What's new

What constitutes a good or bad lather?

This may seem like a silly question, but I realized that I wasn't quite sure! I went looking through the forum and didn't see it answered concisely in any one place.

What are the qualities of a good lather from shaving cream?
What are the signs of a bad lather?

If you could include pictures of what it should look like, that would be great!

Thank you,

WhatBear

I've watched his videos a few times now, and I can see the ridges, but I'm not sure what else to look/feel for. I've had several batches of lather that varied in quality and volume, but had the ridges.

Any other pointers?

Good lather: enough for 3 passes, does not dry quickly, lets the blade glide smooth, pleasant smell

Bad lather: as seen in Mantic's videos it can be not hydrated enough (not cover your brush well), too water down and runny, does not give you enough lubrication for the blade (which most people fix by adding oil or glycerin, but in my opinion that makes for a bad soap or cream if you have to add to it)

Variables: #1 technique, then everything else... hardness of water, brush, beard type

I am sure B&B shaving gurus can add more info.

Here is one for shaving cream, and here is one for soap.

Besides instructing you on the lather building process, both articles give pretty good descriptions of what you're trying to achieve and also have good pics. For further info, you might try reading some of the reviews in the review section.

I went looking, but didn't find that thread. That was Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!

WhatBear

No problem. There are so many great posts on this site that it can be difficult finding the exact one you need/want.

Top Bottom