What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, November 25th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Excalibur AC 50mm- Mfg 2021> tame mid range, simple clamping system, small head parts to handle, excellent results 95%> of the time. Affordable + joy to use. Daily driver for some folks IMO.
Blade : Schick Proline p30 50mm (2), sharp & smooth + reasonable longevity for a AC blade IMO.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer rapier, nice scented soap(some refer it to Aramis?) with excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations S.A. for their line of soaps and fragrances.
Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle. Excellent lather generator, soft spit end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer rapier AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur 50mm with a Schick p30 blade.
SOTD November 25 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Happy Thanksgiving Season to all!!!!!
• RazoRock SS .84 GC SB. (New razor).
• Feather blade (2).
• Proraso shaving cream in tube.
• Shave Nation bowl.
• Shave Nation Fine Badger
• Thayers Witch Hazel post shave face.
• Proraso balm and aftershave lotions.

Good morning/afternoon/night and a Happy Thanksgiving Season to all of you. This was my second shave with the RazoRock SS .84 Game Changer SB razor and I am pleasantly surprised by the efficiency and smoothness of this fine razor. Took my time as I did not get in a hurry or impatient as I completed my WTG, XTG, and ATG with buffing on cheeks. The judge has awarded a 10 this morning.
I want to Wish Everyone a very Safe and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday Season!!!! And hope your team(s) win.

734AEA70-180E-464E-B02A-2515E022E0E3.jpeg
E6A2CEA1-EF6D-4B74-A109-C90D8B5DDB47.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Aluminum Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Soap/Cream: Shannon's Soaps Propaganda
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: Paul Trotter Northeast Ice Handle 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Seaforth Black Watch
Rating: 10/10 Excellent efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, one tiny weeper (same as yesterday's), no cuts or irritation. Very good lather, great cushion and residual slickness. Weeper cured by Alum Stick. Overall a near perfect shave again!

9D9F9913-9F49-429C-9954-4D4F174D398A.jpeg

November 24
Third shave.

Preshave: Shower
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Brush 2022 RV Shaving Contributors Brush 26mm Shavemac Two Band Silvertip in Cobalt
Face Lathered
Razor Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Aluminum and Brass @Rosseforp GTS handle
Blade: Vintage Persona Super Platinum Chrome (2)
Splash: Cattie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris!!! That woke me up!
Rating 9.7 DFS+

I was in a hurry for my Turkey Day shave. Still I was much nearer the elusive light touch. Only one small weeper. Un Jour Gris was frosty, but, no burn detected. Just a great shave.

Friday shave

Cella Crema Da Barba shave cream
Re-knotted Paladin brush
Henson Shaving AL13 +++ V2
Wizamet Super Iridium razor blade (2)
Omega alum block
No name ancient styptic pencil :sad:
Thayers Witch Hazel, rose petal

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG. Everything was perfect until...

I did a slide stroke on my neck, but didn't have the skin pulled tight enough, and I got a nick!! User error! Styptic pencil to the rescue!
So, this was a perfect 10/10 shave, close and irritation free, but the nick cost a full point off the score. Some days are like that.

9/10

Have some great shaves and enjoy your day! :badger:

20220811_085208.jpg

Razor: Ronson Shaves and Sharpens
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Waterford Crystal Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
I always get a great shave with this razor.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
View attachment 1562164
Razor: Ronson Shaves and Sharpens
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Waterford Crystal Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
I always get a great shave with this razor.

Wow! Waterford Crystal brush! Nice!

704EF063-EC82-4A56-83C0-76BCBC9130A9.jpeg

Disney Shave

Rockwell 6C Plate 4
Wizamet Super Iridium
Travel brush
Stirling One shave soap
Agua de Violeta’s AS
9.7/10

Shaving on vacation at Disney. I didn’t go all in but the Rockwell and the Iridium still deliver. The Stirling is a gem from one of his one off of cologne impressions, and it’s just a solid scent with the typical Stirling performance.

Tonight was another pleasant shave, although I was chasing BBS.

