What's new

What did you hone today? -Knife and tool edition

That’s it. I’ve been putting up with your BBW shenanigans, but now this blasphemy about a crusty old India being better than my favorite stone? Who’s got the ban button?

Ha! I can't imagine what would go down if I said something like that on KKF. Though I did start a thread a while back about the India Coarse n Fine called 'The Greatest Sharpening Stone in the World' so they're probably used to it ;).

In my defence though, might I make a niche semantic point about the difference between favourite and best... Looked at objectively I do genuinely think the Med India is a slightly better stone, though it's a close run thing. Having said that I use the SG500 more, which says to me that I probably prefer it over the India. Or at least that it's better for the applications that I use them for.

I'll try to write up a comparison later on...

“I think the Medium India is a slightly better stone. Also something that I hadn't really clocked before is that it finishes quite noticeably higher than the SG500, which'll be a product of being harder.”

Yes, the lowly Norton India stone is way under rated, but was very popular back in the day before the modern Japanese synthetics. There is a reason that many can still be found in hand made boxes, they were coveted stones because, they worked.

Here is an interesting look at the potential of a $20 India stone. For me they are great stones and I often use them for tools off the grinder and finish on a 16k Shapton micro bevel.

They are quick and capable of a nice finish.

PRECISION GROUND TOOLROOM STONES

So, my first Kitchen knife Oli @cotedupy
It’s not pretty but sharper than before. I had to go down the „400“ side to raise a burr and there was not much feedback from the knife so I guess it’s a) rather soft and b) I’m still to ham handed.

CA996CB5-AA1A-42BA-ACDC-4A6F614ED153.jpeg

How to tackle the next one?

1442F354-1CCA-44BE-90AA-0513A843A8B8.jpeg

3A38805C-72CA-416A-848E-56277E3E8BE6.jpeg

So, my first Kitchen knife Oli @cotedupy
It’s not pretty but sharper than before. I had to go down the „400“ side to raise a burr and there was not much feedback from the knife so I guess it’s a) rather soft and b) I’m still to ham handed.

View attachment 1541822

How to tackle the next one?

View attachment 1541823

View attachment 1541824

Nice work with the Victorinox! Good knife to practice on, because as you said - they're very thin, and can get very sharp indeed. Those knives aren't to be sniffed at actually; rubber handled, stainless Victorinox are easily the knives I see most in London pro kitchens.

F Dick (I bet that name gets censored by the swear filter!) are good knives too; those German carbon steels can take really lovely edges ime.

However as you noticed, you do have the dreaded finger guard 😬. Ideally you want to try grinding that down as much as possible on your coarsest stone, though it takes quite a lot of work and those stones may not be up to the task. It's basically going to stop you from sharpening the very heel at a proper angle, so you may just have to work around it and not have the first couple of cms particularly sharp.

Nice work with the Victorinox! Good knife to practice on, because as you said - they're very thin, and can get very sharp indeed. Those knives aren't to be sniffed at actually; rubber handled, stainless Victorinox are easily the knives I see most in London pro kitchens.

F Dick (I bet that name gets censored by the swear filter!) are good knives too; those German carbon steels can take really lovely edges ime.

However as you noticed, you do have the dreaded finger guard 😬. Ideally you want to try grinding that down as much as possible on your coarsest stone, though it takes quite a lot of work and those stones may not be up to the task. It's basically going to stop you from sharpening the very heel at a proper angle, so you may just have to work around it and not have the first couple of cms particularly sharp.
Yeah the next one is a gesenkgeschmiedeter Doppelkropf - one has to love German nomenclatures right :)

I’ll try to reprofile on the „400“ and see how that goes. Btw the Cerax 1k/3k arrived today :thumbsup:

Legion

Staff member
I don’t know WHAT my wife did to the edge of this knife, but from the look of it she was cutting up soda cans. I went to cut up an orange for the kid, and 🤨

Anyway, a Norton #1 Washita came to the rescue.

9B5FC353-2BAE-4AE2-8896-DEAFE139945C.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
How do you go about the excess material of the finger guard at the heel?
LoL. Ignore it and just hone the edge up to there. It's like a stopper. Place it against the stone then draw the blade to the tip.

When the blade eventually wears down the guard will need the be ground down so the heal of the cutting edge contacts the board, but it's ok for now.

When I need to do it it wont take long on my belt grinder.

LoL. Ignore it and just hone the edge up to there. It's like a stopper. Place it against the stone then draw the blade to the tip.

When the blade eventually wears down the guard will need the be ground down so the heal of the cutting edge contacts the board, but it's ok for now.

When I need to do it it wont take long on my belt grinder.

This is exactly my approach to fingerguards on knives belonging to me or my family - put it off until you absolutely have to. Come to think of it - that's a good general approach for most bothersome tasks in life.

(If sharpening for other people I do tend to grind them down a bit, so that they can do touch ups more easily.)

After the repair job on the Shibata above I then put it later on an Okudo Renge Suita. It's a really cracking stone both for high-grit polishes, and gorgeous edges on good steels.

I possibly didn't need to slice the very old and soft tomatoes quite this show-off-paper-thin in order to make a pasta sauce. But I did anyway!

IMG-2033.jpg

IMG-1924.jpg

And later - Ceramic vs...

Atoma (Diamond)
SG500 (SiC & AlOx)
Dan's Washita (Silica)
Coti / BBW (Garnet)

Be interesting to see if any of the other abrasives make a dent.

IMG-2266.jpg

Oli that coti looks even better by the day. Mine doesn't seem to be changing much. That thing looks like a Iromono JNAT.

Good spot! I have indeed been chucking it outside occasionally for a 'top up' whenever we have a bit sun.

And yeah - it is quite 'iromono' isn't it :). A lot of the colour is more pink-red-orange, than it is darker brown. So I might not tan it too much more tbh.

Top Bottom