What's new

What did you learn from your coffee brewing method today?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned how to break the glass vessel of a French press without knowing I did it.

I also learned the ones IKEA of all places sells are 1/3 the price with much thicker glass and a better overall design. I’m still pleasantly surprised by that.

We bought two of them because the taxi fare one way is the same price as one of them. Having or renting a car or two motorcycles would be great, if I trusted myself to drive or ride either. Like many SE Asian countries, the traffic here is special. <eg>

it’s a fantastic $650 grinder, but not a $3895 Lynn Weber Workshops EG-1

What did I learn today from coffee? Something like there be madness or dragons as one goes along in coffee as a hobby just like for all of the other hobbies or habits or vices I have picked up on this forum and through related activities. I guess I do drink a lot more coffee than I eat pizza, it is a lot less caloric, and I do seem to like nice and expensive things. And I have not figured out a way to take it with me.

No retreat, no surrender!

Chapeau, Gentlemen!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh - was it a Bodum french press that died?
No. We have two Bodum French presses at home. The one I broke was a cheaply made one I found here in Bali. The two I bought at IKEA are at least as nice as the Bodums.

Shopping in Bali isn’t as easy as one might think. However, it sure has changed from my first time here in 1971. <eg>

What did I learn today from coffee? Something like there be madness or dragons as one goes along in coffee as a hobby just like for all of the other hobbies or habits or vices I have picked up on this forum and through related activities. I guess I do drink a lot more coffee than I eat pizza, it is a lot less caloric, and I do seem to like nice and expensive things. And I have not figured out a way to take it with me.

No retreat, no surrender!

Chapeau, Gentlemen!
You guys with the emojis are just too kind! You make me blush! Thanks even if anything I said does not deserve it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You guys with the emojis are just too kind! You make me blush! Thanks even if anything I said does not deserve it!

Well thats good, emojis are a great way to convey our passion for everything coffee. If somebody wants me to do something, I will ask them first if there will be coffee involved. If they say yes, then I'll say, rodger that, lets do it.

I am going to tell you something that I told a special friend of mine. If you love coffee, hold it dear to your heart, and feel coffee passion within your soul, you are every bit a member of our coffee crew as anybody else my friend.

So you know what I think you and I both need to do right now? I think we both need to make a second brew of coffee, yes indeed. My mug is getting close to empty, I'm not ready for bed yet, I just can't have that doggone. So, its time to fire up the Brazen!

Enjoy the coffee adventure, its actually far funner then you'd think. Once you begin, you just can't stop, you will constantly want more. For me, its been a fascinating adventure. Heck, so fascinating infact, I discovered a coffee that tastes both like chocolate and fresh cut wood at the same time. I know, crazy right?

Like I said, fun fun fun. :thumbup: And your welcome 😎

I mean you came in here and perfectly encapsulated our madness obsession hobby, what else did you expect! If this place was renamed, it would be to something with enablers R us, not just shaving.
True that. I have often advised on B&B to folks who write in saying they are getting into fragrances and would like some advice, that I would suggest they back off immediately, that they are entering an endless tunnel or pit, and that no good will come of it.

I am sure drinking a lot of coffee recently! I have manage to hold off somewhat on the equipment purchases!

I learned that these fancy spray dried, third wave roaster instant coffees are strong! How strong?

The package advises to use 10oz of water, my calculator tells me that is 280 grams. I used 300 and... I got 2.35% TDS!!! A standard TDS would be closer to 1.35%. I added a further 100g and got 1.67%, that's Scandinavian level strength! I stopped there, but going with 450g from the beginning would be advisable for those with milder taste. That's probably about 16oz and the amount of buzz I have going agrees with this! Actually tasty too.

I learned that these fancy spray dried, third wave roaster instant coffees are strong! How strong?

The package advises to use 10oz of water, my calculator tells me that is 280 grams. I used 300 and... I got 2.35% TDS!!! A standard TDS would be closer to 1.35%. I added a further 100g and got 1.67%, that's Scandinavian level strength! I stopped there, but going with 450g from the beginning would be advisable for those with milder taste. That's probably about 16oz and the amount of buzz I have going agrees with this! Actually tasty too.
Which instant did you make? I’ve been meaning to try some fancy third wave ones.

Put the carafe on the burner when you set the timer and go to bed.
Yeah, it works better than way than if you leave the carafe off the burner sitting on the counter, doesn't it? I seem to need repeat lessons in various things.

<What did you learn from your coffee brewing method today?>

I learned, once again, that I do not seem to be a one trial learner!

I was going to raise a related point but I think I will post a new thread.

I learned that my espresso shots need less time than I thought! I just about nailed the TDS and extraction on the second shot, but thought that it was running too fast. I would have kept going finer if I didn't have my refractometer to inform me!

Top Bottom