What's new

Is there a coffee scale that stays "on" longer so that one does lose the "tare" setting?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I too loved @The Knize response, it was awesome! So worry not @APBinNCA for I dispatched that heart with great dispatch! 😍

On another note, sometimes I don't even realize how passionate I am about something, until somebody points it out to me. I think The Knize is pretty cool, definitely the bees knize.

Speaking of your name @The Knize does it have anything to do with say a leather fragrance from 1920 called the Knize Ten?

Also, your profile picture looks like a very dapper man named Pinaud Clubman. If that is, I should tell you that I have several bottles of that aftershave, on my aftershave shelf.

Aaron might be right, we might share several common interests. But, as long as you appreciate coffee, we going to get along just fine. I am happy to hear that your journey was similar to mine, in that our beginnings with coffee were not so great, but then we amped up our coffee life's to another level, and began to really start enjoying coffee.

And worry not about your response, I felt it was perfect as it was. I am happy that I gave you a lot to think about. Here at B&B, our coffee crew is like a collection of coffee family aficionado's. I am glad to consider you a part of our coffee crew family. I hope that you have a wonderful trip!

First, you are too kind, SWCT. And thanks APB.

some common ground
Great play on words, whether intentional or not.

Like I said, I appreciate the passion and understand the thinking. There but for the grace of God go I, and I may go there yet!

Again, more quickly than usual:
Speaking of your name @The Knize does it have anything to do with say a leather fragrance from 1920 called the Knize Ten?

Absolutely. One of the areas I was most active in on B&B early on was fragrances and Knize Ten was and is an all time favorite. Another B&B member, who went by The Nid Hog--wherever you are, I hope you are well Chris!--used to be quite active on B&B and I thought that formulation of a handle was pretty cool. I read somewhere that "knize" in Hungarian or whatever it is means something like "knight" and I thought it was a nice play sound-wise on the play/movie The Wiz. I needed something. I was using my real name at first and that seemed like a bad idea after a while.

your profile picture looks like a very dapper man named Pinaud Clubman
Yep. I had some other profile pics along the way that I liked, too, including a good one of Brian Jones dressed in his most Mod attire. But I have stuck with this one. Seemed to fit B&B for lots of reasons. As I recall, I had to sort of clip and otherwise manipulate it from some Pinaud Clubman image or other. I suppose I still like and maybe respect is a good word Pinaud Clubman in its various expressions. But I do not love it like I do K10.

I am very glad to have you all and everyone else that is part of the coffee crew a part of the B&B community. Thank you for inviting me in. I accept, of course.

I guess I can pass on another couple of things. I have always sort of in theory really liked coffee, but I seemed to be drinking less of it. In the past few years I have wanted to encourage myself to drink more of it. I am convinced that it, including its caffeine content, is basically good for the health of human beings. It is essentially a natural product with all sorts of elements in it. I think better when I have had some coffee. It is something to drink other than sodas. Folks who drink a lot of coffee as less prone to get diabetes. I do not think there are any studies that indicate drinking filtered coffee is bad for one in any respect.

As I indicated earlier, I have had espresso machines, some of which were decent. But having espresso available did not seem to be increasing my consumption. I own French presses and like French press coffee, too. But again, I was not drinking much. But a few months ago I decided to give carefully prepared pour over a try, using scales and things like a swan neck kettle. I am very impressed with the increase in quality and i seem to be drinking a lot of coffee these days, so my goal was achieved!

I make coffee each morning for my wife and me. I do a pour-over into a Chemex. I grind 40g of coffee to brew with about 950g of water.

I measure both with this Philips Essence food scale. I tare the ramekin and pour the beans into it, transfer to grinder, and then grind them back into the ramekin. When the kettle has boiled, I wet the filter and swirl some hot water around to warm the glass of the Chemex. Pour that out, add the ground coffee, and tare.

I add about half the water, which fills the upper part nearly to the edge of the filter, and let it seep through. Sometimes, I get interrupted, and the scale times out. Sometimes I resume pouring only to realize I didn't wake the scale back up.

The good part is, when I wake it back up, not only does it remember my tare, it registers the weight it had when it timed out (that is, the water I'd added to that point), AND any additional water weight I may have added while timed out.

So yeah, I find this to be a nice scale for the inattentive pour-over guy.:001_smile

Essence.jpg

I was trying to be helpful... I am almost certain that scale is an Escali internally... their website isn't loading right now. I don't think we can easily get a Philips branded item like this in NA, probably wrong. I would bet a person could find a scale that has those four control buttons and it would function the same, Amazon has the usual unpronounceable name ones.

I don't know if @The Knize ever resolved his scale issue but I wanted to post in case he or anyone else is looking for an affordable scale with suitable resolution for weighing to hundredths of a gram, that will not turn itself off.

I've been using this one for years to mix my vaping juice by weight, with batteries, and it turns off after a few minutes. However, when plugged in using the included AC adapter it stayed on for over 10 minutes before I got tired of looking at it. I believe it stays on indefinitely with the adapter - or at least 10 minutes for certain.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't know if @The Knize ever resolved his scale issue but I wanted to post in case he or anyone else is looking for an affordable scale with suitable resolution for weighing to hundredths of a gram, that will not turn itself off.

I've been using this one for years to mix my vaping juice by weight, with batteries, and it turns off after a few minutes. However, when plugged in using the included AC adapter it stayed on for over 10 minutes before I got tired of looking at it. I believe it stays on indefinitely with the adapter - or at least 10 minutes for certain.

Wow. Nice and the price is right. Thx.

I don't know if @The Knize ever resolved his scale issue

I fixed my scale turning off issue by training myself to hang around while I made pour over coffee and to either add a small bit of water every now and then or bump the carafe slightly from time to time to keep the scale on. I did manage to adjust the one scale so it would stay on longer, but not really as long as I would like.

Thanks for the input. I have at a least one scale that will supposedly do 1/100ths of a gram that I used when I was trying to do molecular gastronomy. I had not thought about using those scales for coffee. Maybe I should!

I fixed my scale turning off issue by training myself to hang around while I made pour over coffee and to either add a small bit of water every now and then or bump the carafe slightly from time to time to keep the scale on. I did manage to adjust the one scale so it would stay on longer, but not really as long as I would like.

Thanks for the input. I have at a least one scale that will supposedly do 1/100ths of a gram that I used when I was trying to do molecular gastronomy. I had not thought about using those scales for coffee. Maybe I should!

Well, hundredths are probably overkill. 😄

...but the scale I linked to is sensitive enough to fluctuate when breathing (blowing) on it, unlike my crude postal scale.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Top Bottom