What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Canadian Prewar Tech
Blade: GSB

Soap: Uncle Jon’s Pipe Smoke
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Cologne: Stirling Harverford EDT

BBS

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.15
Blade: Wizzy IS
Soap: PAA Oubliette
Brush: M&F 2xL Blonde Badger
AS: PAA Oubliette

9 out of 10. Dare I say the 1.15 might rival my 1.25 for attention.

IMG_2931.jpg

Prep: Hot water rinse / Proraso White Pre-Shave
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Blade: Derby Green (1)
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant
Post: Alum Block/ Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel/ Gillette After Shave Gel

Rating: 8/10 Two weepers and some burn. My first time using a slant and having shaved just 24 hours ago I knew I was asking for trouble.

I couldn't wait to try out my brand new rose/gold slant and finally mow down that troublesome stubble farm at the base of my neck. The farm is still there and with some fresh razor burn. I was hoping it would work as well as my Muhle R41 on it.
shave9_04_21.jpg
shave9_04b_21.jpg

I'd be interested to know i've been thinking of going crazy and getting the Fougere it's £44 her in the UK for 200g i believe about $60.There's so many mixed reviews some saying it dries your face out.I'd love to know if it's slick enough.I've heard it lasts a long time so if if it's really good i might just go for it.Can't wait to hear your thoughts.Have a good day.

I’ll make sure to post my thoughts here when I get to the Fougere sample in the next few weeks (end of month at the latest) as the weather turns to 8 months of winter instead of fall soon, want to get my final shaves out of my warm weather rotation.

I found the first pass to be dry but like I said in my post, that was due to me using too much soap as it was my first time using MdC, not the soaps fault. It didn’t cause any issues on the first pass and I added water between passes. I was surprised at how dense and protective the lather was yet it was slick as oil after I added more water after the first pass. I used the Silver Star blade on a 5th use, which was its last use and was debating tossing it prior to the shave, and with the slickness on the third pass, I could buff to my hearts desire and had zero irritation or feedback with the alum.

I will say this about drying out the face, I have very dry skin so usually use an unscented balm after my splash except for when I use Murphy and McNeil Kodiak base and didn’t use balm yesterday as my face felt very supple and luxurious, like I had already added the balm. Before I went to bed and when I woke up this morning, my face still felt the same. I’m quite impressed and will give it a few more shaves to make sure my impressions are the same but I’m confident in saying I’ll be adding some MdC to my den for sure. With the performance I experienced and how little I needed for a ton of lather, it’s worth the price tag.

Edit:
Since you are in the UK, maybe try getting some samples of MdC from Shavedash in Scotland, that’s where I got mine. He’s closed for vacation until the 14th, but you can try after that

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210904_110715_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch Lemondrop (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: EJ89
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Beagle
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Stirling Duke

Very happy with todays shave, albeit a little irritation after the ATG pass. Going to finally dive into adding in an ATG pass to get good at it, at least for a little while. It's always been something I've avoided (after trying quite a bit in the past). Still a better result than my past attempts, and managed not to hack up my problem area.

9/10.

Pre-shave: Hot water wash and rinse
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Parker Adjustable Injector v2
Blade: Schick (Chinese) (2)
Rating: 6

I'm having a hell of a time getting a good shave out of this razor. I can't exactly say why other than I haven't quite gotten the angle right because there is so little blade feel. Cheeks are ok but my neck is a mess. I had several cuts. Overall it's been a struggle but I'm stubborn enough to keep trying. I also have another injector on the way so I can check it's me and not the razor. I fully expect the Parker is fine and it's just me being (really) slow on the uptake.

I'd be interested to know i've been thinking of going crazy and getting the Fougere it's £44 her in the UK for 200g i believe about $60.There's so many mixed reviews some saying it dries your face out.I'd love to know if it's slick enough.I've heard it lasts a long time so if if it's really good i might just go for it.Can't wait to hear your thoughts.Have a good day.
I always think what could be better than tallowed Tabac.
I’ll make sure to post my thoughts here when I get to the Fougere sample in the next few weeks (end of month at the latest) as the weather turns to 8 months of winter instead of fall soon, want to get my final shaves out of my warm weather rotation.

I found the first pass to be dry but like I said in my post, that was due to me using too much soap as it was my first time using MdC, not the soaps fault. It didn’t cause any issues on the first pass and I added water between passes. I was surprised at how dense and protective the lather was yet it was slick as oil after I added more water after the first pass. I used the Silver Star blade on a 5th use, which was its last use and was debating tossing it prior to the shave, and with the slickness on the third pass, I could buff to my hearts desire and had zero irritation or feedback with the alum.

I will say this about drying out the face, I have very dry skin so usually use an unscented balm after my splash except for when I use Murphy and McNeil Kodiak base and didn’t use balm yesterday as my face felt very supple and luxurious, like I had already added the balm. Before I went to bed and when I woke up this morning, my face still felt the same. I’m quite impressed and will give it a few more shaves to make sure my impressions are the same but I’m confident in saying I’ll be adding some MdC to my den for sure. With the performance I experienced and how little I needed for a ton of lather, it’s worth the price tag.

Edit:
Since you are in the UK, maybe try getting some samples of MdC from Shavedash in Scotland, that’s where I got mine. He’s closed for vacation until the 14th, but you can try after that
Do you know what mate i'm going to stick with tallow Tabac.Nothing gets better.:pipe:

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot Campiono 309 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​
10/10! DFS! BBS!

