What's new

What did you hone today?

Actually, what I honed last night.

Olean ~9/16 wedge received off the 'Bay. 1k Suehiro to remove the micro-chipping, 6k Suehiro to polish the bevel and smooth the edge. 8 laps Solingen red-pasted loom strop, 12 laps loom leather, and an excellent, smooth, sharp, and close shave this morning.

Last edited:
Dovo best 5/8 full hollow (my first razor). Had a very close shave with it yesterday but it seemed less smooth than it has. After multiple frustrating efforts to get my la grise past hht1 (which is eat to get to) I went to apache red then strata. Sorry hht4 after 10 laps palm stropping, but after 100 each linen and leather surprisingly got easy hht4's across the blade. I wasn't expecting much, even had a backup razor stropped and ready to go, but it turned out much better than I expected. Fairly keen and very smooth.

Still searching for a consistent progression to a keen smooth edge...

Coti alone or coti to apache strata, but i have trouble getting it completely finished on a consistent basis. I can get sharp but a little harsh film edges easily and I can get decent jnat edges consistently, but they are not quite as smooth as the coti/apache edges. I really like the coti or coti -> apache edges, I just have trouble getting far enough on the coti to either finish or to take to the apache for finishing. I had hoped for something simpler and quicker than a full jnat progression and occasionally get it but often something doesn't work during the coti part and the edge seems to stall at hht1

I think its just a matter of practice. I have dedicated a gold dollar for this and have been trying to rehone it whenever I have some time. Sometimes success sometimes not

Legion

Staff member
Bengall, trying to learn my new black mottled Thuringian. The HHT on this one looks promising.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Jeremy the lines have no effect on the edge. The manganese lines and spots are actually something I look for in a coticule. Even that crazy spotted dressante I have leaves a nice even scratch pattern.

Legion

Staff member
David, do you get a nice consistent scratch pattern with that stone? Just wondering if the colored inclusions have any affect.

I don't have a microscope, but under a 60x loupe the scratch seems even. I'm not sure what the inclusions are, the red would indicate iron? But I can't feel them, and they don't seem to be an issue.

This is only razor #2 with this hone. This one worked a lot better. I think I "overcooked" the first one, treating a Thuri like a coti.

Edit: Oh, you mean me or that David ^ :lol:

Turner & Co. Suffolk Works Sheffield; used two Apaches to get a super smooth edge
(Chosera 1k >Norton 4k > Apache red > Apache Strata > linen/leather strop)

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Eiko Yasuki Silver Steel on a Nakayama kan koppa. I've really been enjoying the Japanese razors made of the Yasuki Silver Steel - good stuff for sure.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1713.jpg
    $IMG_1713.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 131
Top Bottom