What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

SHAVING WITH MASETO

Pre-Shave: Gillette Beard Oil (GER)

Soap: Musgo - Hard Soap (P)

Brush: Maseto Classic Extra Density Two Band Silvertip Badger (CHINA) - Called by some "The Chinese Chubby".
This is a 30 mm Knot with a Loft of 56 mm.
The difference is: one can buy six of these for the price of some Manchurian Chubby 3.
First impression when I got it some months ago was very positive. I got amazed with the overall quality. I don't know if it's less denser than a Simpson, which claims that can put 20000 hairs in a knot. But one thing I know it's almost as dense or equally as my 30 mm D01 TWO BAND SILVERTIP SHAVEMAC. As for backbone it pretty equals my Shavemac, as you can see by the picture below. And Shavemac builds some of the denser, if not the densest knots around.
There's also lots of talk about the glue bump in Maseto's brushes. Ok, it's not nice to feel it, it's a question of finish detail, but I don't care a damn as long as I don't see it, which I can't, nor nobodies. In terms of functionality what matters is the FREE LOFT - the lenght of hair from the roof of the glue until the top of the tips. So I measured it, rudimentarily, with a stick.
These are the measures for the Maseto and the Shavemac:

Shavemac Loft: 58 mm
Shavemac Free Loft: 52 mm
Loss: 6 mm

Maseto Loft: 56 mm
Maseto Free Loft: 51 mm
Loss: 5 mm

In Conclusion: Maseto has more Free Loft than Shavemac.

There's nothing like measuring an hypothesis.

As for the tips themselves:
It's obvious that they look overtreated for the colour they exhibit. They are very soft when wet and sort of gelish, yet they are not gel tips whatsoever I can guarantee.

This brush lathers extremely good in bowl making a very fast rich lather.
Its Loft is sort of a Continental Type or Bulb Loft, perhaps tending to be an hybrid one as Simpson's. Which means that has higher bristles in the centrum which decrease in size to the periphery.
This implies that the point of application on face is much more narrow than a typical face lathering brush as it is the case of a Fan Loft or "English Type".
No matter what, I face lathered with the classic "come and go" movements for bulb brushes and intercalated with some rotations as well. The result was very good.
In what concerns shedding, well I've broke in this guy some months ago and until now it sheded one or, perhaps, two hairs at most.
So for the bucks I paid for it I must give a really big thumb up to this guy and say that, as much as I love them, Simpsons are indeed overpriced.

Blade: Feather (JPN) - Fresh out of the packet. I choosed this blade to give more agressivity to the SR. Some tugging on the first strokes were felt which is typical from Feather's.

SR: Gillette Super Speed 1948-49 (US): Excellent vintage TTO razor which shaves in a mild to medium agression manner. Of course with a Feather its agressivness grew stronger. As I know very well this razor I risked some aerobatic techniques: Gillette Glide on some passes on face, J hookings under the jaw line and some blade buffing in a particular difficult area on my neck which tends to resist to shaving. Yet I stopped on time to avoid any serious razorburns.

Aftershave:

- 444 Alum-Block (P) - strong feedback in the first couple of minutes.

- Clarins Men Hydra-Sculpt (F)

Scent: Penhaligon's Savoy Steam Eau de Parfum (UK) - a wonderful long-lasting scent. Incredibly good.

The Shave: 9.5/10 bbs
A tiny tiny weeper on my chin.
The irritation from the Feather lasted for 3 or 4 hours. I know I also played a bit, but nevertheless Feather is definitely not my go to blade.

First Pass: WTG with some Gillette Glide on face.

Second Pass: XTG, East to West

Third Pass: ATG on Face and Neck and XTG (West to East) on mustache and chin areas.

Pickups: some blade buffing and J hookings on neck.

Attachments

• 20221004_201715.jpg
    20221004_201715.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221004_202446.jpg
    20221004_202446.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221004_202904.jpg
    20221004_202904.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221004_205028.jpg
    20221004_205028.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221004_210846.jpg
    20221004_210846.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 8
119A1F05-CB46-4EE9-BBAB-779EA26F28D3.jpeg

15:30 hr, coffee and shave time!

Pre-shave oil Stirling Baker St
Soap Stirling Baker St
Razor Yates 921-EH
Blade GSB (2)
Brush Yaqi 2-band badger “Green Obsidian”
After-shave Stirling Baker St

BBS 3-passes. I irritated my neck a little with XTG. No weepers and overall a very enjoyable, slow shave.

This shave weighs-in with a fine 9.5/10

Pre-shave: Proraso White
Cream: Geo F Trumper Coconut
Razor: Razorock Lupo 95 OC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
After Shave: Skin Bracer + Nivea cooling balm

9/10: Second go around with the Lupo which is my first OC razor and first with positive blade exposure. Very close and efficient 2 pass, WTG/XTG, shave with no nicks or irritation. I still think the shaves can get better as I use it more and figure out the best angle to use, especially under the nose where it felt like I was scraping the bare blade on my skin. The Lupo 72 or GameChanger 84 would be my other options if the 95 doesn't pan out.

Today was a first run with a Kai SS blade, courtesy of a thoughtful PIF from @Dtownvino . Today also inspired a frakensoap mix in an attempt to clear out remaining sample jars of less favored scents, including DG 88 Chestnut and A&E Asian Pear.

The Kai blade performed well, particularly ATG, but additional sessions will be needed to evaluate its full potential in the Blackbird.

For more details on the Kai blade and today's shave: www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rocket-1-shave-logs.628017/post-11954951

Overall Score: 9.4 / 10

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Kai SS [1]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief Muehle STF 25mm
LATHER: HoM Z (70%), DG 88 Chestnut(10%), A&E Asian Pear(20%)

bbti-chief.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221004_155318~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTC 25G Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (4)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

A top tier kit and a superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11954858

Brush: TurnNShave $10 Special
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Razor: Razorock .68 GC on a Gillette Tech Fat handle (replated by BRG no less).
Preshave: Proraso White
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave Splash: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: The kids at school made it for me in art class.
BBS with just a little irritation under either my second or third chin, I kept chasing that last little bit too long.
I just love the scent of the Stirling Barbershop, the Mrs. not so much.
sotd9-4.jpg

SHAVING WITH MASETO

Pre-Shave: Gillette Beard Oil (GER)

Soap: Musgo - Hard Soap (P)

Brush: Maseto Classic Extra Density Two Band Silvertip Badger (CHINA) - Called by some "The Chinese Chubby".
This is a 30 mm Knot with a Loft of 56 mm.
The difference is: one can buy six of these for the price of some Manchurian Chubby 3.
First impression when I got it some months ago was very positive. I got amazed with the overall quality. I don't know if it's less denser than a Simpson, which claims that can put 20000 hairs in a knot. But one thing I know it's almost as dense or equally as my 30 mm D01 TWO BAND SILVERTIP SHAVEMAC. As for backbone it pretty equals my Shavemac, as you can see by the picture below. And Shavemac builds some of the denser, if not the densest knots around.
There's also lots of talk about the glue bump in Maseto's brushes. Ok, it's not nice to feel it, it's a question of finish detail, but I don't care a damn as long as I don't see it, which I can't, nor nobodies. In terms of functionality what matters is the FREE LOFT - the lenght of hair from the roof of the glue until the top of the tips. So I measured it, rudimentarily, with a stick.
These are the measures for the Maseto and the Shavemac:

Shavemac Loft: 58 mm
Shavemac Free Loft: 52 mm
Loss: 6 mm

Maseto Loft: 56 mm
Maseto Free Loft: 51 mm
Loss: 5 mm

In Conclusion: Maseto has more Free Loft than Shavemac.

There's nothing like measuring an hypothesis.

As for the tips themselves:
It's obvious that they look overtreated for the colour they exhibit. They are very soft when wet and sort of gelish, yet they are not gel tips whatsoever I can guarantee.

This brush lathers extremely good in bowl making a very fast rich lather.
Its Loft is sort of a Continental Type or Bulb Loft, perhaps tending to be an hybrid one as Simpson's. Which means that has higher bristles in the centrum which decrease in size to the periphery.
This implies that the point of application on face is much more narrow than a typical face lathering brush as it is the case of a Fan Loft or "English Type".
No matter what, I face lathered with the classic "come and go" movements for bulb brushes and intercalated with some rotations as well. The result was very good.
In what concerns shedding, well I've broke in this guy some months ago and until now it sheded one or, perhaps, two hairs at most.
So for the bucks I paid for it I must give a really big thumb up to this guy and say that, as much as I love them, Simpsons are indeed overpriced.

Blade: Feather (JPN) - Fresh out of the packet. I choosed this blade to give more agressivity to the SR. Some tugging on the first strokes were felt which is typical from Feather's.

SR: Gillette Super Speed 1948-49 (US): Excellent vintage TTO razor which shaves in a mild to medium agression manner. Of course with a Feather its agressivness grew stronger. As I know very well this razor I risked some aerobatic techniques: Gillette Glide on some passes on face, J hookings under the jaw line and some blade buffing in a particular difficult area on my neck which tends to resist to shaving. Yet I stopped on time to avoid any serious razorburns.

Aftershave:

- 444 Alum-Block (P) - strong feedback in the first couple of minutes.

- Clarins Men Hydra-Sculpt (F)

Scent: Penhaligon's Savoy Steam Eau de Parfum (UK) - a wonderful long-lasting scent. Incredibly good.

The Shave: 9.5/10 bbs
A tiny tiny weeper on my chin.
The irritation from the Feather lasted for 3 or 4 hours. I know I also played a bit, but nevertheless Feather is definitely not my go to blade.

First Pass: WTG with some Gillette Glide on face.

Second Pass: XTG, East to West

Third Pass: ATG on Face and Neck and XTG (West to East) on mustache and chin areas.

Pickups: some blade buffing and J hookings on neck.
Thanks for your detailed review!

Guido

Wed 5
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor Pearl OC on yaqi handle
Blade Gillette Nacet Stainless 1st
Aftershave Stirling Executive Man Splash
Fabulous cone of creamy and slick lather from the soap. Pleasant scent enhanced by the matching splash.
Good razor paired with good blade results in a great shave! Rating 10/10!
20221005_102757.jpg

Date:05.10.2022
Focused participations:05/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
278/278 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
05/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition
Blade:King C Gillette (24)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
KCG Face wash
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:9/10 (~15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:10/10 (BBS+)

Next OC in my rotation is my first OC I bought in the beginning of this year - the Fatip Special Edition. Plating is starting to disappear, but when it comes to shaving this is a remarkable little razor. I am absolutely in love with it. The blade performed as if fresh out of the wrapper on a for me unprecedented 24th run.

Loading my brush took maybe 5 seconds or so to produce a very fine face lather. Thick yet never dry, smooth and the post effect very slicky. And I get what Jack Goossen mentioned this morning about the scent and it triggering something inside my brain. I cannot put my finger on it, but once lathered it is nothing like straight from the puck - at least not for me.

And combining end result was amazing. I was buttery smooth all over with an excellent post shave feel. And so my maiden shave with Tabac is in the books. And I must say that it was everything others raved about and a big thank you therefore to specifically JAHE for his persistence in me wanting to try this soap. Was it worth breaking GRUME for? #onnodig I have been told yesterday. Was it fun to do? Yes, it was and I was surprised by the results. Just as surprised as I was when I first used an open comb.

Ponderings on today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11955270

Have a great day everyone!

Treet Carbon Steel Blade review(s)

05 October 2022​
1664969305241.jpeg

Prep
Baylis & Harding Cedar & Amber liquid gel soap.
Today’s
Razor
King C Gillette
Brush
Omega--11126
Bowl
Fine Stoneware
Lathering
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent (using boiled tap water)
Treet Carbon Steel Blade
Silver Pakistan Shave #3
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinse and dried face
Witch Hazel
Alum Stick
Noble Otter Lone Star After Shave
Rating(s) and Comments
Today the Treet Silver blade, King C Gillette razor, Noble Otter Lonestar soap, and Omega—11126 brush, combined with a long soak-in prep, yielded another 10.0 BBS quality shave this morning.

Top Bottom