Lovely new Blackbird, @SgtCrppls!

Back to killing off my Stirling samples. One left. Rule is, if I shave with a Stirling, it has to be the sample. Until it's gone. Other soaps are fair game. I shouldn't have more than four or five days left...
tempImage5fFX0c.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Stirling Island Man
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (1) -- a little sharper and less comfortable than the green wrapper ("Super Stainless")
Razor: Blackbird SS OC machined finish 101mm

This yellow 7 O'Clock felt a little "overeager" so I backed off on the total effort, skipping ATG on the mustache, and focusing the touchup pass mainly on the jawline and neck. Results were a really nice DFS+ with no blood. A little extra aftershave feedback though. Rating 9/10.

"He timely put the razor away, and lived to shave another day."

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you

04 September 2021
View attachment 1322423

Prep:
Spice Bar soap
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb—China & Germany
Cream:
Old Spice Original—India Until it is used up
Blade:
ASCO—Egypt Shave #3 and out / good hint of dulling
Brush:
Gray Dog—Ohio
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
9.0 CCS
Comments:
A good shave, but lots of stubble, however no nicks or weepers.

Taking the LOTH to the Shen Yun performance today and then out for an Italian dinner. We celebrated our 44th Anniversary yesterday. I still can’t believe she has put up with me for 43 of the 44 years. She couldn’t go to Iraq with me during my civilian tour June 2008 through late May 2009.
Happy Anniversary 🥳

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Gillette King C Gillette (5)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm V10 Fanchurian (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Noble Otter Rawr
Rating: 10/10
Great shave today, BBS with no cuts, weepers or irritation. I love Rawr, fun set and one of my favourite scents.

3F7CACA6-DAC0-431A-9454-F0C03870951A.jpeg

Sun 5 SR 60th SOTD
Soap Stirling Mountain Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor P Hospital Le Grelot Thiers
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Another excellent lather from the soap. The scent was nice too.
Reached 60th SR shave with this razor. Enjoyable 3passes for a ccs to sas result. Some redness irritation on the neck that passed after 30mins but otherwise was ok. Aftershaves were great. Rating 9/10
20210905_125418.jpg

Proraso green shaving soap
Parker silver tip badger brush
Ralf Aust Spanish point straight razor
witch hazel

Gillette aftershave gel

A little luxury tonight. I lathered up then put the warm washcloth over my face until the water cooled. That always feels nice. After I had wiped the lather off my face with the washcloth, the air felt cool and breezy as I walked from the bedroom back to the bathroom. Love that hint of menthol.

Lathered up again and did a two pass shave with the SR. Everything north to south first, then south to north on the neck, then east-west on the cheeks and the top lip. After that, instead of a full third pass ATG, I felt around to get the roughest feeling areas. I also did the master/fool’s pass under the nose.

I’ll give this shave a 9/10. If I had gone ATG (south to north) on the cheeks, it would have been near BBS perfect. I don’t usually do multiple passes or too much clean up with a straight razor. Normally, I will just do one pass+an XTG pass on the neck, and that suffices quite well. I just felt like practicing the other passes tonight.

A 60-hour beard today after the irritation of last Thursday -- and what a difference 2.5 days and a new blade can make!

Merkur Progress/new Personna Red blade

Proraso Green cream

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Pre-shower, Lilac Vegetal AS; post-shower, generic skin lotion, Fine Green Vetiver, generic baby powder

After the irritation of my throat last week, I skipped shaving to let my skin heal, 60 hours. This morning, I began with a quick face wash with bar soap, applied some Proraso, then loaded the brush and face-lathered. I made sure to wait my regulation 3 minutes to let the cream soak in. Then, with the Merkur at 4.5, I began. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, ATG; pass 3, XTG and cleanup. No skin stretching this time out. After the shower I used products that have always worked for me, and I have no irritation. Stirling's Bay Rum and Citron Honey & Coriander, well, maybe I'll try them some other time. A remarkably clean-feeling face and throat.

Verdict: 9.7.

Sunday morning.

Vintage John Blyde (Sheffield) 5/8 French point straight razor
Edwin Jagger silvertip / faux horn brush
Fredrickssons Kaffir Lime and Juniper soap
Vintage (1980s) Yardley Gold Classic (black stopper) aftershave

An online bargain at about £25, this one. It's cleaned up nicely and taken a reasonable edge, but I might be able to go better (it had a run on my SW/SW (seatbelt webbing + Silverline white) refresher strop after the shave today, so we'll see next time whether that's made an improvement).

The brush and soap gave proceedings an air of luxury, and the aftershave seemed right - there's still most of a bottle left of this one.

I didn't get quite as close under the nose as I could have done - I'm not sure whether that was me wondering about the edge or the couple of glasses of Captain Morgan I put away at the end of yesterday evening. Let's call it an "8".

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Personna Blue Lab (1)
Brush: SOC Boar, 24mm
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Haslinger Ringelblumen Shaving Soap

Proraso Green Aftershave Splash

A great, pleasant shaving experience. The lather provided good slickness and protection. It's marigold scent was welcome as always. The new Personna Blue Lab with the Merkur 34G was excellent.
I planned to use the pictured Dickinson's Witch Hazel but the Thayer's Rose is almost gone and I thought this would finish it. Now I have 1/2 use left. The Proraso Green is my most used aftershave. I think of it as my "If I were on a deserted island " aftershave.
BBS. No nicks or weepers or razor burn.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom