What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: 1941 Ranger Tech.
Blade: Astra SP.
Brush: Klenzo, 20mm two band Badger.
Soap: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum Balm.

The Ranger Tech, have not shaved with it much. Gave it a go, pleased!
Ran a new Astra SP. Really liking these. They have surpassed my Personna reds by far.
Most of the time it's a toss up between my Ever-Ready 300E or my Klenzo, the Klenzo won. Good brush!
The B&M Bay Rum soap and balm. Taking a good liking to it! A good kick start in the morning scent!

Rating: 10
Wifes Rating: Awesome, nice and smooth!

7C88D449-953F-4D0F-BF2D-B3BA5DA66C99.jpeg

RAZOR Merkur Progress (3 pass @ 2-2-2)
BLADE Gillette Nacet (3)
BRUSH Simpsons Trafalgar T2
SOAP Mitchell's Wool Fat
POST Nivea Balm | Aqua Velva

Haven't used MWF in a few weeks, while I explore and experiment with new and more expensive soaps. It's great to have MWF on my counter as the standard to measure others by.

Great stuff. 10/10 Cheers!

IMG_9604.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221125_152508~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Stainless SE1 (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: @apshaveco Ruby Ripple (AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Homme EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12024923

Saturday morning. On to the shavettes now, and it seemed only right to go with the one that gave the name to the class. The one with an upper-case "S" : the replaceable open blade equivalent of a Hoover vacuum cleaner or a Biro ballpoint pen.

Dovo Shavette (black insert) + Tondeo TSS3 65mm blade
Edwin Jagger horn effect handle Silver Tip badger brush
Esteem "Wild" ("rocksalt and driftwood") soap
Blue Stratos aftershave

I tried this one first with the clear insert and half a DE blade, and liked it, so I went for the black insert. 65mm is something of a niche, with only two big players for the razors (Dovo and Boker) or the blades (Tondeo and Miraki), but I think it gets closer to the feel of a solid blade straight razor.

Screenshot from 2022-11-26 10-12-53.png

The brush is nice. It's the shorter chubby-style handle. Esteem soaps were another pleasant discovery - I always think the scent is a bit more subtle than I was expecting, but they make a good lather. Blue Stratos is another one of those names and smells that has me thinking of the Eighties.

I can't fault any of it this morning, so I'll call it a "10".

Date
365 days of shaving333/329
(100%)
GRUME26/30 (100%)
NOCvember
26/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Razorine Flatboy with Red Lasta handle
Eddison (9)
Bolzano (6)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Very minor weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
9.5/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I was so impressed with the doubling of the Flatboy and the Timeless I decided to do a second shave with them. The Flatboy paired with the Bolzano blade made for an effective first pass. Still running smooth and comfortable. One or two very minute weepers on the chin as the Flatboy shows no consideration for anything that is less than a straight surface.

The Timeless took over and I really had to convince myself I had the blade loaded. It was that smooth! Not a full-blown BBS but excellent results for a regular Saturday of running errands and doing some home cleaning.

I sense the blades are nearing the end of their runs. Not there yet so currently still impressed with these blades. Need to give the Timor some TLC next week.

Pre: shower
Pre: Betty's (gelled 92% Aloe Vera)
Razor: Parker Semi Slant
Blade: Treet 7 Days
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip
Soap: Tallowed Tabac

Rate: excellent silky BBS... 10

My skull skin needed some rest after the Gillette Rubie drawing ruby liquid from it. So the Parker Semi Slant got loaded with a Treet 7 Days after three in stead of my usual two days. This excellent mildish slant has proven once before it can be used on fresh damaged skin that has not healed completely. And both razor and blade did as I hoped: none of the scars were damaged again, no irritations flared and not a scratch of new skin mayhem. Not even a pinprick sized.
I have used Tabac a lot in October and for me it works best when dripping wet. Perfect glide plus the usual lovely post skin feel.
Easy BBS, very agreable shave. The nasty doubt nibbling at my confidence vanished like snow in the sun.
Happy shaver here 👍🏼

B4BC6297-0B5D-4C14-8CBE-EE66ACAA21E2.jpeg

Pretty nice combo today:

Pre-shave/face wash: African Black Soap
Razor: Merkur 33c
Blade: Statum (7 uses and binned)
Soap: Williams Mug

Rating: 9

Could have been a 10 but I hadn't used the Williams in a few weeks and it started to dry out. After a few hits with the brush, it became unglued from the mug and spun around while lathering. Still lathered well, though. Never really had a problem like others do with Williams making lather. Just takes a few more seconds than artisan soaps.

26 November 2022

1669464782754.jpeg

Prep: Old Spice Bar Soap face wash Mexico
Razor(s):
  • At Bat: Van der Hagen Germany
  • On Deck: WCS 84S Germany / China
  • In the Hole: King C Gillette Germany / China
Brush: Grey Dog Ohio
Bowl: WCS Timeless Blue Plastic USA
Lathering: Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent USA using 1/4 cup nuked rain water
Blade: Derby Extra Turkey Shave #3
Passes:
  • WTG
  • ATG and XTG as required
  • Buffing as required
Cleanup:
  • Rinsed and dried face
  • Witch Hazel
  • Alum Stick
  • Pinaud Clubman (USA)
Rating(s) and Comments:
Today’s shave rated 9.5 DFS+. I had to do more buffing than previous days; blade might be wearing out. All in all, an acceptable shave for a cool rainy Saturday morning.

Yesterday, my Amazon Badger brush was laid to rest. The knot broke apart and pulled out of the metal handle. The knot is in the trash, the metal handle in our recycling bin. The Grey Dog brush immediately stepped up to the plate for future shaves. I am considering a long-handled brush I saw at Central Market. If I get a gift card from Santa or the Birthday Bunny (Dec 31), I may pick it up.

Harvesting lots of rain water for lathering.

Razor: 1941 Ranger Tech.
Blade: Astra SP.
Brush: Klenzo, 20mm two band Badger.
Soap: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum Balm.

The Ranger Tech, have not shaved with it much. Gave it a go, pleased!
Ran a new Astra SP. Really liking these. They have surpassed my Personna reds by far.
Most of the time it's a toss up between my Ever-Ready 300E or my Klenzo, the Klenzo won. Good brush!
The B&M Bay Rum soap and balm. Taking a good liking to it! A good kick start in the morning scent!

Rating: 10
Wifes Rating: Awesome, nice and smooth!

View attachment 1562388
Beautiful gear going on there, man. Love it ❤️

Top Bottom