What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

FF10FB22-DD11-40F8-AAFD-A3E4359B8E02.jpeg

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: King C Gillette (2)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint
Aftershave: Proraso Green

9.5/10

Soap: Stirling British Leather
Razor: '79 U.K. Spiral Tech
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Omega 10077
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Nivea Sensitive balm

Quick 2 passer. I really feel like I've been trying to kill this Stirling sample forever at this point. Last time I used it I was like "finally, 1 more use left". Took it out this morning and there are at least 3 good uses left. I swear it's multiplying....

Funny enough I don't mind the scent anymore, and actually kind of like it now.

10/10. No cuts/irritation. Got a few bumps on the right side of my neck but that's par for the course when using DE over a straight for me.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Geo F Trumper Rose (sample cream)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- Astra SS (2)
- Semogue Torga C5 Boar

Fragrance for the day:
Penhaligons The Blazing Mr Sam

Shave Rating: 9/10
Second shave with an Astra SS today and even with an extra days growth it's still feeling very smooth and possibly a touch sharper.
It was also my first time using Geo F Trumper Rose cream. Performance wise it feels the same as Eucris, slightly about TOBS/D.R Harris but not quite as good as Truefitt and Hill. Scent wise it is a very pleasant rose scent.
Overall a very pleasant and close three pass shave. One tiny spot of irritation but it feels more like a spot that's been irritated so no fault on the blade.

Lupo.95,Nacet(1)MDC original,Simpsons Duke2,Thayers,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green pre/post.First time using MDC original and really like it lovely scent.Another easy BBS with this great razor one weeper on chin so that's a point off otherwise a lovely relaxing smooth shave.It's a 9/10 today.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210917_135904[1].jpg

9/17/21
Razor: Gillette New (LC) Bostonian (1930s)
Blade: PermaSharp Super
Brush: Omega 10104 Boar
Soap: Mike’s Hungarian Lavender
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

The Shave: First shave with my recently acquired New Bostonian. Super smooth and efficient. Based on base plate logo location it’s a New Long Comb.
WTG/ATG with XTG goatee touch up for a BBS shave.
The Omega 10104 is breaking in nicely: the knot had loosened up and it splays when loaded with lather. But there is still much work to be done to get it where I want.
Mike’s Hungarian Lavender and Skin Bracer work well together, providing great scents & performance.
Please don’t tell the SE September Gang I defected! I’ll sneak back in tomorrow and play it cool…let’s see if I get away with it.
9.5/10 one little weeper on jaw line that disappeared with Thayers.
C6E27E15-ACCF-45C3-8E03-B8B7A94CE4EE.jpeg
A8218835-EDE9-4731-BD5D-C7D0E19D73C8.jpeg
11227571-826C-4D7D-BF9C-21DEE2E59E04.jpeg
0B3C9B6C-C303-4ACE-89ED-78305DD080D4.jpeg

Razor: Rockwell 6S, Plate R6
Blade: King C Gillette (3)
Brush: Cremo Horse, 25mm
Bowl: Supply Marble

Lather :TOBS Mr Taylors

TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

Now I've used every Plate in this Rockwell 6S set. I think I like them all because I don't want the same shave every day but I have my best shaves mainly with R4.
Despite being very conscious of angles and pressure with the most aggressive Plate R6 I had one small weeper in the chin area that was rinsed away. Otherwise a smooth BBS finish. Post shave lotions were excellent.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Result: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Bourbon/Vanilla shave cream (brushless - tube - applied by hand)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Monte Carlo (Kaizen base)
Brush: AP Shave Co Emerald synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Black Ice/Black Licorice-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Lustray Spice splash (for Clubman Friday)

Excellent results...DFS/BBS with no blood. Ariana & Evans soap was pretty good for performance and slickness...pleasant scent. Have a good weekend, everyone.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A Kit 20210917.jpg

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Ethos Lavender
Brush
AP Shaving Tuxedo Syn.
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman SS SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Med Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
Boy did this week go fast. Friday’s shave is the 3rd use of the Ethos Lavender. Ethos could turn out to be my favorite artisan soap. It is one of the easiest soaps to lather. The AP shaving brush did a satisfactory job of making lather. The Wolfman – Med Prep combo did a fine job of cutting the whiskers. A nice, smooth BBS shave. A beautiful day today. Have a great weekend, B&Bers.

