What's new

What did you hone today?

A Thier Issard 6/8 Spartacus. It's a new aquisition. It came reasonably sharp but I gave it 250 laps on the coticule with a light slurry, 100 laps on the coticule with clean water and 50 laps on a thuringian. I reckon that it's going to give me a pretty good shave tomorrow morning.

HM Christenson - Chosera 1K -> LGJ Coticule -> Vintage Thuringian
Le Phoceen French Frameback - Chosera 1K -> LGJ Coticule -> Dark Blue Escher

Both gave very good and similar edges.

Finished up the John Clarke & Son.

Norton 8K, Coti, Naniwa 12K back to the Coti under running water then to .25 diamond.

Last edited:
I worked the Coti to where I was getting no where fast. So I messed with it in a progression. I wanted this razor to be ready for shaving so I did it the best way I know how. This was only my second time with the Coti, looks like the learning curve beat me this time.

I dulled another razor to practice on. Got it going pretty good but still not perfect. I'll keep working it, the Coti, till I get a handle on it with more regularity.

I worked the Coti to where I was getting no where fast. So I messed with it in a progression. I wanted this razor to be ready for shaving so I did it the best way I know how. This was only my second time with the Coti, looks like the learning curve beat me this time.

I dulled another razor to practice on. Got it going pretty good but still not perfect. I'll keep working it, the Coti, till I get a handle on it with more regularity.

I found I kept getting it close but no cigar, so stopped dulling it and starting over and just did more laps under running water. If it wasn't better after a few rounds of 50 x-strokes I'd go back to a super light slurry with really light half-strokes. As the slurry gets diluted use less pressure. You're almost at negative pressure once under running water.

I have found it quicker and easier to get a keen edge on the BBW side and then tone it down on the Coticule side. By all means try and do it all on the coticule but if that fails it is much easier to get a keen edge off BBW with a slick slurry and polish it with thin ,then none,and finish on the Coticule. Everybody is different so find what works best for you.

I have found it quicker and easier to get a keen edge on the BBW side and then tone it down on the Coticule side. By all means try and do it all on the coticule but if that fails it is much easier to get a keen edge off BBW with a slick slurry and polish it with thin ,then none,and finish on the Coticule. Everybody is different so find what works best for you.

This I'll try in the a.m., thanks for the suggestion.

Touched up a Depews. The downside of getting good at stropping is that I haven't really had to hone a razor in years, so I've lost the knack. I'll see how I did tomorrow...

Note to self: Do not try to hone while tired...

Got a new coticule in the mail today. Went through a quick dilucot, didn't get the results I wanted. I was pretty much expecting this, first time on a new rock, and my general noobness. No biggie. So I tape the spine, make a very light slurry, do 30 x-strokes, wash coticule, and got to the 48th(out of 50) x-stroke on water when the blade tilted and the edge dug into the rock. :mad: Did a couple of quick strops just for the heck of it and checked what I already knew was gonna be the case: awesome HHT4 on the heel and right at the point, and HHT0 right in the middle where the edge dug in.

Oh well, at least I know my Unicot was good in the rest of the blade. I'll dull on glass later and start over.

Tonight, I'm going to bed. :glare:

Worse than digging into coticule is digging into your brand new strop because you were tired and should have gone to bed but didn't. I did that once. Now I don't strop if over fatigued.

My Kron Punkt arrived today so I've given it a run on the coticule to see how it goes. I've left it as a coticule edge without doing a final polish on the thuringian to see how it compares.

Last night:

MK 31 - Chosera 1K -> LA Veinette Coticule
Dorko - touch up on La Veinette -> Thuringian
Filly DT 14 - La Veinette starting with thinnish slurry dilucot -> Frankonian

One of the dogs decided he needed to go to the toilet early this morning so not to waste an opportunity I used the time to hone a John Heiffor "For Army" 6/8 wedge that came in last nights post. I took a few small chips out with the 325 DMT, set the bevel on a 1k Shapton and then did about 400 laps (6 dilutions with the last one being clean water) on the coticule.

Just got done with a Morley & Son, nothing but a La Veinette coti :biggrin1: Did a dilution follow buy a couple hundred strokes with just water.

I got some Shapton GlassStones (220/500/1000) to use with knives, so I used the 1000 on my Spyderco Caly 3 last night. I unfortunately didn't have time to do more honing.

Top Bottom