What's new

What did you hone today?

So I recently participated in a trade with @cotedupy that you can read about here Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/washita-thread-show-off-discuss-etc.507612/post-11767484
In return for one of my Washitas I received two UK stones, an area where I previous had nothing. There’s a bunch of stuff on eBay but mostly stones actually in the UK, which cost more to ship than they do to buy.
View attachment 1456289

The wider, lighter-colored stone is a Grecian Idwal suggested as good for knives and as a pre-finisher for razors. The smaller one is a Charnley Forest, suggested as good for finishing razors. Since I needed to prepare some mirepoix for a recipe I checked out my two go-to knives. The gyuto seemed in tip-top shape, but my Nakiri, while barely passing the tomato skin test, failed when I tried to drop a cherry tomato on the edge. So i gave it a quick 10-20 strokes on the Grecian with oil and it promptly passed the “dropped tomato” test.

View attachment 1456291

Next I got in a little practice on razors. I started with my sourdough lame (no idea how to make the accent mark appear), which is a Joseph Rodgers with a crack in the blade that disqualifies it from ever being used for shaving. I killed the edge on the Grecian, then re-established it, and then did about 5 minutes work on the Charnley Forest. It made mincemeat of a tomato at that point. Then I tried it on a razor I actually shave with, a 5/8 full hollow Imperial. I used that razor this morning to get a reference point - it had a black ark + pasted balsa edge which could to pretty well on a Fool’s Pass. Again killed the edge on the Grecian, brought it back, then spent about 8 minutes on the Charnley Forest, about half edge leading and half spine leading, also half in hand and half in the wooden holder. For some reason I still do better on honing in hand for edge leading and struggle a bit to keep the blade flat on spine leading. I will give the razor a go in the morning to see how it compares to this morning’s shave.
My charnley really likes very thin, soapy lather on razors. Or I start thick and thin it out like a slurry.

So I recently participated in a trade with @cotedupy that you can read about here Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/washita-thread-show-off-discuss-etc.507612/post-11767484
In return for one of my Washitas I received two UK stones, an area where I previous had nothing. There’s a bunch of stuff on eBay but mostly stones actually in the UK, which cost more to ship than they do to buy.
View attachment 1456289

The wider, lighter-colored stone is a Grecian Idwal suggested as good for knives and as a pre-finisher for razors. The smaller one is a Charnley Forest, suggested as good for finishing razors. Since I needed to prepare some mirepoix for a recipe I checked out my two go-to knives. The gyuto seemed in tip-top shape, but my Nakiri, while barely passing the tomato skin test, failed when I tried to drop a cherry tomato on the edge. So i gave it a quick 10-20 strokes on the Grecian with oil and it promptly passed the “dropped tomato” test.

View attachment 1456291

Next I got in a little practice on razors. I started with my sourdough lame (no idea how to make the accent mark appear), which is a Joseph Rodgers with a crack in the blade that disqualifies it from ever being used for shaving. I killed the edge on the Grecian, then re-established it, and then did about 5 minutes work on the Charnley Forest. It made mincemeat of a tomato at that point. Then I tried it on a razor I actually shave with, a 5/8 full hollow Imperial. I used that razor this morning to get a reference point - it had a black ark + pasted balsa edge which could to pretty well on a Fool’s Pass. Again killed the edge on the Grecian, brought it back, then spent about 8 minutes on the Charnley Forest, about half edge leading and half spine leading, also half in hand and half in the wooden holder. For some reason I still do better on honing in hand for edge leading and struggle a bit to keep the blade flat on spine leading. I will give the razor a go in the morning to see how it compares to this morning’s shave.

Bit of a gem that little Grecian, very similar in use to my large one. And you've probably hit on the perfect application for it... 5x2 is big enough to use on knives, but small enough to have in the kitchen as a quick touch up stone, without taking up loads of space.

Hope the shave goes well off the CF, should do: if I managed to get results off it, then I'm sure you'll have completely nailed it!

F me do I love caidao and Turkish Oilstones! Of all the fancy knives and stones in all the world - none of them are as good as these two.

FE0730D1-52A1-4819-B9EB-2C3F2B249662.jpeg

1C80CC13-6D44-4568-8E81-187096A737A6.jpeg

Do you reckon it's because the CCK usually have softer steel?

Oh I didn't necessarily mean as a combo... more just that these are my favourite kind of chef's knives. And favourite kind of stones.

