What's new

What did you hone today?

Honed up a German blade with some nice spine detail marked 'Government' and 'Famous Hollow Ground' complete with some badly warped and discoloured scales.

I bought this months ago from ebay for a few pounds and wasn't getting anywhere with the uneven bevel and damage to the edge. I put it aside for a bit and came back to it a few days ago.

King 1k/6k, without any slurry for a change
New Thuringian with slurry, then onto to just water
Then 40 odd laps on a Tony Miller latigo strop

It's shaving! my first ebay junker to face shaver, yay

Granted it's not honemeister sharp and the very tip of the toe needs work but I'm very happy I can shave with it and the only way is up from here.

I've been relying on pastes for quite a while as they seem to compensate for poor honing technique to some degree but as time marches on I'm developing a much better feel for my hones and am much happier shaving straight off the stones, well with a little trip to the latigo just before shaving. I get the feeling I'll get more out of the pastes if I abandon them for a bit and concentrate on the stones.

SWMBO is giving us the night off from home renos so hopefully I will have some time to get the hones. I'd like to redo my great grandpa's razor. Took a bunch of chips out but it's still kinda rough. Going to give it more time on the DMT1200 until it's smoothly shaving arm hair, then it's coti time.

Got my La Grise coti from "honed" today.
Took a Heljestrand No.4 for my first try on a coti, probably not the best idea I've had :glare:

Spent about an hour trying to set a bevel with 20/20 strokes, not even close to shave arm hair.

Then I got the bright idea to set the bevel on the Naniwa 1K, and to the rest on the coti, did 60 laps before it shaved any arm hair, just going to do a few more laps to get it just a little bit better, got distracted, and went too far.... back to square one Aaargh :angry:

Great-Grandpa's Joseph Elliot and Sons on my LGB natural combo bout

proxy.php

I think I improved it some, might need another round of X-strokes on water in the AM before I shave with it.

Simmons Keen Kutter (Made in U.S.A.) on a La Grosse Blanche bout. This stone was pretty easy to use and makes a cool-looking soapy slurry. I got a HHT4, so I think with some more work I can get HHT5 soon if I try.

Two razors honed today: ERN 1720 and Guillermo Hoppe. Same routine for both: circles on the DuoSharp 1200 for the bevel, then 20/20 circles on my La Grise coticule for 8-10 dilutions, finished with 100 laps on clean water. I have high hopes for the shave from both.

I'm really enjoying the Duo Sharp and coticule combo. Very easy to get a good shave!

...Ray

13/16 Maher & Grosh on my La Dressante Coticule

This is my favorite straight. It was still shaving ok, so I was pretty much just practicing my x-stroke. Well, that and I enjoy it.

proxy.php

Just finished the chain for a Stiga SP 400 Q chainsaw.
Using diamond files & finishing with AluOxide stone.

5/8 Dixie Manufacturing on a 50x200 LPB from The Superior Shave.

OK, not really "honing", just practice. I've decided to learn how to hone and I spent about 30 minutes last night practicing my X stroke. I'm following Bart's advice to first learn the X stroke before attempting half strokes and to also spend only 15 minutes a day practicing.

My 7/8 TI Le Canadien that I've been trying to get right on my new coticule. I just couldn't get it sharp enough so I bit the bullet today and ran it on 8k, 12k, 16k and 30k Shaptons.

Depose Le Jaguar on a La Petite Blanche coticule.
John,now that you have it keen go back and give it 20 light laps on water for the coticule edge you wish to shave with. I think you'll be happy.

Shaving with a chainsaw. Talk about macho. :thumbup1:
Makes a man feel alive like nothing else :biggrin1:

Yesterday's touch-up's:
Eskilstuna Jernbolag 5/8 frameback:
HA diamond 0.5 my on leather -> CrOx on leather

C.V Heljestrand MK#24:
HA diamond 0.5 my on leather -> HA diamond 0.25 my on leather

Top Bottom