What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I would LOVE to try the Tabac soap one day given the really good reviews it has had from various online sources.

Jason.

You should get some soon since the tallow formula has been discontinued. It would be a shame to miss out on a great soap that will last you a long time. You can see the differences between old & new formulas below.

tabac-comp-2.png

If you get the Tabac stick, they are usually quite inexpensive. You can easily convert a stick into a puck if you want.

The new formula may be OK, but the old formula is great.

You should get some soon since the tallow formula has been discontinued. It would be a shame to miss out on a great soap that will last you a long time. You can see the differences between old & new formulas below.

View attachment 1352744

If you get the Tabac stick, they are usually quite inexpensive. You can easily convert a stick into a puck if you want.

The new formula may be OK, but the old formula is great.
Thanks for that. Is there really that MUCH of a difference between the two?

On a side note. I was considering asking my wife for a Tabac soap as a Christmas present.

Jason.

I'll have to let some other people answer that one. Let's just say I stocked up on the old formula as soon as I heard it was changing!

:glare:
Thanks for your reply. Another soap (or cream) I have in mind is the Geo F Trumper Coconut.

So far the only shaving soaps/creams I have is the unscented soap (and brush) from Amazon my wife got me for my birthday and the Body Shop aloe vera shaving cream. Both do a really good job but I can't get any more creams/soaps until they run out! My wife has made it clear she doesn't want too many soaps/creams filling up the bathroom!

Jason.

Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Gillette Spoiler
Brush: Semogue Mistura
Soap: Stirling Sheep
AS: Stirling Baker Street

The Lupo loves the spoilers and the end result was smooth and irritation free. BBS face, DFS neck. My first time with the lamb tallow left me impressed, easy to lather and nice face feel post-shave but...

the star in this lineup was the Baker Street aftershave. I never tried the original from Strop Shoppe but the scent on this Stirling remake... :001_wub:
Bonus points since my wife loves it also. 9/10

20211026_132247.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Another soap (or cream) I have in mind is the Geo F Trumper Coconut.

So far the only shaving soaps/creams I have is the unscented soap (and brush) from Amazon my wife got me for my birthday and the Body Shop aloe vera shaving cream. Both do a really good job but I can't get any more creams/soaps until they run out! My wife has made it clear she doesn't want too many soaps/creams filling up the bathroom!

Jason.
I use a small cardboard box for items I don't use frequently and store it in the bedroom closet.

RASVRA DIEI MARTIS, XXVI OCTOBRIS, ANNO MMXXI
Razor: Toby Svizzera Adjustable
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (X3)
Brush: Jock medium by Executive Shaving Co.
Lather Bowl: Proraso
Shaving Balm: Nivea Men Aloe Vera
Aftershave: Brut ‘Ocean’ EDT
Rating: 9/10.

This evening I was a bit in a hurry, I didn’t have much time for a three-pass shave, I only managed two. But the result was satisfactory enough, I was very pleased with the result. The Shark Super Chrome blade works very well with my adjustable razor, the results are more than impressive!

Prep: Pears Glycerin Soap/ warm water rinse / Proraso White Pre-Shave
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar Synthetic
Soap: Razorock New York
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Razor: RazoRock 68P Game changer
Post: Osma Alum Block/ Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel/ Proraso Green After Shave

Rating: 9.9 A great mild shave on a rainy day.

I am preferring the RR GC 68P with an aggressive blade to the 86P with a mild blade.

shave_oct26.jpg

20210809_080632.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC .78
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten
vl8ncD72EnhoA.gif

I'm a bit behind so please forgive the long post.

Friday, October 22nd
Pre-shave: Warm water and soap
Lather: Stirling Gentleman
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable O2 (1969 Q2) on setting 5
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium, first use
Post-shave: Omega Alum Stick
Result: DFS+ or 9/10

My first shave with both the razor and the blade. I was surprised with how heavy and substantial the Super Adjustable is. If the handle was like 15% thicker it would be a contender for my favorite razor. I like it much more than my Slim. I'm honestly very impressed. It has a slightly head-heavy feel which made shaving with a light touch very easy. Sometimes it seems very hard to beat a good quality vintage razor. Definitely one you should try if you like vintage Gillettes and adjustable razors.

2021-10-22_Gillette_Super_Adj_Wizamet.resized.jpg

Sunday, October 24th
Lather: Proraso Red
Razor: Schick G4 "Schick 66" injector
Blade: Personna (new)
Result: DFS or 8/10

I have had my eye on this model since I discovered injectors. Mine isn't in the greatest shape. The finish isn't perfect and someone left a rusty blade in it for who knows how long. It cleaned up nicely however and I still think it's a great-looking little razor. Speaking of little, I wasn't prepared for how tiny this guy is. It's 3.5 inches (about 9cm) and fits in the palm of my hand. I put a new Personna blade in it and had a very nice shave. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it. It's much more aggressive than my other injectors, although not so much that it feels rough. I had a bit of post-shave irritation and it wasn't BBS, hence the 8/10 rating. I look forward to getting to know this little beauty better.

