What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I learned that having a perfect edge on a blade is heaven to shave with. I was so happy with my Lunae razor this morning that it passed the FPT with ease.

I have to keep a note on my phone so I can remember where I am at with each one. I'm only up to around 18 razors........

I dont see how you guys with the massive collections and drawers full manage this.....unless your doing something similar.

camo

loving this database app, super easy to use. Let me know if you are interested

I learned that I can......and should.......use less water with Chiseled Face soaps. lather was spot on this morn.

camo

as technique improves you might possibly get by using less water during the lather building process, more so if an everyday shaver.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
as technique improves you might possibly get by using less water during the lather building process, more so if an everyday shaver.

camo
Does it give a better shave or are you just trying to conserve water? Serious question.

Does it give a better shave or are you just trying to conserve water? Serious question.

a little more........and I hate to use these terms......."cushion" which to me adds a little measurable comfort.

im talking about slightly less water. I also highly suspect this varies with what maker of soap I'm using.

I've verified two makers in my soap collection that I benefit from this. Chiseled Face and Caswell-Massey.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
a little more........and I hate to use these terms......."cushion" which to me adds a little measurable comfort.

im talking about slightly less water. I also highly suspect this varies with what maker of soap I'm using.

I've verified two makers in my soap collection that I benefit from this. Chiseled Face and Caswell-Massey.

camo
Thanks. My available soaps are rather limited to Proraso green cream, Sanofi cream (Australian), Palmolive stick and Nivea Sensitive cream. I started using a rather wet lathers a while ago. I expect my technique has improved somewhat since then so will give a little less water a go.

add proraso to the less water list.

I honestly did not prefer this soap for DE or SE shaving........

pleasantly surprised for the SR. creamy and slick without the soapy sticky grab that i remember with the other razors.

but then again I shaved with a massive axe this morn (which I love btw.....)

good stuff.

camo

spanish blades are nice.......

im no longer going to doubt my own honing ability again. its a liberating feeling to know that I wont have to ever send a razor off to a hone professional. not that there is anything wrong with those that do, but I like collecting too much to have that added expense. by my calculation, that has already saved me around $400.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Coticule edges significantly reduce/eliminate weepers and can be used for buffing difficult areas.
I saw that in someone’s signature...

Coticule edges don't give me weepers.
I'm not sure if it's technique or edge finish, but I have also never had any weepers from a diamond pasted balsa strop edge. I do get the odd nick at times when my concentration wonders while shaving, particularly when shaving with one of my Spanish points

I'm not sure if it's technique or edge finish, but I have also never had any weepers from a diamond pasted balsa strop edge. I do get the odd nick at times when my concentration wonders while shaving, particularly when shaving with one of my Spanish points
Not all skin is created equal. Diamond edges give me weepers, coti's don't. CBN is somewhere in between. This is what I learnt :)

Last edited:
I now like thicker lather for shaves.

maybe because my skillset is improving and i find less the need for ice rink slickness???

dont know.....either way have been experiencing comfortable shaves lately and can feel soap properties better now not being diluted as much!!!!

camo

Camo,

let me take a stab at refining what you said above as thicker could be interpreted as volume.

Dense, high sheen, low volume, little to no large bubbles, doesnt stick to blade after rinse, but doesn’t slide off it easily either without a rinse. Is that right?

Top Bottom