwards.

All in all a pleasant day!

Monday- I wasn't planning to shave today, as yesterday's shave was so nice, but a package from RR showed up today with a new slant razor and a new boar brush; I decided to give the new tools a go. And, a lovely shave resulted- two-passes with some heavy cleanup, no mishaps, and enjoyable, BBS-, 10-/10:

Razor: RR Superslant L2, new- I haven't used a slant in a long while, it was fun
Blade: KCG (3)- had this blade aside for some more use, so I popped it in
Lather: MdC Original
Brush: RR Blondie Boar, new- this was on sale for $7 when I ordered the razor; it being Decemboar the brush simply leapt into my shopping cart; I read these RR Blondie brushes are basically Zenith Pros; since I haven't had an actual Zenith Pro I can't confirm, but could well be

Enjoy the rest of your week

PXL_20221206_003345249.PORTRAIT.jpg

E0D882C7-5B77-4023-BD8A-305B3ACA61DF.jpeg

Two days of growth, time to shave!

Razor: Gillette 46-47 Aristocrat.
Blade: Astra SP, Second shave.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco.
Brush: Ever-Ready 1000, 24mm Maggard Two Band Badger.
Aftershave: Razorock Don Marco.

This old Aristocrat is my best razor so far in the shave dept!
The Astra SP, on its second shave with two days worth of growth struggled a bit but still did a good job!
The Don Marco, I like it. Great lather, slick and I like the scent. My wife does not like the scent.
Ever-Ready 1000, That maggard knot, plain and simple, works great at whipping up a lather. But still having a hard time adjusting to the size, just feels too big on my face.
Don Marco aftershave. I like the scent, a nice tingle when it hits the skin! Here's where it gets interesting. The wife, she does not like the scent of the shave soap yet she loves the scent of the aftershave. I have no clue, as to me they smell about the same? She did say I cannot use it on work days! At home use only!

Rating: 10, only because the wife melted with the scents! Actually a 9 due to the blade.
Wife's rating: Again another "censored" 10+

Last edited:
For details of my PIF'd Blade Journey shave #5 (rated 9.5/10), click HERE. TLDR, very sharp yet comfortable and close shave with a couple weepers. Still BBS- after 12 hours. I used the following setup:

Razor: Birth year 1961 G4 Tech with custom stainless handle by @Rosseforp
Blade: RK Stainless "Specifically designed for the Henson AL13"
Brush: Semogue Owner's Club Mistura Taj (my favorite)
Preshave: Noxema wash with dwell time on the face before rinsing (inexpensive, effective pre-shave)
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough shaving stick (superb)
After shave: Thayer's unscented witch hazel, Intesa balm, vintage Old Spice splash

PXL_20221204_151358650.jpg

Tue 6
Soap & Aftershave Lothur Dave
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor J. R. Torrey 5/8
Very nice lather qualities from today's soap and brush combination. Creamy slick and pleasant scent augmented by the matching splash. The razor was put through the La Lune with oil and the result was a wow! I can feel the edge is different compared with the balsa. The smooth and keen edge is more comfortable. A very enjoyable 3-pass session for a bbs-dfs-ccs finish. Rating 9.7
20221206_101111.jpg

Top Bottom