I started with the Fatboy at #5.5 and worked my way up to #9. I then grabbed my Ikon Tek for my cheeks and neck. That wasn't quite enough for my liking so I did a final pass with my Futur wide open (#6.5). Strangely enough I could hear the Futur cutting stubble away even following after the Tek.

Unsurprisingly, after using the Futur, it was another fantastic 10/10 BBS shave. I can't feel a trace of stubble on my face or neck and there's no irritation whatsoever. The TOBS Sandlewood cream probably contributed as well. Blades were either Astra SP or 7 O'clock Yellows - I struggle to tell them apart without opening the razor up which I generally only do for cleaning and blade changes. The exception is with TTOs - the Fatboy has a Yellow loaded.

It's nice to have a selection of great safety razors to choose from.

Happy shaving!

Friday, November 25th- a great two-pass shave this morning, super close and comfy- minimal cleanup, no issues, rating BBS, 10/10:

Razor: Fatboy- mostly set on 7
Blade: Eddison (1)- the last blade of nine in my Discovery Adventure and it was delightful- a typically nice Personna Israeli blade shave
Lather: Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes- makes a really fine lather with a lovely post feel; it's seven hours later and my skin is still feeling nice
Brush: SOC boar- does the job well
Post: cool rinse, finished with a splash of AS matching the soap- sweet and tangy

Be well everyone and have a great weekend :)

PXL_20221125_194721255.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanksgiving day shave. I decided to share a few images from the ranch instead of a razor focused SOTD. For those celebrating, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum [1]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief Muhle STF 25mm
LATHER: Wholly Kaw Timmermann Classic 1869 Red Label

View attachment 1561869
View attachment 1561870
View attachment 1561872
Beautiful pictures, how many points on that Buck deer head?

full

Preshave: hot shower
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84 SB
Blade: Nacet ( 4th use)
Brush: Chisel & Hound handel w/AP Shave Co. G5C - 26mm @ 50mm
Soap: MdC Rose (face lather)
Post shave: Thayers Facial Toner (Rose Petal), Mennen Skin Bracer, Neutrogena Hydro Boost, Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented w/menthol)

Two Pass w/ ATG Cleanup.

Rating: 9.9 DFS/BBS

Comments: Great shave but the Skin Bracer stung a bit more than usual. Time to toss this Nacet.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Black Friday shave.
Shaved early this morning, but posting this evening. My wife and I went with the kids and grand kids to cut down our Christmas trees. Those are probably the only things not on sale on Black Friday.
Gillette Red Tip. One of my favorite razors.
Personna made in Germany Israeli Red 3rd use and out even though it’s got life left.
1912 Russian Leather. This is another soap that performs well for me.
My brush was the Semogue 1305. IMO a great brush for the money.
Thayers witch hazel
Proraso green aftershave. This AS is one of my favorites.
Proraso white balm. This is my go to balm.
Alum feedback. Face-very low. Neck-very low.
This blade has done a great job in 3 different razors for me.
9.5/10
B603283F-5EE8-4927-BAE9-69E3C1524929.jpeg
B603283F-5EE8-4927-BAE9-69E3C1524929.jpeg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Castle Forbes Pre-shave Balm
- Czech & Speake No 88 Shaving Soap (Valobra base)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Simple Kind To Skin Soothing Facial Toner
- Niod Skin Serums
- L'Occitane Eau des Baux After-Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile Slant
- Rapira Super Stainless (4)
- Vulfix No.28 Boar
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle

Fragrance for the day
- Floris Honey Oud EDP

Shave Rating: 9/10
I had a work from home day today so I decided to have a relaxing lunch break with a bath followed by a shave with some Django Reinhardt playing in the background.
I picked up a 3 piece travel pack of C&S 88 (and the O&C scent) before the Valobra base disappeared and I had my first shave with it today. The lather was excellent, easy to load, slick, good residual slickness, great post shave feel and had that tallowy cling to it. The scent was a very relaxing spicy/woody scent, pleasant to shave with but I don't think I could wear it throughout the day.
It was also my final shave with this blade, it has been a solid mid-tier blade for me but not as good as other Rapira blades.

Over I had a very pleasant and relaxing shave today, I'll definitely be having another bath and shave combo in the future!

Top Bottom