What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

RAZOR Merkur Progress (3 pass @ 2-2-2)
BLADE Gillette Perma-Sharp (1)
BRUSH Simpson Trafalgar T2
SOAP MdC Fougere
POST Aqua-Velva

MdC Fougere and Aqua-Velva pair nicely for me. Love classic scents. My goal was to try and finish this Fougere sample by Christmas to buy a full container… I’ve got two months. ❤️❤️❤️

9.5/10 Cheers!

9B9CDBCD-2C7E-455C-9629-04B3A61574A4.jpeg

RAZOR Merkur Progress (3 pass @ 2-2-2)
BLADE Gillette Perma-Sharp (1)
BRUSH Simpson Trafalgar T2
SOAP MdC Fougere
POST Aqua-Velva

MdC Fougere and Aqua-Velva pair nicely for me. Love classic scents. My goal was to try and finish this Fougere sample by Christmas to buy a full container… I’ve got two months. ❤️❤️❤️

9.5/10 Cheers!

View attachment 1533157

I agree. Love the Fougere and Ice Blue.

And it amazes me how many shaves I got from the tiny sample jars of MdC from Maggards. It took me a while to finish the Agrumes and Fougere, still working on the other two - Vetyver and Original.

Preshave: Glycerin Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club SS Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D8)
Brush : Simpson Chubby 3 Super Badger in Cobalt
Soap : Martin de Candre Fougere
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + FA Speedster AS Lotion

Rating : 9.37/10

Very close and comfortable BBS :001_wub::straight:

Date:04.10.2022
Focused participations:04/31 Days in GRUME
277/277 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
04/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel
Blade:Dorco Titan (9)
Brush:Kox Blue Synthetic
Soap:TGS Sea Citrus
Bowl:Proraso
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Nivea (Balm)
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:9.5/10 (One or two spots)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:9.5/10 (BBS)

I was looking forward to this shave for OCtober. And boy did it deliver. The Fatip is a wonderful razor and I am so in love with its design and simplicity. If I had to choose one razor I would really have a hard time picking the one, but my Piccolos definitely make the short list.

Ponderings to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11953815

83A3033C-9DAE-48B4-8CE4-8F8CFBE48463.jpeg

Tue 4 Taba-OC-tober
Soap
Tabac
Brush SOC Cherry Wood Boar
Razor Karve Brass OC-D
Blade Perma Sharp 1st
Aftershave Clubman Brandy Spice
Marvelous soap, great brush, and awesome splash!
Excellent shave with the razor and blade combination! It's so smooth I can hardly feel the blade. 3 delightful passes for a bbs finish. Rating 10/10!
20221004_132558.jpg

Treet Carbon Steel Blade review(s)

04 October 2022​
1664882521334.jpeg

Prep
Baylis & Harding Cedar & Amber liquid gel soap.
Today’s
Razor
King C Gillette
Brush
Omega--11126
Bowl
Fine Stoneware
Lathering
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent (using boiled tap water)
Treet Carbon Steel Blade
Silver Pakistan Shave #2
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinse and dried face
Witch Hazel
Alum Stick
Noble Otter Lone Star After Shave
Rating(s) and Comments
Today the Treet Silver blade, King C Gillette razor, Noble Otter Lonestar soap, and Omega—11126 brush, combined with a long soak-in prep, yielded a 10.0 BBS shave this morning.

Looking over my shave log, my past substandard results with Treet Silver blades occurred when I used a heavy razor. So far, using only my KCG and VDH razors resulted in great shaves. Perhaps Treet blades work better in light weigh razors.

Brush: Kent BK4 pure badger
Razor: Mühle Rocca head with Feather AS-D1 handle.
Blade: Derby Extra 1st use
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Cream: T&H Trafalgar
Post Shave: Nivea Skin Energy

Have stopped doing any pre shave prep other than having my usual shower before shaving.

Today went from the sublime to the ridiculous as I attached the handle from my very mildest razor the Feather onto the head of my most aggressive fixed non adjustable razor, the Mühle Rocca.

Haven’t used the Kent BK4 brush for many years. It came up in conversation here yesterday so I thought I’d dust it off and revisit it. It produced tons and tons of lather, enough for a Sunday Lunch if you could eat it. The disappointment for me is the feel on the face and lack of backbone. I’m spoiled by the springiness and softness of the modern synthetics these days and can’t seem to go back to a badger brush now. It’s still a good brush don’t get me wrong but I’ve moved on. It’s a bit like fur coats. You don’t see many of those around like you did when I was a kid back in the 60’s. Anyway. Moving on…

The Feather handle isn’t a good match for the Rocca head for me. The thinner diameter handle didn’t mechanically dampen the head so much and there was a bit more blade chatter and the head kind of groaned instead of singing during the shave. I’m acutely aware of the changes in technique required when using this Rocca head. Absolutely no pressure and an almost vertical angle to the face on the downward pass. It was an excellent shave nonetheless. One pass would have been sufficient as it’s a very efficient Razor. I went for a very, very light against the grain pass and it was BBS immediately on my fine haired beard. The Mühle is a mighty fine German engineered Razor. It’s growing on me.

Score: 9.5/10 (my bad for changing the handle.) 2 passes. Easy BBS. No irritation.

662C6AD4-CB7A-4253-B29A-7847F3DE3138.jpeg

Tuesday

Pre-shave: Jack Black pure clean
Soap: Parker Sandalwood and Shea butter
Brush: Parker silvertip
Razor: Parker 11R oxhorn, Astra SP
Razor: Dovo Bismarck 6/8
Post-shave: cold water splash, Nivea sensitive, Jack Black double duty
Aromatherapy: Halston Z-14

All Parker base kit this morning and I’m always impressed with the slickness and post-shave feel of the Sandalwood and Shea butter soap. The 11R was the first DE I bought, and the Dovo the last….After 1st pass with the oxhorn I re-lathered and took cheeks with the straight, then finished up with DE.

I’ve been stropping the Dovo both before and after use,but also have been doing 20 “practice laps” mid day - technique is far better than last week and I think it’s being felt during the shave as the “comfort factor” continues to improve. Not only that, but I’m convinced that progressing with the straight is benefitting my DE work.

A beautiful drama free 9.7 DFS+ again today, with dare I say a nicely hydrated, “glossy” factor when I cop a face feel. What a great hobby and great way to start the day.

EB95A369-E81E-4B87-9517-220AECBD3F4B.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Classic shave soap (applied by hand - tube)
Soap: Tabac (tallow)
Brush: AP Shave Faux Boar knot
Razor: Muhle R41 Grande SS
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel & Aloe (Lemon scented) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood aftershave splash

In a word...brilliant! DFS/BBS with no blood...SMOOOOOTH! Shave was on three-days of growth. Second Tabactober shave is in the books. Nuff said! New brush from AP Shave Co...fancy handle...love this knot.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A_20221004_085807_HDR.jpg

Another Old Type arrived today, this one has the P&G "Use Ivory Soap" advertising stamped into the baseplate. The handle is a bit tatty but at least it screws on properly. The plating on the baseplate and cap is pretty good for being 100 years old. The screw on the top cap seems slightly longer than normal so some of my handles won't fit without a packing washer - that's just an observation as I have handles that do fit and a bag full of M5 nylon washers.

I gave it a try with an Astra SP (2) and got a comfortable DFS, just the same as with my other Old Type. I'd rate it as a 9.5/10 as it's not BBS, but it will do for today.
View attachment 1530438View attachment 1530439

Lovely razor!! And it will do, very well IMO!!

Top Bottom