What's new

What did you learn from your coffee brewing method today?

Well, it's here now! I have a few tests, that's how I know I was making my coffee strong. It's going to take some time to write something up, but let me see if I can get a quick shot of it in action...

full

Whoops, I made perfect coffee!
Thanks for the pic, Aaron. I have no idea what a refractor is or what it does...but now I know what it looks like. One of those doorbell cameras. :D

I have stayed away from the Prismo in the past as they recommend dark roasts for it and I don't drink dark roasts.
That's interesting, I must have missed that. I started out using the metal disks and found the Prismo a welcome upgrade. I am able to grind about the same as I use for pour over so that's probably why I like it so much. I have always used the inverted method and was skeptical that the Prismo with the Aeropress "right side" up would be an improvement. I was wrong, sometimes I like things unexpectedly!

Well, it's here now! I have a few tests, that's how I know I was making my coffee strong. It's going to take some time to write something up, but let me see if I can get a quick shot of it in action...

full

Whoops, I made perfect coffee!
About $230, right? I admit that the technology seems just too fun. I do own a $600 plus pizza oven I have no objective need for.

On the other hand, I already know how to make better coffee than I actually make!

About $230, right? I admit that the technology seems just too fun. I do own a $600 plus pizza oven I have no objective need for.

On the other hand, I already know how to make better coffee than I actually make!
I probably need to explain that I have been involved in third wave coffee since the’90s, but more at the ground level. This is more than entertainment for me, it’s literally judging three decades of experience and telling me whether I know as much as I think I do(taste wise). In reality, I should have bought the $600 one several years ago to resolve this, but I am happy to finally have numbers!

In a way, this is like being into fragrances, but taste instead of smell hopefully. At some point, I would want to know whether my smell is accurate and probably see if I can send a well known fragrance off to China to confirm what is actually in it. Luckily, I am currently happy with my capability in that department!

Nothing wrong with a $600 pizza oven if it makes you happy, I have spent too much on pizza stones in the past and at least you got a whole oven for your money!

Apologies for continuing to side track this thread, this is why I am going to start a separate discussion.

Back on topic

I learned that with pour over, generally, grind setting determines extraction. It's so easy to get wrapped up in all the variable, but once you have a technique dialled in, just keep grinding finer and finer! If it taste too strong(concentrated), change nothing but the amount of water poured. If it tastes too bitter, then reduce the grind size. Ignore time, other than for future reference.

I would have never been able to make such firm conclusions without my new meter and it actually simplifies things.

My AeroPress Flow Control Filter Cap arrived this afternoon and I decided to give it a try.
I thought I had cranked the cap enough but found when I pressed to the hiss that a little coffee squirted out to the sides.
I decided to test it again just with water (not hot coffee) and cranked the cap down so there was no way to make it any tighter. I then pressed through the hiss and there was no spillage.

It was nice not to have to insert the plunger or use the inverted method to keep the coffee from dripping through during the steep time. The cap is a little slimmer than the regular AeroPress cap, so it fits better in smaller mouth mugs. I think I will need to look at the espresso-like recipes for this cap (or adjust my recipes in some way) as the flavor was different using this cap.

I noticed on the instructions that it said it was not compatible with the AeroPress XL (which I have never heard of). A quick search later, I found a post by the Coffee Chronicler listing three new AeroPress models that are out/coming out: AeroPress Clear, AeroPress XL and the AeroPress Premium. The post also mentioned the Flow Control Filter Cap as well.

I thought I would mention it in case others had not heard about those items.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I learned that chocolate infused coffee beans, can be quite the fascinating experience. 😁 So yeah, I admit that I love chocolate, as I am sure the majority of folks on B&B, also like chocolate. I also appreciate having a variety of coffee in my life. Life would be boring if all I drank was one flavor of coffee and nothing else. And yes I know that I used to do that for years, when I drank super market grade French Roast coffee. But I've upgraded my coffee life, and thus, I've upgraded my standards for specialty coffee too lol.

