What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

That even when I'm trying to be very careful, Ralf will still bite. I don't think it likes me. :)
Secondly, it seems to think my left cheek tastes better. Today it bit me at the cheek bone. Previously it bit me near the ear and on the jaw line. So apparently, it's not picky on which cut of meat it wants.

I thought about trying my right hand on my left side. Seems awkward to me, but I've read that some of you use your dominant hand for the whole or majority of the shave. Maybe Ralf on my left side but in my right hand won't be as hungry.

On shave number 85 I discovered that I can tell when the razor is going to bite me and back off accordingly. I put the razor up to my face and line it up for the stroke and start sweeping and I could tell that if I went any further there would be blood, so I stopped, rinsed the soap off and started on the stroke again, this time doing it correctly.

I guess I am learning angle, pressure etc etc. or, refining what I have learnt. It happened twice over the weekend and seems to be a learning moment.

cheers
Andrew

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Before shaving this morning, I decided that I would try and shave with as little pressure as possible. I did (with IOVIS from my Latin M7DS) and achieved one of the best shaves that I have had in a long time.

I am putting this result down to:
  • Over time I think that I subconsciously gradually increase pressure while shaving. The increase is so ever slight that I never notice it.
  • I was even more focused on my technique by concentrating more on using almost no pressure.
I'll keep concentrating on no pressure for a few more shaves to get me back to where I should be.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
How much I enjoy using my Gold Dollar now that I’ve replaced those cheap scales. The steel is decent and it keeps a good edge. I just like the heft of it. Good value really.
I have the same dislike for the Gold Dollars with the plastic scales. For me the plastic scales throw the razor's centre of gravity way out of my comfort zone. Have yet to learn about replacing scales.

Been shaving lately in my dressing gown. Down here in Sydney is has been so bloody cold in the mornings that shaving in my boxers just isn't an option. I do have a little fan heater go but it's still brass monkey weather. So I have been shaving in my dressing gown and it has long, loose sleeves and they are a right pain for shaving with a straight as you (well me anyway) continually have my hands above ear height, both stretching skin and making strokes. The sleeves get in the way and are annoying. Can't wait for spring and warmer weather - for shaving anyway, I don't like the heat so much these days.

Not to mention the soap getting splashed around the country side and all over my dressing gown!

cheers
Andrew

Today I re-learned to not force myself through a shave with a just OK blade. Either more stropping or a few minutes on one of my handy hones I keep by the sink can make the shave improve without having to swap to DE. Using my torrey razor again after a hiatus, I just seem to have not been successful in keeping it dialed in. Only get a handful of shaves before it starts dragging. Probably will completely reset the edge soon but this morning 20 strokes on my swaty did the trick.

Before shaving this morning, I decided that I would try and shave with as little pressure as possible. I did (with IOVIS from my Latin M7DS) and achieved one of the best shaves that I have had in a long time.

I am putting this result down to:
  • Over time I think that I subconsciously gradually increase pressure while shaving. The increase is so ever slight that I never notice it.
  • I was even more focused on my technique by concentrating more on using almost no pressure.
I'll keep concentrating on no pressure for a few more shaves to get me back to where I should be.
I agree. A light touch will accomplish more than a heavy hand. And I find it more relaxing.

Been shaving lately in my dressing gown. Down here in Sydney is has been so bloody cold in the mornings that shaving in my boxers just isn't an option. I do have a little fan heater go but it's still brass monkey weather. So I have been shaving in my dressing gown and it has long, loose sleeves and they are a right pain for shaving with a straight as you (well me anyway) continually have my hands above ear height, both stretching skin and making strokes. The sleeves get in the way and are annoying. Can't wait for spring and warmer weather - for shaving anyway, I don't like the heat so much these days.

Not to mention the soap getting splashed around the country side and all over my dressing gown!

cheers
Andrew
I can picture reaching over the head to stretch the skin and the loose sleeve covering your face. It could be a Mr. Bean skit.

Putting a new razor into your collection is a bit of a process. After the initial honing it takes a few shaves to tune the blade and find the right finisher for that particular razor. It’s only after a few shave / touch up cycles that the edge really starts to sing and truly become your own.

My lesson today was complicated.

I have two razors of very similar geometry. Both are approximately 8/8. One of them, I never cut myself with. The other, I seemed to cut myself with all the time. I thought it might be the steel -- one is 52100 (a Butch Harner), the other is CPM M4 (a custom). It's the 52100 that I don't cut myself with. Finally I tried shaving half my face with the 52100 (cut myself), and the other half with the CPM M4 (no cuts). Turned out the problem was that the 52100 sticks to my skin, and the CPM M4 is really slippery.

Of course that was not the end of it. I thought: why does the 52100 stick? Maybe it's the semi mirror finish.

At first, I thought I would put a really good mirror on both sides. I apologize in advance for the analogy I'm about to use.

I remembered that in a kitchen knife forum, when people popped their head up and said they were going to put a mirror finish on their knife, the wise old heads would caution them. Turns out that a mirror is really good at suction-sticking to flesh, so the food release is bad. What you want is a rougher finish, satin (aka 600 grit) for normal people, and kasumi (not going to explain that rabbit hole) for the knife/JNat geeks.

So I put a satin finish on one side, and did my best to mirror up the other side, maxing out at 800 grit.

I have never mastered the art of applying sandpaper to a razor without messing up the blade, so I needed to re-hone.

Then, I shaved. What was the verdict? Both sides were equally excellent, no cuts.

It turns out I have a bad habit of getting a new (to me) razor, doing the bare minimum on the stones and strops, and shaving with it, "to see how it does." That's not so bad; what is bad is that I forget I did that and wonder why the razor is less good than my other razors.

All I needed was to put my edge on the razor (ok, it's partly Slash McCoy's edge, because the last steps are pasted balsa), and all was well.

I have two near wedges SRs in my current rotation. I like near wedges. Love the sound when I shave. So different from a full hollow ground.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning was my first shave for the week that I will exclusively use my Revisor 6-0035. I really concentrated on nil pressure and blade angle. Result was very good. A DFS+ result with just the faintest of burn with my aftershave. I still hope for more improvement as the week progresses. I would like this SR to be one of my preferred.

Top Bottom