What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

StarCraft brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar and
the Personal Barber Coconut & Lavender creams
Henson AL13++ medium razor
Derby extra blade (2nd use)
Tabac aftershave lotion
Nivea Protect and Care aftershave balm

I haven’t posted for a few days because I’ve just been getting perfect shaves using the Henson razor and experimenting with “mix and match” shaving creams.

The personal barber cream is more solid and soap like than the Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar which is very definitely a cream.
Anyway, I scooped equal portions of both and whipped them up in the bowl, carefully adding drops of water to get that shiny lather.

Well a different scent emerged as they combined and the shave was extremely comfortable.

Something to try yourself perhaps on a rainy day with time to spare?

A really enjoyable shave. Very nice. Splash on the Tabac..hmmm lovely and then the balm.
Very comfy. All set to face the day.

Have a great shave today.👍😊

Score: 10/10. BBS. 2 passes. No irritation.

0F2F26B5-4936-4778-A8D1-DD07B281DE6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Delayed posting from yesterday's shave. Hoping to get today's upcoming shave posted before Thanksgiving festivities are in full force. Experimented with a few different water sources with mixed results. The well water here actually seems less hard than my previous location. Going to try a mix of it later this morning. Excellent BBS although I picked up one weeper.

Happy shaves to all!

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum [2]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief Muhle STF 25mm
LATHER: Ethos Succès [F base]

ethos-bbti-ranch.png

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

View attachment 1561547

Today, I pulled my Electric Blue RR Hawk V2 loaded with a Schick Proline P-30 (2). I bowl lathered some marvelous Daveli Farms Sheep Fat soap with my new Semogue SOC Mistura. It was my second use of the Hawk and the Proline (or any AC blade), and I'm still getting the hang of this type of razor and blade. Man, they are sharp and shave close. The first time I used this combo, I think I got the closest shave I've ever had. Today was similarly close, but with a couple weepers, strangely near the corner of my mouth on the mustache area. I think I may have twisted the razor as it passed over this part of my mouth. The width of the blade is the thing that throws me off a bit. I recently bought some KAI Titan Pink (milder) blades, and I think I'll try one next time I use the Hawk.

8.5/10 for my inattentiveness, but I do love me a close shave like the one the Hawk delivers.

I followed my super close two-pass BBS with Thayer's and La Toja balm (my go to soothing treatment). I also had to splash some vintage Old Spice because I love the scent.

Our plans to have Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family have unfortunately gone awry because my mother-in-law has come down with pneumonia. She's 92 and a very tough woman. She is getting good care, we are thankful that she is improving, and we expect her to recover fully. It is a great reminder that today is about giving thanks. We will have dinner another time.
Here's to wishing all my B&B brethren and your families the happiest and healthiest of Thanksgiving days :badger: .
Wishing you and family the best of luck and blessings

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Seaforth Black Watch Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: 24K Gold Plated Brass Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap/Cream: Seaforth Black Watch
Bowl: Doug Smith Siribachi Shave Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald Handle 24mm SynBad Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Seaforth Black Watch
Rating: 10/10 Excellent efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, one tiny weeper, no cuts or irritation. Almost perfect lather, great cushion and residual slickness. Weeper cured by Alum Stick. Overall a near perfect shave!

SOTD

1966 Gillette Slim|Grizzly Bay Wonder V17 & Mozingo ZT3|B&M Leviathan|DG Dark Fall

This was an insanely slick, incredible scent that was perfect in every way. The razor still performed well but not as well as I’d liked. I was pretty sure I would hate this scent but I loved it! I was given this soap for free and I think I might have to get the matching splash now. Dark Fall paired very well with it.

I used two brushes in a head-to-head battle royale. The V17 had issues loading the soap and was a bit floppy. It was its second use ever. Mind you the V17 is pretty gelly so it was no surprise as this soap was closer to the harder side. I still love the Wonder V17 and it's such a beautiful brush. The ZT3 killed it by being dense and having a good amount of backbone while having soft natural hairs.
315415426_10160602454197930_3673375387521717393_n.jpg
316954865_10160602454202930_119621359318786947_n.jpg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Happy thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it and a wonderful day to the rest of you.
It’s a great day for family to get together.
Today’s shave:
Karve Overlander The more I use it, the more I like it.
Personna German Israeli red 2nd use. This is a good blade even though I was duped into buy them.
Dr Jon’s Crystal Lake soap. Another nice soap with rich lather and good slickness.
Craving Shaving boar brush. Lots of backbone.
Thayers witch hazel
A&E Asian Plum aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback. Face-0. Neck-very low.
Great shave. No need to finesse this razor.
FYI the photo of the tuck is what the website contained and said they were Israeli reds which is what the Israeli plant used for the 10 blade tucks.

9.7/10

5FB0F92A-12B8-4714-8F72-A0DC14F713CB.jpeg
FBAE7BDB-9866-496E-ABF6-6E189B408915.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash
Soap: Moon Soaps Union
Brush: AP Shave Co. Strawberry handle G5A synthetic knot
Razor: Muhle R41 Grande SS with TiBam Titanium handle
Blade:. Kai Stainless Steel (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash, Thayers Witch Hazel and Aloe (lemon scent), Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum afteshave splash

Wonderful, super-close, late-morning Thanksgiving Day shave. Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating!

No time for a picture.

Peace be to you all.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

photostudio_1669235191877.jpg

Razor: Apollo Tempest Soldier
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Elite Razor Kingman Turquoise, Manchurian White fan
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating Ten.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thanksgiving Day 2022 shave -

IMG_20221124_104414466_HDR.jpg

Razor: WSC/Yates Winning
Blade: RK Stainless (3rd use)
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Pre-shave: Proraso white
Soap: Proraso green
Aftershave: Nivea sensitive cool
Rating: 10/10

A great shave for a great day of gratitude with family!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Happy thanksgiving,
Trying to make up from yesterdays shave.
Right off the bat the pre shave oil brought me right into a Christmas movie.
Love the hint of outdoors that comes off this puck. Once applied to face, it feels like I’ve taken a new job as one of Santa Clause’s elf’s, making wooden toys from inside his factory, during a blizzard.

The splash stung and froze which I love.
The coconut water witch Hazel brings a bit of a tropical vibe. Almost like deep blue water.

From the captains choice scuttle, The lather was like a warm soft pillow, how could you go wrong?

9/10

Kent BK8
Tallow + Steel Spiced Fougere
Rocnel Sailor
Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Thanksgiving day is when I start to think holidays and so out comes soaps/splashes appropriate to the season. T+S soap is always fabulous and I love the cardamom, tonka, bay, allspice and bergamot mix of this one. Perfect for the season! Oh, and the shave? Took my time with the softness of the Kent and it was smooth as can be not a nick not an irritation. I’d call it 10

3AE4A015-F313-45A2-ABA2-E7786ECF4DC1.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, November 24th, 2022

Razor : Yaqi "The final cut" adjustable razor- Mfg 2022- designed after the famous Gibbs adjustable designed razor, it just takes regular Gillette standard blades. Very well built and affordable for most folks. Had a very enjoyable close shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette silver blue(5) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock XXX- nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Sagrada Familia" 22mm, 2band badger- excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC razor with a GSB blade.
SOTD November 24 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Two-for-one update!

Yesterday I set out to see if I could get a blood-free BBS shave with a SS Blackland Vector SB and a Feather Pro Super blade. The answer it turns out is no, I couldn't.

I managed a small cut shaving ATG on the moustache area, which is always a risk for me using an aggressive combo there. The blade catches on the coarse hair and then ouch! Thankfully the styptic pencil magically stopped the bleeding.

The rest of the shave was OK. I conclude that this combo is too aggressive around my mouth and chin. Unfortunately the Vector with a milder blade won't get me BBS under my jaw and on my neck. A disappointing but informative shave. 6/10.

Today I thought I'd be a bit less reckless. I popped a new Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow into my Fatboy and started around my mouth at setting #4. This was mild enough to shave over yesterday's cut without injuring it again. I then upped the aggression to #9 to finish off and did finally manage a blood-free BBS. I'm repeatedly impressed with just how versatile and effective the Fatboy can be. 10/10.

The Vector is great, and a very nimble razor, but it seems I'm going to have to choose between the Pro Super or a milder blade and use another razor to do the other parts of my face. Maybe Blackland could devise an adjustable titanium Vector? 😂

Top Bottom