In actual fact when I was having real trouble trying to sharpen a knife from one of the high hardness + high wear resistant 'supersteels' last year - a Turkish was the only thing (including synths) that really got me anywhere.

I only did about a minute of circles with a Tam slurry but it picked up the edge after working with it all day and it's still toothy. The cutting action of it and feedback look/feel like and old washita that was recently refreshed. I haven't tried to see how fine I can get on it but it surely picked that edge up like my favorite upper- mid rocks, very quickly. The slurry darkened within 20 seconds and got much darker. Pretty cool stone. I think it could go from bevel set to almost finishing a razor like a hard old washita. It's very much the ones with the rust colored spots.

20220517_201525.jpg

I'm still not certain what this lovely green stone is aside from amazing. Very quick, very fine and mirror polish. I keep Tam slurry all the way through so I don't know if it's the slurry polishing or the stone but it's pretty nice. This one was a gamble but in very happy with it. I think I'm going to throw a razor on it again now that it's flat and see what's what. I think if it leave a rough edge that lpb slurry will remedy that. The first pictures not great but I the it in anyway.

20220518_174521.jpg20220518_174543.jpg
20220518_174504.jpg

Been a while but my hand and shoulder were feeling good today so I decided to hone up 3 razors.

Ern 170 finished on a Zulu Grey. I hadn't used this stone in a few years.
IMG_20220518_161348774.jpg

Tiny bevel that took without any issues. A joy to hone this one.
I was feeling pretty good so I try to use this straight to shave with tonight.
I made it through 70 percent of a shave before my hand started shaking. That's the most I've done in over 6 months or more. I'm very happy about that.
Had to finish up with a SE but I loved the challenge.

Best Silver Steel German 3/8".
IMG_20220518_125803512_HDR.jpg

The bevel is a little wider than I wanted but the edge turned out great. Finished on the 20K then stropped on crox for a little. Shaves the whiskers like going through butter.

Last was a Russian Rocket Razor. I was told it was warped and the bevels are not straight.
IMG_20220518_161714590.jpg

The blade was ground a little funny so I had to do some gymnastics to get it honed. But in the end, it was finished on the 20K and has a nice bevel.
I'm happy I was able to add this to my collection as I didn't have any Russian razors. One will be enough.

I will probably pay dearly tomorrow for doing this but it's been so long. I've sat down and in a few days have managed to get a razor honed but the fun was lost.
This was a pleasure to do.

I'm still not certain what this lovely green stone is aside from amazing. Very quick, very fine and mirror polish. I keep Tam slurry all the way through so I don't know if it's the slurry polishing or the stone but it's pretty nice. This one was a gamble but in very happy with it. I think I'm going to throw a razor on it again now that it's flat and see what's what. I think if it leave a rough edge that lpb slurry will remedy that. The first pictures not great but I the it in anyway.

View attachment 1458197View attachment 1458199
View attachment 1458200
You will need to try without the tam slurry to figure that out. Tam O Shanters are a polishing stone.

First try with the La Veinette, great success!

030E800B-EEBE-4D15-ADA3-E6338D318531.jpeg

My instinct was right, this was already well flattened and only took a little bit of lapping.

I honed in hand, also a new thing for me, and it worked great. I started off wet and metal came off immediately without any undue pressure. I only added a few drops of water at a time and it seemed to naturally transition to polishing. I didn’t count laps, it was 10 minutes or less.

I stropped on linen and leather and everything felt and sound nominal. It is definitely sharper than it was and definitely sharp enough to shave!

View attachment 1458578

My instinct was right, this was already well flattened and only took a little bit of lapping.

I honed in hand, also a new thing for me, and it worked great. I started off wet and metal came off immediately without any undue pressure. I only added a few drops of water at a time and it seemed to naturally transition to polishing. I didn’t count laps, it was 10 minutes or less.

I stropped on linen and leather and everything felt and sound nominal. It is definitely sharper than it was and definitely sharp enough to shave!

Those Veinette’s are awesome stones. Congrats

View attachment 1458578

If you want to try to push it a little farther use thinned out lather and do light half strokes or the figure 8 if you are coordinated enough, it took practice for me.

View attachment 1458197View attachment 1458199
View attachment 1458200

That's very smart! Which stone was this? (You've got so many nice new green stones that I lose track ;)).

I'd be surprised if the main stone was novaculite, unless that polish is just from the tam slurry.

Top Bottom