What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Tried a minimal prep (hot water splash), two-pass (WTG, ATG) shave today. Acceptable results but I felt cheated by not getting more shaving time. I also discovered that my three-pass norm may be covering some deficiencies in my technique.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I also discovered that my three-pass norm may be covering some deficiencies in my technique.
I agree. With good technique a two-pass SR shave WTG and ATG give me a BBS shave. I don't want that because then I have little to shave the following morning. I aim for a DFS with two passes, WTG and XTG. That gives me something to shave 24 hours later.

If I'm going to say the opera or ballet in the evening (not likely with our current quarantine restrictions) I'll do an evening shave WTG only - just to keep things clean.

experimented with a new skin stretch this morn to help clear the rearward jawline.

seemed to improve results but the jury is still out on this.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
experimented with a new skin stretch this morn to help clear the rearward jawline.

seemed to improve results but the jury is still out on this.

camo
Are you going to tell us what this new skin stretch was or is it your little secret?

Are you going to tell us what this new skin stretch was or is it your little secret?

well I have odd directional growth on the back curve of the jawline.

mid cheek stretch or pull is from southwest to northeast (diagonal stretch) on the left side. mirror opposite for the right side. I use right hand (razor hold) for the left side and left hand for the right side. all of these stretches are opposite of hair growth direction.

camo

There is a critical mass of lather required for bowl lathering. It’s almost impossible to make a little bit of lather well. Once you get a good volume of lather going you start getting flow through on the brush and the lather really starts to build on itself. Load heavily for best results.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Variety is the spice of .... straight razor shaving. And yes I learned that I can get more than 150 shaves from a Filly 14 Sub Cero edge. I thought that I’d wear that edge out pretty quickly past 100 shaves, but I learn4d that it’s worn me out. As nice as shaving with a Filly 14 is, I want to shave with my other razors for a while.

I am an oddball.

I like all different sizes of razors and grinds.......although I've not tried a wedge or near wedge yet.

I find that each size has its own advantages and disadvantages.

camo

This morning I learned to always fill a bucket up with water the night before for when there is no water available in the morning.

Now all I can do is wait for the Filipinos to "fix" things.

In the place I lived in India for a couple of years, there was a single water tank that they filled for 2-3 rented dwellings. But what everyone ended up doing was leaving their taps open with buckets underneath at night, so as to collect as much water as possible when they filled the tank in the morning (you'd still have to wake up, because you'd want to change over the buckets - we generally collected about 3 buckets or so). So even though in theory we had 'running' water, in practice it was always 'bucket' water.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learnt that my Iovis SR need a little more respect when shaving XTG on my rear jaw line. First time I've needed the alam in a couple of months.

Interesting. I have always tried to stretch pulling away from the spine, irrespective of the whisker growth direction.

As an example, on my cheeks where the whisker growth is vertically down, I would stretch by pulling up when shaving WTG and stretch by pulling down when shaving ATG. What you are suggesting is that I stretch by pulling up for both WTG and ATG.

Is that correct?

I only stretch ATG,
that's where yous guys techniques intersect.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Ive come to realize that even though different razors can be super sharp and cut Whiskers effortlessly, they still respond differently to the way lather is made and layered on the skin.

One straight razor can leave a super smooth path after a swipe, but I cannot go for a second swipe immediately after the first, as the lather will be completely gone and the skin sticky/tacky.

But with a different SR, it’ll leave a clean field after the first swipe...but I’ll be able to get a second swipe without reapplying lather.

With one razor it works better with a satiny, less moist, lather.

With another, it may work better with a lather that is less viscous, and holding more moisture.

Maybe it’s the SR steel. Maybe it’s the type of edge itself. Maybe it’s how I honed it. Maybe it’s how I stropped it.

I dunno.

But I do know that they both “popped” the tree tops off my arm hair before starting.

One of the things I’ve noticed/learned.

Past results are not a guarantee of future performance.

Whenever I get a 10/10 shave, I use the same set up the next day. I jump in full of confidence with quick deliberate strokes already celebrating the end result to come. Sooner or later I usually become unstuck. Only a 9.5 today...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Past results are not a guarantee of future performance.

Whenever I get a 10/10 shave, I use the same set up the next day. I jump in full of confidence with quick deliberate strokes already celebrating the end result to come. Sooner or later I usually become unstuck. Only a 9.5 today...
Over confidence leads to lack of concentration. Then the edge will let you know. The same happened to me a few days ago - first time in a few months.

Over confidence leads to lack of concentration. Then the edge will let you know. The same happened to me a few days ago - first time in a few months.
My three year old is my harshest critic. Every morning she checks my shave and this morning she “felt a whisker”. She knows all the trouble spots to look for and is quite thorough in her examination. Still a DFS in my book. Kids....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My three year old is my harshest critic. Every morning she checks my shave and this morning she “felt a whisker”. She knows all the trouble spots to look for and is quite thorough in her examination. Still a DFS in my book. Kids....
Don't worry. She will grow up loving you - even with the odd whisker 😁.

Are you extra careful shaving the places that she likes to check the most?

Top Bottom