What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Back to the drawing board with the Ralph Aust. I used my Böker Bismarck this morning and it was AWESOME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laying my razor on a dry washcloth when applying soap, drinking coffee, etc. is a good habit. saves blade and edge from all kinds of unfriendly possible encounters.

camo

this is absolutely my set up too. a thin hand towel folded up thrice and nice and neat on top of the front of the sink.

The cherry thing I can relate to. The HHT might work, but I need some real hair I guess. My hair has always been very fine, so I don’t know if that’s my issue.

When I finish the blade it seems very sharp and I get a decent shave, but the blade goes to pot within 5-8 shaves. That makes me think it might not quite be there.

The fact that I have fine hair might make shaving harder, because the hair bends out of the way easier. I don’t know.

I will throw something completely different into the mix, just to confuse you even more. When I got a Feather SS, I could barely get 4 good shaves out of a fresh blade. The other guys on the forum were talking about 20 plus per blade and I couldn't figure out why. I don't think my beard is any tougher that most, so I thought my prep and lather may not be up to par. Long story short, it turned out to be my shaving angle was the problem. The SS sort of encourages you to shave at a steeper angle, but it doesn't really need it. Started shaving like I do with my straights, with the spine barely of my face, and all of a sudden the issue disappeared. My lesson was that when you start with a sharp blade, you can very quickly spoil it with a too steep shaving angle.

small blade razors (4/8)........while usually held with low regard, can reach into nooks and curves where others can not just by their nature. I like all size blades but this type has its advantages.

it's even small enough to clear nostril hair.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
small blade razors (4/8)........while usually held with low regard, can reach into nooks and curves where others can not just by their nature. I like all size blades but this type has its advantages.

it's even small enough to clear nostril hair.

camo
I had a 5/8 RSO that I had to grind down to a 3/8 wedge to get a proper bevel on it. That was OK for nostril hair but I now prefer to use the toe of my Spanish point Gold Dollar W59 for those tight to reach shaving areas.
IMG_20200628_102206.jpg
Also good for inside the ear canals.

What I learned today, substance over show. Got my second nick yesterday. Now have a whopping 10 shaves under my belt. Previously @global_dev gave me a tip to make sure my lather wasn’t drying out. Now that’s not the reason I nicked myself, that is all on me! However I have been whipping up big, thick “showy” lathers since I could because it’s satisfying. Today after reading up here I started lather in my bowl with much more water, finished lather up on my face. Between the preshave and watery lather it was almost dripping off me but I’ll tells ya, got a great glide and zero drying out. Dress for the slide not the ride and lather for the go not the show

What I learned from today SR shave was my razor edge is not much of a difference from before I tried honing it with various films....bummer indeed..
Really put me off...I have the yips now of anymore attempts..
Give up...not yet.....revisit later perhaps...
I still like to be able to straight shave...as @rbscebu mentioned..the gentlemanly art of shaving...

What I learned today, substance over show. Got my second nick yesterday. Now have a whopping 10 shaves under my belt. Previously @global_dev gave me a tip to make sure my lather wasn’t drying out. Now that’s not the reason I nicked myself, that is all on me! However I have been whipping up big, thick “showy” lathers since I could because it’s satisfying. Today after reading up here I started lather in my bowl with much more water, finished lather up on my face. Between the preshave and watery lather it was almost dripping off me but I’ll tells ya, got a great glide and zero drying out. Dress for the slide not the ride and lather for the go not the show
Lol, i didnt mean water dripping off. That sounds way too far the other way. I use the small vdh green/blue bowl to hold about 1/2 cup of water. Not as a bowl lather but as a place to get some extra water or soak the brush pre/post shave.

To be honest, when lather starts to settle and dry for me, and it does on occassion, i will either dip the brush tips in some water, slightly coating 1/4 of the knot and just relather that spot or dip my finger tips in water and just rub the lather and then shave that spot, after wiping my hand dry, usually.

What I learned from today SR shave was my razor edge is not much of a difference from before I tried honing it with various films....bummer indeed..
Really put me off...I have the yips now of anymore attempts..
Give up...not yet.....revisit later perhaps...
I still like to be able to straight shave...as @rbscebu mentioned..the gentlemanly art of shaving...

thats the best part of learning honing, you know it has an upside and getting there finally is just like “yeah..”

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Chard52142, if your lapping film honing was done properly and you finished off at 1.0um, your should be getting a reasonable (not necessarily the best) shave from that edge. If not, I would suggest that you have an initial bevel set problem. In that case you will need to go back, properly set the bevel and work again through the lapping films.

Remember, when honing, light pressure only.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Lol, i didnt mean water dripping off. That sounds way too far the other way. I use the small vdh green/blue bowl to hold about 1/2 cup of water. Not as a bowl lather but as a place to get some extra water or soak the brush pre/post shave.

To be honest, when lather starts to settle and dry for me, and it does on occassion, i will either dip the brush tips in some water, slightly coating 1/4 of the knot and just relather that spot or dip my finger tips in water and just rub the lather and then shave that spot, after wiping my hand dry, usually.
I'm with @Cool Shave Luke. He and I said almost dripping off. This basically means a very wet lather but not runny.

I will throw something completely different into the mix, just to confuse you even more. When I got a Feather SS, I could barely get 4 good shaves out of a fresh blade. The other guys on the forum were talking about 20 plus per blade and I couldn't figure out why. I don't think my beard is any tougher that most, so I thought my prep and lather may not be up to par. Long story short, it turned out to be my shaving angle was the problem. The SS sort of encourages you to shave at a steeper angle, but it doesn't really need it. Started shaving like I do with my straights, with the spine barely of my face, and all of a sudden the issue disappeared. My lesson was that when you start with a sharp blade, you can very quickly spoil it with a too steep shaving angle.

Maybe I need to pay attention to that with regards to my chin. I shave with the blade as flat to the skin as I can. I’m almost honing on my face.

When I get to the chin, I might scrape at all kinds of angles. So maybe that’s where my edge falls apart.

I'm with @Cool Shave Luke. He and I said almost dripping off. This basically means a very wet lather but not runny.
You are correct sir, almost was the key. I do admit after the shave I went to town on the leftover wet lather in the bowl and proceeded to whip it into a thing of beauty! Partly because I couldn’t help myself partly because it was a Taylor if old bond sample I haven’t used in a while and wanted to get more of it’s scent.

@Chard52142, if your lapping film honing was done properly and you finished off at 1.0um, your should be getting a reasonable (not necessarily the best) shave from that edge. If not, I would suggest that you have an initial bevel set problem. In that case you will need to go back, properly set the bevel and work again through the lapping films.

Remember, when honing, light pressure only.
Thanks...will try again and remember light pressure only...

I have to keep a note on my phone so I can remember where I am at with each one. I'm only up to around 18 razors........

I dont see how you guys with the massive collections and drawers full manage this.....unless your doing something similar.

camo

Top Bottom