I tell ya what folks, nothing beats a freshly roasted coffee bean, no matter what coffee it is. But I gotta say, flavor infused coffee beans, are in a whole other league of their own. Technically, this is not my first foyay into flavor infused coffee. Years ago, I tried out a French Vanilla infused coffee bean, that was sold at the local super market believe it or not! It actually tasted pretty good, but I discovered that it wasn't something I wanted to have every day. :lol:

So, todays review of the Army Of Dark Chocolate, from the Bones coffee company, who treats their coffee production as some of kind movie production. ( Aint marketing grand? ) Well, it certainly is a dark roast alright. I mean, these beans are actually darker in color then my Kenya Dark Roast Espresso beans! After running these through the grinder, the scent of fresh cut wood is unmistakable here. I love the scent of fresh cut wood, so I considered this a fascinating experience.

Additionally, in regards to grinding, these were extremely easy to grind on setting number 8, on my 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder, easier to grind, then even my Kenya Dark Roast Espresso beans. I also noticed, unlike all the previous coffee beans that I have grinded, who's grounds got stuck to the bottom of the grinder, requiring a good brush out, the Army Of Dark Chocolate, doesn't seems to leave a lot of grounds residue on the bottom of my grinder, I was honestly surprised that the retention value was pretty much 0!

I also noticed that the grounds seemed slightly finer, then other coffee's I've grounded, on the same exact setting of number 8. I am not exactly sure what physics AODC are breaking in order to achieve that, but thats quite impressive. When I began the brewing process, my goodness, you'd think that I was running a wood mill inside my house. The scent of fresh cut wood cannot be overstated here. If you are somebody who loves working in a woodshop, then you are going to appreciate this coffee. 🪵

Now, as far as how the coffee tastes. Since its a dark roast, some slight bitterness is to be expected, you wouldn't be drinking a dark roasted coffee, if you didn't appreciate a slight bitterness to coffee. I do indeed taste the flavor of chocolate, along with the flavor of fresh cut wood as well. Who knew that one day in my life I'd be drinking the essence of wood? Well, we build our homes with it, might as well drink wood too. :lol:

OK, lets be honest here, this type of coffee was also meant to be enhanced with sweeteners and creamers. So I sweetened it up with some Splenda, and I actually have chocolate cream from coffee mate, so I added some chocolate creamer to it. This combination toned down the bitterness a little bit, and enhanced the chocolate flavor more. Was this the experience that I was expecting? I'd say no. But darn it all, this experience was a fascinating one indeed.

I'd just like to clarify for those who don't know. Some folks do not appreciate the acidity factor that is associated with light roasted coffee's. If your one of those people, rest assured, no acidity factors are founded in darker roasts, and certainly not in this one. If your looking for a chocolaty, woodsy coffee experience, look no further then this one. I am surprised to say that I like this coffee, and I think I will buy it again.

And yes, my fingers which had touched this coffee earlier, they smell like wood too, and chocolate. Hmm, I wonder if you can get this scent in a cologne? 🤣

proxy.php

Today I learned proved that dumping your coffee back through the grounds does work! I have been recommending this forever, but the catch is that you have got to be sure it's very under extracted or you are going to end up too far the other way.

Now, I can actually prove this by measuring the extraction. I went from the bottom left corner of the chart to the middle of the upper right area, right where you want to end up from the beginning! I admit this was luck, a happy accident that it landed where it did. For French Press, this should be about the equivalent to putting it back in for another minute or so.

Secret to great cup
Of Black Coffee is Coffee, how it Roasted, Ground, Water Temperature, Water Quality it brew at.

Starbucks Black Coffee is just awful & bitter, why because they roast for quanity, not quality.

Starbucks makes big bucks off Coffee Drink, when additives to make taste good. Only 6 bucks for the experence.

