What's new

What did you hone today?

7/8 goodness
28E1128D-EDF0-446A-A99D-E3FA342CCE33.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This evening I honed a 9/16 Peter Willer down from 200k pasted balsa edge to a 14k film edge. I recently shaved with a jnat edge done by an experienced honemeister I know and used a 1um film edge I had done the next day and found the film edge to shave and feel like the jnat so I’m doing a little experimenting. Have to eliminate the imagination factor.

Just can not get a good jnat edge for the life of me. Back to practicing on the jnats again since I have more time, using heljestrand razors (MK 4 and MK 7). Both razors were in the 5k ish/coticule range before I took DMT slurry on each stone (diluted 2-3 times before doing 10-20 finishing strokes light slurry). Currently using the jnats on a hard top surface with a rubber holder (before I would hand hone with the asagi). Both razors gave okay shaves, however it just takes 25-30 ish strokes on the coticule under running water and the edge greatly improves (sharpness and smoothness). Love the stones but just getting really tired of messing with them trying different methods and naguras with the same results. Stones IMO are definitely good quality (asagi from alex and the kiita from a friend).

double.jpg

You've just been spoiled by that fancy brick of coticule you've got.

Haha I suppose, it has been my go to edge forever now. Wanting to be able to get that consistent jnat edge going eventually. Just need to cool down a bit and mess around with the stones some more later. Love the coticule edge, but want that laser jnat edge for when I go a week+ without shaving

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Beautiful bricks guys. Steve did Takeshi rate it at a 9.3? That’s the finest I ever saw him go on a stone.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hey David, 9.4 I think. But if you believe 0.1 I have a stone to sell you! I have finer (and harder) stones.

He had a suita, Ao I think, at something like 9.6. I asked him about it for razors and got a very simple reply, ‘No good for razors’.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I shaved with this as received with minor touch up and it shaved well enough but yesterday I rehoned it from bevel set to a 200K balsa progression using lapping film to 14K then the balsa. I've been using The Method for two years but have been picking up on some recent pieces of advice from @Slash McCoy and modified my honing accordingly with spectacular results. This razor is now absolutely, without question, shavette sharp - something I've rarely achieved.

Tried correcting my first attempt at putting a decent edge on my 5/8 dovo silver steel. Cant really say it went well but had a go, i bought this razor thinking it will last me a lifetime but the way honing is going there will be nothing left of it soon. Used norton combination stones 220/1000 and 4000/8000, did not use 220 grit, and then to finish off a dovo canvas/leather strop with red paste on canvas and black paste on leather.

Tried correcting my first attempt at putting a decent edge on my 5/8 dovo silver steel. Cant really say it went well but had a go, i bought this razor thinking it will last me a lifetime but the way honing is going there will be nothing left of it soon. Used norton combination stones 220/1000 and 4000/8000, did not use 220 grit, and then to finish off a dovo canvas/leather strop with red paste on canvas and black paste on leather.
I feel your pain. As a beginning honer I ruined a couple gold dollars. I thought I had the hang of it then did a number on a Hart. If I could do it again I would have bought another gold dollar or two before pronouncing myself ready to take on the Hart.
My best advice is to lighten way up on any pressure you are applying to the blade both on the stones and on the strop. Try lightening up by half or three quarters and see if you notice an improvement in the edge.
Keep at it ~ took me a very long time to get the hang of it.

Top Bottom