What's new

What did you hone today?

Spent a little time converting this MK 30 from "method" edge to Ark.
20220522_160015.jpg

Spent a little time converting this MK 30 from "method" edge to Ark.
View attachment 1460219
I've never done the method, but a well finished razor(or knife for that matter) that spends time doing lots of circles and rolling x strokes on a translucent Ark is very hard to compete with. The edges are so smooth and so sharp. On knifes and chisels that get lots of use they seem stay sharp for longer .

I've never done the method, but a well finished razor(or knife for that matter) that spends time doing lots of circles and rolling x strokes on a translucent Ark is very hard to compete with. The edges are so smooth and so sharp. On knifes and chisels that get lots of use they seem stay sharp for longer .
Can't beat the ark for comfortable edges. And depending on how much time I spend on it, I can get pretty close to the diamond balsa method for sharpness. Close enough. Even the edges that aren't quite as sharp seem to shave closer, but maybe that's because the edge is comfortable enough that I can go over the stubborn areas more.

Can't beat the ark for comfortable edges. And depending on how much time I spend on it, I can get pretty close to the diamond balsa method for sharpness. Close enough. Even the edges that aren't quite as sharp seem to shave closer, but maybe that's because the edge is comfortable enough that I can go over the stubborn areas more.
I've had a les lat that I used a few times and sat on a shelf for a while. After polishing a couple knives on a bbw after looking into the science behind it I decided to throw some knives I've had trouble with on my Les lat with a slurry and was amazed at what I ended up with with. I did use both sides to finish on the hybrid with the lightest slurry. Knives were done within 3 minutes each, as I thinned the slurry I got steel colored mud in place of it. I used lpb slurry on the stone but I think the LL was the workhorse throughout. I never have sharpened knives on coticules really outside of testing their speed. I like teeth on my knives and the smoothness coticules impart on razors seemed counterintuitive to me, but I was wrong. Anyone starting in sharpening of any kind I would suggest a les lat. Mine is 100x30 so it's not very big but it's very fine and possibly one of my top 3 fastest stones. I used a French knife I sharpened on it to cut cane tested and it slices through knife length swaths of it like I was hht-ing hair on my arm. Again, I got the idea of putting knives on coticules from @cotedupy and it was fantastic advice. Because garnets are so hard, if you've got an aggressive coticule with heavy slurry, they'll eat almost any steel like butter. I was super impressed and also rediscovered the value of pasted strops on knives. I put a razor I messed up on an uneven stone back in that same coticule and after 2 minutes on each side it was tree topping silently. I run it up and down an old Norton black "hard arkansas" 5" slip stone just to pick it up. Shave was great. Was tempted to throw it on the pasted strop but it was perfect as is. My pocket knives can shave a finger print off with no pressure. They went on a llyn idwal for a few minutes but the coticule took the chips out of all those knives in no time.

Touched up an axe I had sharpened with a very old washita initially. I put this black river stone I found and flattened one side of. It's very hard, fine, and abrasive. I wish I knew what it was so I could hunt more or buy a quarry I did a very quick 20 sec run over on it with my la lune slurry stone after it was honed. Shaves hair with ease. Mirrored edge though the "bevel" is tiny. 10/10 would cut a foot off.

20220525_202033.jpg

Dovo inox honed on convex LV coticule. Finished on broken flat Nani 12k and 0.1 micron lapping film on glass and wet paper.
It's been a long time since I have shaved with this type of edge. I generally prefer jnat edges.

20220526_125950.jpg

I have a razor that divorced itself from the scales, so I made this handle from a broken drumstick and waxed thread, and it's working out like a charm. And the razor is quite nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_120613.jpg
    IMG_20220526_120613.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Just trying this little stone I believe is a Thuri. A little slurry the a few dilutions to plain water. Only 20 strokes, it sure seems to be one to me. The edge came out real nice. I’m going to try and use it as a slurry stone on an Escher that’s inbound. 862B42B1-30C0-4DF9-A909-1EB9548F0FC1.jpeg

Vintage KAMA on les lat
20x coti side, followed by 30 x hybrid
Running water finish 10x handheld
Superb edge😀
I have two slices of les lat
4 inch pictured and a 5 inch slice
The 4 inch slice is unreal in creamy smooth edges and hybrid side like hard glass, amazing shave
View attachment 1462429
I shaved off my Les lat for the first time in a while last night and I forget how much I like the edges. I like that the edge is super sharp but I can use a little pressure on my cheek bones without blinding myself.

Top Bottom