What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Absolutely fantastic head shave 10/10

Head shave
PAA Ice cube
PAA hotel cecil soap
PAA doppelganger gold label AS

Rex ambassador
Willys blade (1st)
Captains choice copper bowl
PAA aerolite phantom brush

- Fayiz D.
proxy.php

Soap/Cream: Tabac (glass jar puck)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock SE (Yellow) (7th)
AS: cold rinse; Tabac AS.

2 passes (WTG/ATG), excellent shave, at least a CCS.

9/10 for me

I just posted a question on my diary thread. But I should've posted it here: a lot more traffic, so a bigger chance someone seeing it.
I hope I'm not offending some forum rule repeating that piece:
I was wondering this morning. Tabac isn't the cheapest of soaps (not the most exclusive either), but it wears out so slow. Has anyone tried to calculate a 'cost per shave - comparison' between different soaps, croaps and creams? Probably yes. Not that it would have any impact on my behaviour. I'm just a notoriously curious man.

24-hour beard today:

Merkur Progress, 2nd time this week, w/ Personna Red blade (2)

TOBS Peppermint cream

Semogue boar brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Post workout, a quick face wash with Dial soap while the brush soaked; then I loaded the damp brush with TOBS and face-lathered. Since it was a 24-hour beard, I left the Merkur at its mildest setting (2 on my razor). Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG and XTG; done. Not BBS, but clean-looking and smooth, no irritation.

Verdict: 9.4.

. . .
I was wondering this morning. Tabac isn't the cheapest of soaps (not the most exclusive either), but it wears out so slow. Has anyone tried to calculate a 'cost per shave - comparison' between different soaps, croaps and creams? Probably yes. Not that it would have any impact on my behaviour. I'm just a notoriously curious man.
I'm not using the puck, but the stick. But you're right; after a year of use (not anywhere near daily, though), my stick still has an enormous amount of product left. And the stick itself was not expensive to begin with. If I used nothing but Tabac, no doubt I would proclaim it a champ in the shaves per package category.

“Weather the storms!”
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B Group Buy Finest Badger
Soap: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Lather: Scuttle
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter

The Shave: My Anniversary shave for my wife. W/X/A for BBS. Warm scuttle lather with the Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter menthol and scent was spectacular. Through 21 years of marriage there have been “storms” but we’ve always been each other’s safe harbor.
Have a great day, take the time to remember something great and smile! 10/10 as much for the shave results as what it signifies.
1487DEE6-1C80-486D-BBE3-8A8D380431F5.jpeg
ACEF8C6A-193A-45B7-9D6F-3CAE82C1A22A.jpeg
0C16D3F2-323B-4119-9060-AA2A7F50F8F2.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: TOBS St. James cream
Brush: Je & Co Tuxedo synthetic (Night Sky)
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Old Spice Fresh Lime

Another outstanding result with this razor/blade combination...DFS/BBS with no blood or injuries. This is getting too easy. Thank you. RazoRock Lupo. The TOBS St. James cream is almost gone...one or two more uses at most. I really like the subtle citrus (naval oranges) scent. Will probably hold off from getting it again as I just recently picked up their Lime Zest and Rose shave creams. I'll be working on whittling down the TOBS Grapefruit I've had for a while. The Old Spice Fresh Lime is a very interesting product. It screams, "Use me in a Bootlegger's mix!" Hmmmm...

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210513.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
“Weather the storms!”
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B Group Buy Finest Badger
Soap: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Lather: Scuttle
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter

The Shave: My Anniversary shave for my wife. W/X/A for BBS. Warm scuttle lather with the Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter menthol and scent was spectacular. Through 21 years of marriage there have been “storms” but we’ve always been each other’s safe harbor.
Have a great day, take the time to remember something great and smile! 10/10 as much for the shave results as what it signifies.
View attachment 1265931View attachment 1265932View attachment 1265933

Congratulations on your anniversary! God Bless.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Tabac
Brush
Zenith Manchurian
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Gillette Red Tip
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Coming to the end of this fine soap. Only about a week’s shave left. The Zenith had no trouble making some good lather. A fine shave to start a beautiful day.

