What's new

What did you hone today?

Also noticed after using last night that I'd rolled a burr on my Mazaki... happens to the best of us! So a quick sort on BBW:

IMG-8114.jpg

As well as being a superb sharpening stone BBW is also, curiously, a world class kasumi stone. If a jnat combined edges and polish like this you'd be paying rather a lot of money for it.

IMG-8118.jpg

Still playing around with the Bengalls. It’s probably time for me to put these away but I’m enjoying bringing them back to life.

Tonight I gave the older one a session on the Thuri. Lovely feedback. Edge looks good. The toe is improving bit by bit. HHT and tree topping are solid but not quite Arkansas level. I suspect this will be a buttery smooth shave tomorrow.

43EF46E7-5818-42A8-9324-732C9FE1E756.jpeg

That's very smart! Which stone was this? (You've got so many nice new green stones that I lose track ;)).

I'd be surprised if the main stone was novaculite, unless that polish is just from the tam slurry.
It was the soft one that has the big belly in the bottom. The rock is awesome. It's twin is in the mail right now.

I honed this today, but I didn’t get around to posting how things went yesterday.

26525CAD-D3EA-481E-BF74-DEF7CE221185.jpeg

Although everything felt great yesterday, the shave was too tuggy. So I cheated mid shave and and put that razor on 1 micron and stropped again. This definitely made an improvement, but with a noticeable feel on the skin. I am concluding that this razor wasn’t set right from the factory because it is now keen, but not sharp. A strange combination.

The above razor has always had a slightly uncomfortable edge so I am going to see how it shaves right off the coti. This is my first and only wedge and I am not sure if I want any more. All the damage was done before I got it, I am only honing with rolling x strokes.

I honed this today, but I didn’t get around to posting how things went yesterday.

View attachment 1459029

Although everything felt great yesterday, the shave was too tuggy. So I cheated mid shave and and put that razor on 1 micron and stropped again. This definitely made an improvement, but with a noticeable feel on the skin. I am concluding that this razor wasn’t set right from the factory because it is now keen, but not sharp. A strange combination.

The above razor has always had a slightly uncomfortable edge so I am going to see how it shaves right off the coti. This is my first and only wedge and I am not sure if I want any more. All the damage was done before I got it, I am only honing with rolling x strokes.
Wedges are really tricky to get smoking sharp on a coticule for me. Full hollows really shine on them though.

After reading countless posts, all across the internet, of @cotedupy fawning over sharpening knives on a bbw I decided to pull out a couple rocks and see if I can get this pocket knife I have my pop as present several years ago, before he passed. I figured I'd do a little work and get it sharpened up for my boy. He's 8 so I figured a bbw would be great because it pulls off so much tooth compared to how sharp I keep the 3 knives I carry every day(will hht beard hair while on my face so I can shape my beard in a pinch, or if it'll shave off a fingerprint with no pressure). I broke the tip of the knife of trying to straighten a bend that was making sharpening impossible. I filled it some and shaped it on the side of my Pyrenees. I started on the blue Pyrenees side of the Pyrenees/bbw combo that came with my Les lat. Pyrenees will slurry under the blade with pressure. After I went to a soft charnley with les lat slurry, worked through it then went to Tam slurry on it. After it diluted down and got dark I switched to the bbw. I brought up a slurry on it and worked through. It shaves but if I touch the blade with my fingers it has no bite. Success! (Aside from breaking off the tip)... *Disclaimer*: This is a very excessive amount of stones for what I needed. I could have done the entire thing on just the Pyrenees. No lurkers think that it take all that to get an edge sharp, I just wanted to see the different finishes and polishing action of the slurries. Completely being ocd and excessive.

20220520_174531.jpg

Got this junk kitchen knife out of an apartment I did the make ready on(I guess it's junk I don't know the brand). I never sharpen knives on coticules buy my 8yo boy is going to be cutting cane in the yard tomorrow and I'm not giving him a machete but I figured I'd put his took on a coticule to take the teeth out of it so he doesn't accidently cut himself. I sharpened it on this "slow", proclaimed deep(or old) rock coticule. Worked through lpb slurry. Stone is very fast with any pressure. And I was internet l intending on taking the teeth out of it and leaving that "skin friendly" edge but I think I can shave with this thing...I don't know, I've had drinks and rubbed steel on stone. I can't be bothered with the test of the details but here's pictures. Cheers! Knife is Cutco BTW. I've seen their razors, might even have one. I believe carbon steel, took an edge readily.