Starbucks give Vets a Free Cup if Coffee on Veterans Day. I never do that Free Coffee.🤮

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Learned that my patner and I especially love natrual processed light roasts.

Also learned that I need to more regularly re-calibrate my Baratza Vario+.

Wait, the Baratza Vario+ is a really high end grinder, it should be calibrated at factory, and shouldn't need re-calibration. Are you saying that the grinders lose their calibration over time? If this indeed the case, could this be due to burr wear? If so, that might be like belts on a riding mower, when a belt gets old, it gets stretched, requiring one to add more tension on the belt, or it will slip on the pulley's. I believe Baratza are really good about self maintenance and part replacement of their grinders. Maybe look into getting a new burr set if its worn?

Glad that you are into naturally processed coffee's. I myself am feeling myself drawn to the organic side of coffee. Companies who not only harvest coffee beans organically, ( And NON-GMO ) but coffee companies that support their communities, and all that. I think its better for our health personally, regardless of what type of roast profile you like, I think with fair trade certified, organic certified, and a good high rating review, is the way to go indeed.

my calibration gets a little off due to me removing the top burr carrier to clean it after every two bags of coffee or so. calibration is a normal procedure over the course of a grinder’s life at least one at this level. yes, burrs wear and while it is a very high quality grinder, it’s not a Swiss clock, but even they need servicing once in a while.

i have changed my burr set and also added sound deadening tiles to the case to reduce noise. it works great!

yes, i too like supporting small growers and co-ops via my selections via Trade coffee subscription.

Last edited:
Wait, the Baratza Vario+ is a really high end grinder, it should be calibrated at factory, and shouldn't need re-calibration.
Just an FYI, it's externally adjusted because this needs to be checked occasionally as mentioned above. It even comes with a fancy tool to do it(just an Allen wrench). Remember with your hand grinder, you are supposed to be checking that it hasn't gone out of calibration too, it's a similar principal, you just need to make sure the burrs make contact where they are supposed to. There is more complex internal adjustment on that grinder though, that's what shouldn't need to be futzed with often or ever.

yep, already did an alignment procedure based on folks methods on the homebarista forum.

the burr carrier system isn’t exactly a precision assembly, but it does do an excellent job for what it is.

it’s a fantastic $650 grinder, but not a $3895 Lynn Weber Workshops EG-1. :) Though i don't brew espresso nor am I chasing perfection.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

According to the manufacturer 1ZPresso, I should only have to do a re-calibration of my grinder, if I take it apart completely. So it does seem like there is a difference between hand grinders and motorized grinders in that regard. I don't have to take my grinder completely apart, because I find the tools they provide to clean it out, mainly the brush, and the little air blower thing, seems like they clear out the chamber just plenty fine for my liking.

I gotta say, I am not eager to go back to an electric grinder. Now in fairness, the only electric grinder I still have, is my Cuisinart D8 with its ceramic burr set. I mean it does the job I guess, but it doesn't use a stainless steel heptagonal conical burr, so it doesn't provide as uniform of a grind. It also create a ton of static due to it using ceramic burrs that heatup. And the Cuisinart is so loud, you'd think somebody is strapping a jet engine to blast coffee into space or something.

I much prefer my 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder. Yes its slower, its not going to grind as fast as an electric model. But it uses a high end heptagonal conical stainless steel burr set, doesn't create a bunch of static, and its nice and quiet too. Plus, the build quality is top notch, all metal, no plastic for burr supports. And its double bearing, got an awesome crank handle on it. Grind adjustable on the outside, gotta love it.

But it also depends on how much you gotta grind. I mean, if you had to grind 120 grams of coffee to make a full 12-cup pot, I'd vote to use an electric. But if your gonna grind 60 grams or less for 8-cups of coffee or less, hand grinder is good clean exercise, and is kind of a meditative experience for me.

What does your grinder mean for you?

Top Bottom