What's new

What did you hone today?

After getting "down" on honing after trying three times to get a decent edge off of my Hayashi frameback, I honed my just arrived Japanese western, labelled only "72 E". It's a thick, heavy razor I was intending to use as a practice razor for honing (it was pretty cheap off of ebay), and found that it took an amazing edge easily. I just wiped some oil on my cheek and did a few XTG swipes, felt amazing, and was taking off stubble my frameback left. Can't wait to give it a full test tomorrow.

I'm a both disappointed and glad that one razor can just me so much trouble, while another is like butter.

Thanks, I was wondering why I would want to go coti-BBW-coti :confused1

If memory serves that was the original "one stone honing" technique on coti/bbw stones promoted on shaving forums. The idea was that Coti's cut faster than BBW, but BBW had a higher finish level with slurry (without dilutions). I believe that it was quickly learned that the latter wasn't necessarily true, and that diluting the slurry on the coti side was a better solution and so going Coti-BBW-Coti fell out of favor.

But Les Latneuses (spelling?) combo side isn't bbw. It looks to me like it's mostly coti with some bbw and possibly some minerals or structure unique to itself mixed in there.

I honed my Comfort on my La Grise. First time trying an edge straight off that stone tonight. As said often, Coti stone edges don't seem to have any major differences in finish from one another, so it's mostly just to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:
Here's something to try on that one (speaking from experience with it!):

Give it some time on light slurry on the hybrid side, doing dilutions and finishing on water. Then (optionally) go back to the creamy side and do some strokes on water if you like. You'll be pleasantly surprised (and may just forget about going to the Frankonian).

Did just this tonight Jared (except I didn't go back to the creamy side). The feedback on the hybrid side is just....weird. Anyway, I went straight off the hybrid to canvas and leather and had an excellent, smooth shave :thumbup1:

I haven't yet tried a full dilucot on the Hybrid side as it doesn't seem to remove much metal in the heavy slurry stages (which I kind of need at the moment coming off the DMT 600). More testing to be done.

refreshed the edge on my Boker King Cutter on my LGB bout, 50 x-strokes under running water, 60 on linen and 60 on leather and it was back to HHT4 with the odd HHT5. A DFS followed closely behind.

I'm pretty pumped that I'm starting to get HHT3+ off the coti before stropping.

New to honing - what is HHT 2, 3 or higher? Testing keeness w/ hanging hair test I get, but what does the number following HHT mean? Thanks

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
HHT6 means the hair falls apart when you walk into the bathroom.

I haven't yet tried a full dilucot on the Hybrid side as it doesn't seem to remove much metal in the heavy slurry stages (which I kind of need at the moment coming off the DMT 600). More testing to be done.

How much metal are you removing? Unless we're talking a lot of bigger chips you shouldn't ever really need to remove that much metal. It normally takes me less than 5 minutes to set a bevel on most Coticules I've used.

HHT6 means the hair falls apart when you walk into the bathroom.

:lol:

How much metal are you removing? Unless we're talking a lot of bigger chips you shouldn't ever really need to remove that much metal. It normally takes me less than 5 minutes to set a bevel on most Coticules I've used.

The Feedback is just much different to most coticules I've used I guess is what I was trying to say.

I'm cleaning up and honing this for another B&B member, who is new to straights. I get to try out another Filarmonica, and he gets to try a nice coticule edge! It's just another way to give back to B&B.

I saw this razor and thought,what a good looking razor and then it hit me,thats my razor:001_smile

Paul

Today I honed a Henckels Friodur that measures just a hair under 7/8. It was an Ebay purchase from early January that finally arrived from France. The hone marks on the spine were light enough that I think it was honed once very lightly. This little gem is as close to new as you can get. For being Inox it sure honed quick and Keen on my La Petite Blanche coticule with little effort.

Today I honed a Henckels Friodur that measures just a hair under 7/8. It was an Ebay purchase from early January that finally arrived from France. The hone marks on the spine were light enough that I think it was honed once very lightly. This little gem is as close to new as you can get. For being Inox it sure honed quick and Keen on my La Petite Blanche coticule with little effort.
Nice razor. That La Petite Blance looks kind of intersting, too. :a6:

Top Bottom