20220520_214212.jpg20220520_215055.jpg20220520_215234.jpg

Still playing around with the Bengalls. It’s probably time for me to put these away but I’m enjoying bringing them back to life.

Tonight I gave the older one a session on the Thuri. Lovely feedback. Edge looks good. The toe is improving bit by bit. HHT and tree topping are solid but not quite Arkansas level. I suspect this will be a buttery smooth shave tomorrow.

View attachment 1458762
The Thüringian edge from yesterday was very good but not quite the one. Today I introduced the Bengall to the Shobu and two hit it off straight away. Straight water laps amped the edge up considerably. Just touching hairs onto the edge now causes them to jump off! This is an easy Jnat to use. The only other stone I have that gets up into the Arkansas levels of sharpness. The edge normally feels a bit softer in use than the arks edges but every bit as sharp. I have high expectations for tomorrows shave.

B8DF8104-8290-4DC2-961E-34295A633099.jpeg

Next contender.. I used this knife the most at work. Scraping dap and silicone from toilets, sinks, taking paint of linoleum, ect.. I always finish on novaculite because I like the teeth. Not certain about teeth but it's got bite I just used plain water on both sides. The knife would shave arm hair but pulled in beard hair. It silently hht arm hair. I'll take it.

20220520_223138.jpg

The Thüringian edge from yesterday was very good but not quite the one. Today I introduced the Bengall to the Shobu and two hit it off straight away. Straight water laps amped the edge up considerably. Just touching hairs onto the edge now causes them to jump off! This is an easy Jnat to use. The only other stone I have that gets up into the Arkansas levels of sharpness. The edge normally feels a bit softer in use than the arks edges but every bit as sharp. I have high expectations for tomorrows shave.

View attachment 1459217
La lunes are good at that too. I can give 15 laps on it with lather and I see hair fall before it looks like the edge touched it good. I use it to bring the edge back then hit my thuri for about 5 laps. It's petty nice. My new one is better than my old one(if that's what it is).

View attachment 1459217

I have similar experiences with Bengalls, it usually takes me a little while, and trying a few different stones to really nail them. I find other razors a little easier, and less picky about the stone. Though even with a less than perfect HHT they're pretty good, and when you find the winning combo: completely superb.

Funnily enough I was going through exactly this during the week too. I've shaved very happily with this razor off a few different stones, but each time felt there was more potential. It was only last night that I got it completely perfect I think, using... my Asagi. They clearly like a bit of jnat action!

IMG-8134.jpg

It was also the first real triumph for my homemade roo leather strop, which did noticeably better than David's buffalo one for the first time. On most razors I've preferred the latter.

I don't often go in for 'fool's passes', particularly not left handed and after a few drinks, but the edge was clearly good enough for it. And I still have my nose today, so I'm chalking the whole thing up as an emphatic victory.

I have similar experiences with Bengalls, it usually takes me a little while, and trying a few different stones to really nail them. I find other razors a little easier, and less picky about the stone. Though even with a less than perfect HHT they're pretty good, and when you find the winning combo: completely superb.

Funnily enough I was going through exactly this during the week too. I've shaved very happily with this razor off a few different stones, but each time felt there was more potential. It was only last night that I got it completely perfect I think, using... my Asagi. They clearly like a bit of jnat action!

View attachment 1459232

It was also the first real triumph for my homemade roo leather strop, which did noticeably better than David's buffalo one for the first time. On most razors I've preferred the latter.

I don't often go in for 'fool's passes', particularly not left handed and after a few drinks, but the edge was clearly good enough for it. And I still have my nose today, so I'm chalking the whole thing up as an emphatic victory.
Shoot a roo for me. Will send dry ice and 7.62x39 for the sks.

View attachment 1459232

I like to play razor roulette too. I always shave after 7-8 drinks. Very carefully.

Top Bottom