13 May 2021
20210513_065803.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S √
Van der Hagen
Cream For The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia – Italy √
Old Spice Original –India
Old Spice Musk – India
Proraso Green –Italy
Brushes For The Shave:
Omega 11126 -- Today’s shave
Gray Dog -- Old Spice Bar soap prep
Blade For The Shave:
Bolzano Superinox Shave #5 and out
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum rub downs.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?
Summary:
Rating: 8.5
Quality: CCS
Results: Lots of light stubble, but no nicks or weepers.
Info: Blade left light stubble and had a dragging sensation. Off to a Shark tomorrow. Used last of rain water for Prep and shaving. Oops, dice show wrong number.

Thursday's shave, going to the Prospect Park Zoo with the little ones today, two-pass shave with some clean up, 8/10, one tiny chin nick. Not a great shave, but okay, and there's tomorrow:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head- seems the best option for me for an easy, close shave
Blade: Feather AC Pro (7)- definitely dulling, ergo the nick
Brush: Omega small boar- scrubby, but definitely not on the recommend list; I won't be mailing this one back west.
Soap: The Blades Grim Smolder- nice scent, okay lather, and decent face feel. Not a great soap, but useable. Small tin; perhaps it would perform better if I put it in a more accessible container.
Post-shave: cold rinse, styptic touch, then a big splash of Proraso Green AS splash

Have a wonderful day!
PXL_20210513_131449060.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Parker Premium Platinum (1)
Brush: Omega Bononcini Boar,25mm

Soap: Huntlee Master Lather,Sweet Tobacco

Old Spice Aftershave splash

Parker Variant set on 2 did a great job. I could have stopped at two passes but the shave was so good I went for a third pass and a touch-up.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Felt a little nostalgic this morning

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Schick M2 Adjustable on 6
Blade: Schick "Chick"
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans Kaizen
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Brush: Simpson's TT Isle of Man Synthetic
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, A&E Kaizen
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Mindless Shave.

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch hazel / Osage Rub

Great shave. A bit harsh with the aftershave, but the edge did not feel rough which was sort of strange. I did refresh the edge 2 shaves ago, so we shall see if things smooth out, or if I need to go back to the finishing stone. Great end result though. Did not feel the need to do any touching up after the last pass.

9/10. 1 chin weeper that survived final rinse, and defied the styptic pencil. I respected the defiance and let it live.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
On another thread there is a poll about how long people load MdC. So I timed it...three seconds (six quick turns) on a half year old but still nearly full puck of MdC Fougere with a Kent BK4. This provided more than ample and pretty darned perfect lather for three passes with plenty left over. I took three passes with a GSB (5) in an ATT CM1 and used 4711 cologne as aftershave. 10

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Cyril R. Salter Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'Occitane Cade After-Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C Razor
- Gillette Platinum (White)(2)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 9/10
Excellent shave today using Cyril R. Salter Shaving Soap (Tallow formula 70g puck) for the first time. It has a very pleasant and light (not subtle) lavender scent and it produces a nice slick, thick and cushioned lather. It's residual slickness and post-shave feel were also good. It set me back a whole £3.90 for the puck from Connaught and it definitely punches above its price range (same formula as DR Harris soap but less than half the price)!
Today was my first time using the Cade Balm as well, different texture and thickness than the L'Occitane "Cream Gels" I used before which I wasn't expecting and it feels a bit more soothing. The Cade scent is also very nice.
It was also my second shave with a Gillette Platinum (white) today. This shave felt a lot like shave 2 with the King C blade I used last week, it was sharper than on shave 1 and also felt a touch smoother.
Overall a very pleasant, close, irriation free shave with no feedback from the Alum block.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, May13th 2021

Razor: TNNSER(@twhite razor) 3D printed- excellent mid range, light weight, I always receive great shaves with no drama.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandle wood- nice scent great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm tuxedo knot - excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + no pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + Sandalwood(some clove) :001_wub: + Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS +no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my TNNSER 3D printed razor + a Gem coated blade.

SE SOTD, May13th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times! (Looks like light at the end of the tunnel!)

Top Bottom