What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

94F0726F-4AC9-4DE3-903E-4807A5FA266F.jpeg

Blackland Sabre L2
Personna Gem - PTFE
House of Mammoth
PALADIN

Sabre glass 💯 😎

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, OCtober 4th,2022

Razor : Yaqi Katana SE- Mfg 2019>, excellent mid range, steep angle (riding the bar) with a short handle(Yaqi re-tracking head) gives stellar shaves, small head parts make it interesting to assemble. I bump the blade with a paper tuck box when assembling for alignment. Very affordable head MO.
Blade : Gillette Astra (1) sharp and smooth with great longevity. This blade works well in the Yaqi Katana razor head.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice sweet clean smell with excellent lather qualities. Makes excellent ubber lather also.
Brush : Yaqi Moka express 24mm Mew knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Emperor AS:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my SE Yaqi Katana razor with a 1/2 Gillette Astra SP blade. Very nice shave & results where stellar.
SOTD October 4 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

4513DB8A-6041-43BA-9A1E-5A93195B56B1.JPG

For Shave Science!

RR SLOC
Polsilver Super Iridium
Omega 49
Phebo Lima da Persia ( glycerine soap )
Agua da Azahar
9.4/10

I've been using the Phebo as a preshave and it just makes crazy good lather, so .....

Not a bad shave. I mean the SLOC and the Iridium are really a gentle but efficient combo so I don't need much from my lather but decent slickness and enough cushion to keep things comfortable, and this little glycerine bar handled that fine. Post-shave feel is about what you'd expect from a non-shave product, but I was expecting that and it really wasn't bad. I didn't bother with a balm, but I obviously could have if needed.

Pleasant shave. The Phebo has a bitter citrus scent I like so that was pleasant. That said, I think I'll keep it in the shower for a preshave product where I think it actually does a very good job.

• RazoRock SS Lupo .95 OC razor.
• PolSilver (3).
• Stirling Soap Citron shaving soap.
• Shave Nation Finest Badger brush
• Witch Hazel splash for face.
• Nivea after shave balm for face.
• Sterling Soap Citron after shave lotion for back of neck and chest.
• Today’s preshave was hot water and Executive Shaving pre-shave oil.
• Today’s lathering was directly from puck to face.

The judge is awarding a 10 today with no weepers, cuts, or any other fuss. OCtober was in the air this morning with cool temps in the 50’s, a warm cup of coffee, and one of my top razors, the RazoRock SS .95 Lupo OC.
A two day growth provided little resistance for the Lupo OC and PolSilver (3). I really enjoy the aroma of the Citron Soap and aftershave. Starting to become one of my favorites. Have a great October Tuesday everyone!
A72C1DAC-8069-43CD-A588-78E68B7B3962.jpeg
B7B2EBD0-6159-4B46-9EE4-4A306A4C1577.jpeg

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Aluminum Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Soap/Cream: La Toya (Grated stick into a soap tub)
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue Tangerine Handle SOC Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, no weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice lather, cushion a little lacking as was residual slickness, but did produce volumes of lather. Did have a couple red spots again that didn't bleed, but gave them a quick swipe with an Alum Stick to be on the safe side. Overall a nice shave.

View attachment 1533448

For Shave Science!

RR SLOC
Polsilver Super Iridium
Omega 49
Phebo Lima da Persia ( glycerine soap )
Agua da Azahar
9.4/10

I've been using the Phebo as a preshave and it just makes crazy good lather, so .....

Not a bad shave. I mean the SLOC and the Iridium are really a gentle but efficient combo so I don't need much from my lather but decent slickness and enough cushion to keep things comfortable, and this little glycerine bar handled that fine. Post-shave feel is about what you'd expect from a non-shave product, but I was expecting that and it really wasn't bad. I didn't bother with a balm, but I obviously could have if needed.

Pleasant shave. The Phebo has a bitter citrus scent I like so that was pleasant. That said, I think I'll keep it in the shower for a preshave product where I think it actually does a very good job.
Kind of shaving with a PlacPhebo soap then? LOL

Excellent on shaving for science 👏🏻!!

