What's new

What did you hone today?

Gold dollar. Vintage Coti dilucot. A little on water. Apache red then apache strata. A final 50 half laps and 20 laps on water only on the coti. Very nice. If it is repeatable like this I think I have something to work with.

Steve
Bad *** looking blade, but how's the stropping action? I found that angular blades or scales hinder smooth back and forth stroppping patterns.

Alex

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hi Jeremy, glad you're back in the saddle! The blade is identical to the King Pelican 14, but the tang isn't!

Alex, the biggest hindrance is the tang is tapered in width, it gets thinner toward the monkey tail and makes it feel a little unbalanced. The only other razor I have like this is oddly enough, a Gelles-Freres, also a heavy grind. I wish they wouldn't taper the tang on heavy blades like this, but it does make you pay attention. I just finished a shave with it and it shaves like a dream.

Glad you're here too Alex, I thought you might be under water!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
John Watts frameback and nice Fox Bros Sheffield half-hollow for myself, nifty little stainless Saville and big stupid Sweeney Todd stupid stupid stupid stupid for my good shaving friend Paul
proxy.php

Experimenting finishing with feox and also wondering if the bevel will ever set on that Sweeney Todd abomination...stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Apologies for the photo the only camera I have is on my laptop.

A vintage German razor with a Maine pharmacy Co. stamp F.E. Baker, Lewiston.
Touched up on a Welsh slate. (the so called "Welsh Thuringian")

$Welsh_hone.jpg

A little cross thread story: I got this hone when I first started honing for touch-ups and as a finisher after an 8k, but it didn't work too well for me. (because I couldn't hone very well) Not saying I can now either. So this hone has been languishing as a base for other hones to raise them up a little. Then I saw one of David's (Dcaddo111) honing vids on the Lets make some honing video thread.
After watching that I snooped around on his youtube channel and watched his touching up with an escher vid.
So I did that with my Welsh slate this morning, and the shave was very nice. I think I said wow a couple of times during the shave.
Thanks David!

Apologies for the photo the only camera I have is on my laptop.

A vintage German razor with a Maine pharmacy Co. stamp F.E. Baker, Lewiston.
Touched up on a Welsh slate. (the so called "Welsh Thuringian")
Pleased to hear it's working well. My son has got me one of those "Welsh Thuringians" for Christmas!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool man. Glad the video was helpful. I've had stones like that too where you don't like them at first and can't get good results so you put them away and pull them out later and find that they work great. Funny how that works sometimes.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Cool man. Glad the video was helpful. I've had stones like that too where you don't like them at first and can't get good results so you put them away and pull them out later and find that they work great. Funny how that works sometimes.

Ive noticed that too. I'm pretty sure the stone hasn't changed, so that has to mean we have gotten better at feeling out our natural stones.

Cheers, Steve

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Dont lie David, you LOVE it!
to prove to you that I don't love tape, I'm about to hone this beautiful Hart that I have of yours without any tape. I think I'll set the bevel on my DMT dia flat. When I'm finished ill send it to mike the knife guy for proper stropping.

to prove to you that I don't love tape, I'm about to hone this beautiful Hart that I have of yours without any tape. I think I'll set the bevel on my DMT dia flat. When I'm finished ill send it to mike the knife guy for proper stropping.

If Mike's going to strop it you shouldn't even need to hone it!

Oh nose! I retract my previous statement!

I hadn't honed anything in a while so it was good to do some last night. I refined the edges on a Dovo, a Wagner & Lange and a Red Point. They got a few strokes on some 3, 1 and 0.5 micron lapping film.

After that I honed a Taylors Eye Witness. That needed a lot of work to get to decent steel due to the amount of pitting st the edge. I took that up to 0.5 micron as well.

I honed an Undeland UNXLD, a Flinn's Flyer, Clean Clipper, Queen 5/8 and a Queen 1/2. All except the Clipper were minty and had nice tiny bevels. The Clipper had a few nicks towards the toe.

Finished my Fox Bros Sheffield half-hollow with my new Welsh 15k (an excellent Christmas present from my son).
proxy.php

Can this stone be as good as they say?

Top Bottom