What's new

What did you hone today?

Honed my Osiris and a Jerry Stark for a friend. Osiris finished on the La Lune and the Jerry took a ride on the Suhiero Guykomo 20k. The Stark had a few rolls in the edge and need the bevel reset. Mows hair like a dream again.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I received this GD W59 about 6 weeks ago. One of the better quality GDs that I have received. The main quality issue for me with this SR was that it came with a 4mm (5/32") smile. I'm normally a happy sort of person but a 4mm smile was a bit more that I can like.

I put this SR away once I got it and this morning took it out to see what I could do with it. Needing a bit of honing practice, I decided to remove most of the smile and start the edge from scratch.

I bread-knifed the edge back to a 180deg x 0.5mm wide "bevel" on the side of a 400 synthetic stone. Then all the work hard work began. I started setting the bevel on the 400 stone and moved on to a 1k synthetic stone to finish it off. That got it to shaving arm hairs.

From the synthetics, I then moved on to my only other whetstone, a 5k natural from Turkey. That bought the edge up to just tree-topping.

From the stones, I then progressed through 9u, 3u and 1u lapping film to refine the edge. All worked well. I now have an edge on this GD W59 that easily tree-tops at bout 10mm (3/8").

Tommorow I will work this SR through my pasted balsa strops routine to get it to my shave-ready standard. Here it is now. The smile is now about 1mm.

IMG20200410110516.jpg
It was enjoyable getting back into some stone work. Next week I will replace my Titan 1818 ACRM-2 in my 2 x SR rotation with this W59 to see if I can further refine the edge to pass my UET.

D36CDA61-649C-4150-8115-C8D849B046DB.jpeg

Lots of cooking these past weeks. The virus had seen to that. Couple go-to knives needed attention.
TOP-Shun 3 1/2" Classic Paring knife
BOTTOM/Tojiro 5" ITK Petty knife
Both worked out on a King 250/1000 combination stone. Finished on a Naniwa Aotoishi 2k Green Brick. Ready for some kitchen work now😉

Among a few notable blades on the stones today, this one stands out - prob because I just shaved with it.
I'ts a pre 50s Fill 14. Started with removing pitting in the bevel and along the edge, then a full bevel set. In this pic I just finished at 8k, ready to jump to a Jnat progression that will remove the synth fingerprint and leave me with a liquid velvet light saber.

proxy.php

A little fun tonight with a barber's hone.
IMG_20200410_211752.jpgIMG_20200410_211814.jpg
Picked up this Swaty three-line a while ago. Finally lapped the back side with the DMT-95, then 600 wet/dry and finished with 1000 wet/dry. I then whipped up a Tabac lather and tried it out on the Eye Witness which felt like it was ready for a refresh. Finished by stropping on linen and then leather.

Treetops well above the skin and seemed to improve the edge. But I won't really know until tomorrow's shave test.

Shaved today with this antique cast steel razor honed on a Jnat. One of the more comfortable razors I own. I believe it reads "Niver Ally Approved - Best Cast Steel". The markings look to be cold stamped one letter at a time. I honed this razor about 2 years ago and shaved with it, left it in a drawer and just pulled it out yesterday and didn't do a thing to it except do an HHT on it, I didn't even strop it, passed 4+ to 5's. Perfect shave, close enough and comfortable. I don't know why they don't make this steel anymore. These old wedges just drift through the whiskers.

Alx

Attachments

• nivercaststeel1.JPG
    nivercaststeel1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • nivercaststeel2.JPG
    nivercaststeel2.JPG
    786.2 KB · Views: 31
A little fun tonight with a barber's hone.
View attachment 1085322View attachment 1085323
Picked up this Swaty three-line a while ago. Finally lapped the back side with the DMT-95, then 600 wet/dry and finished with 1000 wet/dry. I then whipped up a Tabac lather and tried it out on the Eye Witness which felt like it was ready for a refresh. Finished by stropping on linen and then leather.

Treetops well above the skin and seemed to improve the edge. But I won't really know until tomorrow's shave test.

Follow-up:

This morning was the shave test for the Taylor's I refreshed on the Swaty. To be honest I want expecting much. I'm use to a synthetic progression to 12k followed by the diamond pasted balsa progression to 0.1u. how could a 8k-ish barber hone compare to that?
IMG_20200412_101007-01.jpeg
The answer is that it compares very well. 10 or so laps on the Swaty followed by 30 laps on leather brought the edge back to everything I could want. Buttery smooth, extremely close shave today.

After cleaning up this one, all marks are gone.
It used to say Saint-Paul I think.
Anyway, now it is unmarked.
Honed it on a bevel on DMT, then Norton 4K and 8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K, Shapton 16K and GM20K.
Honed.jpg

Glad to see everyone busy honing their treasures. I decided to reset all the bevels on razors that I had been using tape on. Here is the second razor I honed ~ it didn't give up without a fight and a blister on my right hand ring finger. Brian Brown 6/8 Spanish point shorty dressed in black horn. Shaved like a dream this morning.

IMG_3232.jpeg

NOS Le Grelot TI historic steel ~ the edge was covered in some kind of lacquer from the factory. A little alcohol removed it quickly. The edge wasn't bad at all. I sharpied it and started on an 8k. Bevel was set, there was some HHT but a spot towards the heal on one side was not making good contact with the stone so I went back to a 3K and did some rolling X's, then 5k, 8k, Asagi with DN slurry and finished on the Kiita. Shave this morning was sublime. It plowed through my tough beard without complaint. If I were a barber this is the kind of blade I would use on my customers. I think it could handle anything. I should mention I have been looking for over 6 years to find one of these. It came at a great time when I could use a lift. Hope you are all well.

IMG_3237.jpeg

Yesterday's hone. Daishi 350 kamisori finished on this very hard stone using tomo slurry. Old wood base has cracked and I have thought about sealing it but it gives the stone an antique look so leaving it alone.
Very close shave as one would expect from a kami.

fullsizeoutput_1d17.jpeg

After a cleanup and rescale over the last several weeks, today I got the new (to me) Greaves on the stones and strops.
IMG_20200424_155040.jpgIMG_20200424_155048.jpg
1k, 4k, 8k Norton, 12k Naniwa, pasted balsa progression, stropped on clean leather. Popping arm hairs from across the room. Shave test tomorrow!

Top Bottom