Friday's shave, very close and very smooth; two passes, plus clean up, 10-/10, DFS+, no weepers, no irritation, and just a tiny spot I missed:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's razor- two-dot head
Blade: Feather Pro AC (3)- sharp and smooth
Brush: Simpson PJ3in Best- new- what a lovely bigger brush, very soft and luxurious; picked it up on the Alrossa/Amazon deal that some you enablers posted about <$90; this will be a great bowl brush when I get back to Reno
Soap: Mogno shave bar- great lather led to a great shave
Post-shave: cold rinse, then Pinaud Clubman AS for Friday and some Clubman talc
Have a great weekend!

PXL_20210917_134904978.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Schick E2 (Pebbled Finish)
Blade: Personna Precision - Hollow Ground - 1950’s (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria - Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: HK&C - Beyond the Void: Gadabout
Aftershave: Stirling - Tea Tree (Splash)
EDP: Mandarina Duck - Black Extreme
View attachment 1329173
Shave Rating. 9.5/10
Personna Precision not so precise
A couple of shaves ago I used this vintage Personna injector blade in my Schick L6 Easy Rider and found it smooth, but so mild I really had to work to get cleaned up. @Whiterook assured me that the L6 was one of the mildest Schicks, so I removed the blade and installed it in a more aggressive E2.
I could feel the blade moving over my whiskers and knew going for a BBS would be asking for a case of razor burn in spite of the excellent HK&C lather.
I’ve already injected the blade into the blade bank. To be fair, this blade came out of a beat up, opened, 70 year old injector case with just a couple blades left.
View attachment 1329179
For all I know, the last person using it may have inserted his used blades with 10 shaves already on them back into the injector for discarding. You never know what your dealing with when trying out opened stock.
I also can’t find any mention of these particular blades, so maybe they weren’t the cats meow to start with.

Today was sample day so I tried out this HK&C (HENDRIX CLASSICS & CO.) soap. Not much of a scent, but a super creamy lather that would have @Chard52142 turning his brushes into Dairy Queens.
As I mentioned before, I’m really appreciating the effect tea tree is having on my skin. I know it smells medicinal, but that disappears as soon as it absorbs.
The Henri et Victoria brush was my very first synthetic and still remains one of my very favorites.
Very nice razor and interesting tale...especially love the diary queen part... 😝

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (1)
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Zenith 506A Manchurian Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.95/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with no touch ups. One weeper, no cuts or irritation. Very nice shave overall. Weeper my fault for over buffing on chin. To simplify flipping the blade I have put a mark on one side of the blade with a Sharpie. So far so good and it hasn't rinsed off. Already have flipped blade for the next shave.

My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Karve Brass Christopher Bradley. 3-1/2" Handle, SB-D​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar - 24mm Plisson​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
10/10! DFS! No irritation! No nicks!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, SEptember 17th, 2021

Razor: Yaqi 50mm AC,V1 Excalibur- Mfg 2021> great tame mid range, great results, mostly carefree shaving and enjoyable.
Blade: China Blue blade 50mm(3), I received these blades with my Shavette, Sharp & smooth but longevity iffy IMO(testing).
Soap: Williams Mug soap- great soap if you apply the lather pastier or thicker and add very little water, to much water you will find it not that good a lather. Once you know what to look for it is a great soap. Nice lemony scent with good slickness protection.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot, with black marble acrylic handle, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips + great lather painter.
Pre shave: (Cashmere 24mm syn, 720+ shaves)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on clean beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm.(Great stuff, scentless)
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper= :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi V1 Excalibur razor with a blue blade.

Brush collage  Sep 17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20210916_083957.jpg

Razor: Schick L1 Green Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. Nice BBS shave!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210917_123936.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Friday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: no date fat-handle Tech
Blade: Perma-Sharp, #3
Soap: Cella
Brush: Ever Ready reknotted 150, TGN 24mm silvertip
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by The Cella A/S splash

DFS, 9.0 / 10

Perma-Sharp blade is excellent, but I've decided it's not GSB equivalent nor will it topple my beloved 7 O'Clock balcks. Great blade, nonetheless, thank you, @Atlantic59 for recommending them to me.

Cella, what can I say? Modified Marco method, love their after shave, the only thing that might have made it better was if it was a holiday and I could have had a martini with my shave.

While I like the 1940's SS TTO I tried the other day, I think the Tech is going to trounce all the TTO's in terms of shave. Maneuverability, sleekness (ability to get anywhere at desired angle), blade rigidity, so many factors make the Tech superior in my opinion.

I'm still making my lathers a bit wetter than I used to, both because of my SR shaving brothers' comments and my experience with B&M. Although it's satisfying to make Cella lather as dense as Gillette Foamy out of a can, and for taking pictures of lather for the magazines--the best shave with it is a bit more hydrated. Still learning after over 10 years! :D

2021-09-17_shave.jpg

Top Bottom