2021-10-24_Schick_G4_Personna.resized.jpg

Tuesday, October 26th
Lather: Stirling Sheep
Razor: Schick pre-Krona DE
Blade: Feather (new)
Result: DFS or 8.5/10

I have tried Feather blades numerous times over the past six months without any luck. I was reading the forum today and someone was discussing Feather blades so I decided it was time to try again. My new go-to razor is the Schick pre-Krona TTO DE so I loaded up a new Feather and gave it a try. While I can say that it was a better shave than I had previously achieved with a Feather blade, it still wasn't anything special. It was sharp and cut well but I didn't get a particularly close shave and I have some irritation along my jawline. Oh well. I will try again in a different razor to see if there isn't some combination that works for me.

2021-10-26_Schick_Krona_Feather.resized.jpg

Pre: Proraso cypress and vetyver
Brush: Craving Shaving Supervisor
Lather: Dr Jon’s Anne Bonny
Blade: Feather(3)
Razor: Heritage Gibbs replica
Rating: 9+

Anne Bonny is my favourite soap when it comes to scent, and it makes a great lather as well. The Gibbs replica by Heritage is petite but smooth. It was a great shave but I gotta say, Speick aftershave has ruined all others for me. Sure the scent is fleeting but the face feel is second to none. I do love smelling like Anne Bonny though!

View attachment 1352859

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower, two days growth​
Two pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: Merkur Progress Long Handle Model 510​
Blade: Derby Premium (1) (First Time Using!)
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Shavemac B&B 2021 Beagle Butterscotch - Silvertip 2-Band 22mm Fan​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent (Fragrance Free) Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm​
8.5/10

The shave was more of a late afternoon than my usual evening due to a reverse 24 hour shift tonight (2000 tonight to 2000 tomorrow night).

Today's shave was with the Windsor SSR plate and the Calypso handle. I used a Dorco Prime Platinum blade(2). With 2 + days growth and having read the recommendation for starting out riding the bar and then angling up a bit until I found the sweet spot that it was time to give the SSR another go.
My wife requested I use a classic scent combination tonight so I pulled out the Arko. I used the Arko for a bit of a preshave wash and then loaded up my Boreal boar brush off the puck and face lathered.
Excellent 2 pass shave, 1st WTG, 2nd XTG with a bit of an angled pass WTG on the neck the second time around.
No Nick's, no weepers and no sting with the Alum block. Finished off with Pinaud Clubman.

Incredible shave, 9/10.
PXL_20211026_201707243.jpg

I would LOVE to try the Tabac soap one day given the really good reviews it has had from various online sources.

Jason.
I just recently got the Tabac with tallow. It's my new favorite. I bought a puck of Tabac for the first time some months back and was so very disappointed. Everybody loved it, and I couldn't see why. It turned out it was the new formula. So the difference in formula makes a big difference. FragranceX and BeautyWays both have the tallow puck in the ceramic bowl for a little under $20, around $19.50. But before ordering from anywhere, e-mail and ask if the ingredients contain ingredients with "tallowate" in the name just to make sure. (These are U.S. sources.)

- Brush: Shavemac Beagle
- Razor: Wolfman WR2
- Blade: King C Gillette (2)
- Soap: B&M Cheshire
- Aftershave: B&M Cheshire
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent shave today after being in the woods for 4 days without shaving. The 1.35DC WR2 is such a good razor and KCG blades are excellent as well.

The Cheshire scent is nice but I wouldn’t label it as Earl Grey Tea. I get a bit of tea, but not a lot up front. Lathers like a champ with my Beagle though!

9.5/10

2F1A84D9-FC6F-4B90-8AC7-877E1826D2DE.jpeg

SOTD 10/26
Razor: Yates 921-Eh
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Grizzly Bay Bomb Pop
Soap: Razor Ruby Undead
Aftershave: Razor Ruby Splash

9.8/10 minor dock as I nicked the top of my lip under my mustache, not the razors fault. I'm not sure why I had the blade on my lip anyhow , not much to shave there.
20211026_205737.jpg

Proraso red soap
Omega boar brush
Gillette Fatboy razor
Dorco razor blade (13)
witch hazel
Bootlegger's Bay Rum aftershave

I shaved without the Proraso red pre-shave today to compare the red and the green soaps. The green leaves me with skin a bit tight. After a shave with the red, my skin is nice and supple, not tight or dry at all. I wasn't sure if it was the Proraso red pre-shave I always use with it or if the red soap alone would leave me with supple skin. Both contributed. The red soap must have some ingredient that causes skin to be better moisturized than after a shave with the green.

Two pass shave on the face. WTG, XTG, & ATG on the neck. I'll give it a score of 9.8/10.

Top Bottom