What's new

What blade is the WORST for you.....

Feathers,... great shave, but the next day my face will be sort of bumpy, where the hairs are pushing up. If I shave the next day, I bleed!

My worst come from both ends of the spectrum.
1) Derby Extra - Tons of tugging and couldn't get a close shave.
2) Feather - I am able to get a close shave, no nicks or cuts... but it's just not comfortable. At all.

Funny, was the Shark Chrome, but this week I had 5 outstanding shaves with another Shark blade. But the first Kai I used was scratchy and not very sharp, nor smooth. Not even close to Feather blades.

Shark Chrome....used twice and the second time it felt as if fine sandpaper were being glided down my cheek.

Since I'm still working through my tryablade.com sampler pack, I haven't yet experienced a truly bad blade. The Voskhod is rough on the first pass, but then it settles down. The Feather is sharp, no doubt about that, but like a high-end sports car it's not for the novice. The Gillette 7 O'Clock black and the Dorco Prime Platinum seem to be roughly equal to each other, and I'm really liking them both.

But up next is the Derby Extra. We'll see if it lives up to the hype, so to speak.

I think Derby should get an award for most hated blade!

Only because it is so often used. There are other blades that are more consistently hated, but so fewer people have tried them that they don't keep popping up on the forum.

Sharp Hi Chromium DuraBlade, for example: I can only remember one member saying he loved them, and everyone else on the thread called him nuts. There are also some brands from China and elsewhere in southeast Asia that are pretty much never given praise, but their names escape me at the moment.

VDH gets my vote. I actually threw them away just because giving them to someone and letting them use them would have been cruel and inhuman.

There has to be some reasonable explanation as to why some people like certain blades and some hate the same blade? I always see YMMV but that doesn't make sense. I wonder if two people have compared the exact same blade in the same razor?

ive noticed that anything labeled as stainless doesnt last more than 1 shave. ill use then for that one shave but i have to be pretty desperate, and out of my favorite blades. ill revisit them later after i have more experience but after the second shave i break out in acne bad, weepers, and irritation all over, looks like i dragged my face on a cinder block.

That's the problem. Nacet is SHARP. If I'd used them starting out as a rookie, I'd have sworn them off as terrible too. Now they're my favorite blade, although I do still have to be careful.

It's like learning to drive stick shift in a sports car. Much easier to learn in a Corolla first, then move up.

Haha true, I will tried them again in a couple of months

There has to be some reasonable explanation as to why some people like certain blades and some hate the same blade? I always see YMMV but that doesn't make sense. I wonder if two people have compared the exact same blade in the same razor?

I think it has been discussed a few times why that might be. A lot of times it seems that the most hated blades are the ones that people try first (e.g. Derby and Merkur) but others find blades later that they hate. I always like to revist my hated blades after a time and sometimes I will change my mind.

Gotta go with Lord's and Big Ben's. Really brutal IMO. Rather drag a rusty lawnmower blade across my face than use either of them. Would love to see Feather do something to their blades where I can get more than 2 incredible 3-pass shaves. Have them in my arsenal, will always have them in my arsenal, but they're 2 and out for me. Don't know why, but they just drop off after shave#2 for me. Fortunately, blades are relatively cheap in price so no big deal. Also helps when stockpiling 200+ of your top 4-5 favorite blades.

My RiMei razor comes with a single “RiMei” razor blade. It was awful. Thrown away after one pass.
proxy.php

I had to let the box of Durasharp Treet's go. Only 3 passes and the third wasn't very close. Gave it to a buddy who's just started DE Shaving. He might like it.

Top Bottom