Guido

IMG_20221004_100107.jpg
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable 1962
Razor: RazoRock SLOC

Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum 🇬🇷
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite
Soap: TOBS Mr Taylor
Bowl: Fine
Pre shave: Lather Scrub & hot towel
Aftershave: CC Land Ho!

Fresh blade in the Slim was not playing well with my face. Not sure what I had done wrong but it was time to bail out.
Switched to the SLOC for the 2nd pass and it was smooth as glass. Could barely tell that there was a blade in the razor.
In the end, a fine shave for sure.
Rating: 9/10 BBS

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Finest Badger
Blade: Dorco Titan (5)
Razor: Timeless .95 OC
Soap: Tabac

20221004_084701-01-01.jpeg

Tallow Tabac Tuesday meets Tabactober!

Two passes with some touchups made my skin feel like 12 again. Needless to say the rest of the gear performed gracefully as well. No nicks or blemishes, just a calm BBS skin.
Terrific!

10/10

Have some great shaves, y'all!

View attachment 1533537Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable 1962
Razor: RazoRock SLOC

Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum 🇬🇷
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite
Soap: TOBS Mr Taylor
Bowl: Fine
Pre shave: Lather Scrub & hot towel
Aftershave: CC Land Ho!

Fresh blade in the Slim was not playing well with my face. Not sure what I had done wrong but it was time to bail out.
Switched to the SLOC for the 2nd pass and it was smooth as glass. Could barely tell that there was a blade in the razor.
In the end, a fine shave for sure.
Rating: 9/10 BBS

That is one shiny Slim! Did you polish that or was it replated? Either way, what a great looking razor!

10_01 sws.jpg

I am calling this razor my shaving-year razor. To the best of my recollection (without the benefits of previgen so take this with some salt!), I started shaving sometime in 1979, when I got my first job that summer as an Amoco gas station grunt! Remember when most stations had two islands with 4 pumps, and two service bays? That was my first job. "Would you like your oil checked or need air in your tires? Let me clean your windows!" And I was clean shaven, as were all the other guys. One mechanic had a mustache. But I was started on a cartridge razor, most likely an Atra that came in the mail to all the guys in our house. I like to think that in some parallel universe, an alternate MaineYooper got a brand new Super Speed to start shaving with, as a gift or bought with money from my first job! It does seem like a good fit for a gift in my family.

Anyway, I digress (as usual, just ask my wife!). This is a very nice '79 black-handle Super Speed. And it shaves like a charm! No irritation no matter how much I buff. And it gets the job done. Six months into discovering traditional wet shaving, I had a birth year Super Speed and I thought it too mild and inefficient. Now with 7 years of technique training, I think it was me, not the Super Speed.

That is one shiny Slim! Did you polish that or was it replated? Either way, what a great looking razor!
Thank you.
It was an eight dollar eBay purchase and I cleaned it up with a toothbrush and a polishing cloth. There were still some gray inside the knurling after that but I rubbed it lightly with a soft brass brush and that's all it took. It is a fine razor and I feel lucky to use it.

@MaineYooper - great soap choice today :)

October 4th shave- a lovely three-pass shave with minimal buffing resulted in a fine 10/10, smooth like silk shave; no irritation, no mishaps:

Razor: Feather AS-D2- this razor loved the fresh Feather blade; maybe the ultimate homage to the Tech
Blade: Feather DE (1)
Lather: Canada Shave Soap- always easy to lather and very effective; perhaps I'll eventually make a decent dent in this puck
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached boar, olivewood- this is a really nice brush
Post: cold rinse, then a splash of Humphrey's witch hazel; we're off for a hike, so no scents that might attract any bugs :)

Have some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20221004_181651364.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

@RenoRichard, exactly! I have been loading heavy and long, and there is just the slightest drop in the level. Which is good, I guess, as it truly is superb! Here is this morning's lather. I only wet the tips, and loaded for 30sec or less with no splaying or mashing, then face lathered, adding 3 or 4 "tip dips" as I worked it up. This shot is AFTER lathering my face for pass 1!
20221004_123222.jpg

Top Bottom